Options

Camping

I searched and the only threads I found about camping were about camping out for GA. I also didn't want to infringe on the National Parks thread,

I got at least two or three times a year. The last few years I've been renting old fire lookouts. Secured one this morning it'll be the 8th I've stayed at. Here it is.

#FHP

Comments

• Options
    amethgr8amethgr8 Posts: 766
    we are taking our travel trailer to Nashville an STL would like any recommendations for nearby, nice or otherwise cool campground to stay at...
    But that is awesome
    Amy The Great #74594
    New Orleans LA 7/4/95 reschedule 9/17/95
    Chicago IL 1998, 10/9/00, 06/18/03, 05/16/06, 05/17/06
    08/23/09, 08/24/09, Lolla 08/05/07
    Champaign IL 4/23/03
    Grand Rapids MI VFC 10/03/04
    Grand Rapids MI 19May06
    Noblesville IN 05/07/10 Cleveland OH 05/09/10
    PJ 20 2011
    Baltimore MD, Charlottesville VA, Seattle WA 2013
    St. Louis MO, Milwaukee WI 2014
    Tampa FL, Chicago IL, Lexington KY 2016
    Missoula MT 2018
  • Options
    darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,762
    Camping: it's in tents!

Horos, that looks pretty fun. I think I've seen similar things available in the Canadian rockies.
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • Options

Horos, that looks pretty fun. I think I've seen similar things available in the Canadian rockies.
    I agree but we have the trailer, he didn't have to ask twice, so that's our accommodations. All campgrounds in both TN and MO look pretty reasonable.
    Amy The Great #74594
    Champaign IL 4/23/03
    Grand Rapids MI 19May06
    PJ 20 2011
    Missoula MT 2018
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    You can just poop over the railing.
  • Options
    amethgr8 said:

I agree but we have the trailer, he didn't have to ask twice, so that's our accommodations. All campgrounds in both TN and MO look pretty reasonable.
    I think you missed the joke there. The clever play on words I used. :)

I have a pop up camper, but would really like to have a travel trailer instead. I would be far more likely to use it more often then.
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • Options
    Oh, yea, I missed that. Lol.  I'm such a serious dork sometimes
    Amy The Great #74594
    Champaign IL 4/23/03
    Grand Rapids MI 19May06
    PJ 20 2011
    Missoula MT 2018
  • Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434

Yes, please. 
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,518
    edited January 2020
    At 6 months, my baby girl woke to the sound of gentle rain on our tent. Her eyes were amazed with wonder at this new sound. While I beheld this treasured moment, she the raised her arm, moved her little fingers, equally as astonished, as if saying, "And whoa! I have a hand!"
    Post edited by Spunkie on
  • Options
    HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
    Jason P said:
    You can just poop over the railing.
    It is usually a bit of a walk to the toilet. I have a video of the walk at another I've been to. I have peed off the rail as has the grandson.
    #FHP
  • Options
    We do a couple of tent trips as well.

The lookouts are really just a fancy place to gather and sleep. Thunder storms came in the first time we went it was pretty cool. None of them have water so you always have to pack that in.
    #FHP
  • Options
    stuckinlinestuckinline Posts: 3,358
    I camp a few times a year! Nothing beats sitting around a campfire.

• Options
    This was my granddaughter's first lookout last summer. She was 6 months.
    And my grandson at the same one. He's 8 and this year will be his 4th lookout.

#FHP
  • Options
    I'm too inept to post a video but here's a link of Fall Mountain that the wife and I went to last year.

https://www.facebook.com/mike.horos/videos/10220280992000903/
    #FHP
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    That sure does seem pretty awesome! How do know where to find these places? I'll be in California early this summer. Likely in the Yosemite/Sequoia area. It might be pretty cool to experience staying in a similar type of place.
    Post edited by darwinstheory on
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,711
    edited January 2020
    Horos said:
    I searched and the only threads I found about camping were about camping out for GA. I also didn't want to infringe on the National Parks thread,

I got at least two or three times a year. The last few years I've been renting old fire lookouts. Secured one this morning it'll be the 8th I've stayed at. Here it is.

I've wanted to do that for years, ever since reading Edward Abbey's novel The Black Sun:

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    I get out at least once a year. Usually NW Connecticut or PA near trout town USA.  My kids hate it. 
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,252
    I can't wait for camping season!

@Horos
    How hard is it to get/book one of those lookouts?
  • Options
    JojoRiceJojoRice Kennesaw, GA Posts: 3,926
    I go camping up in the North Georgia mountains every year for some trout fishing.  Love catching them and eating them. 
    "I got memories, I got shit"

ISO 2016 Greenville shirt. Size medium. PM me if you have one for sale/trade.
  • Options
    That sure does seem pretty awesome! How do know where to find these places? I'll be in California early this summer. Likely in the Yosemite/Sequoia area. It might be pretty cool to experience staying in a similar type of place.
    mca47 said:
    I can't wait for camping season!

@Horos
    How hard is it to get/book one of those lookouts?
    I find them at recreation.gov. There's more around the country but I've only looked into OR so far. Most only accommodate 2-4.

You have to reserve them six months in advance. They get booked the second the window of availability opens. It's worse than going for concert tickets because only one person is going to get it. This one took three weeks of trying each time it opened up.
    #FHP
  • Options
    Here's some pics from tent camping at Crescent Lake last year.
    #FHP
  • Options
    JojoRice said:
    I go camping up in the North Georgia mountains every year for some trout fishing.  Love catching them and eating them. 
    I used to love to go on opening day years ago. I've kind of lost my patience for fishing but lately have been thinking about introducing the grandson.
    #FHP
  • Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    Horos said:
    JojoRice said:
    I used to love to go on opening day years ago. I've kind of lost my patience for fishing but lately have been thinking about introducing the grandson.
    That will teach you an entirely new type of patience. 
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    Get_Right said:
    I get out at least once a year. Usually NW Connecticut or PA near trout town USA.  My kids hate it. 
    My oldest always hated it to. Now my middle daughter and her kids look forward to it every year.
    #FHP