Would love Gigaton in its entirety to begin each show.

So excited for the new tunes.

Comments

• While I share you excitement for the new tunes, I would absolutely hate that...I've seen a few full-album shows (The Wall, Violent Femmes first album) and after a few songs in you realize how unexciting it is, knowing exactly what's coming next...one of the best parts of live music to me is wondering what songs will be played and wondering "what's next," both of which would be lost opening with the album.

Just my opinion...
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • pearldavidsonpearldavidson PA Posts: 1,361
    edited January 2020
    I’m excited for the new music too, but one of Pearl Jam’s greatest qualities is mixing it up at the live shows. Too much Gigaton will get stale.
  • deadendpdeadendp Posts: 10,434
    I appreciate a full album show, but will say that it would get old for the band and the fans if at every single NAL1 show. 
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 7,744
    Gonna wait to hear the new record before I +1 this
  • That would be one dead crowd 2 or 3 songs in.
  • What?    No. 
  • DeadmanDeadman Posts: 792
    Yeah I knew this wouldn’t be popular but I sure would love it!   :)=)
  • KN219077KN219077 Posts: 1,071
    We haven’t even heard the album yet. I wouldn’t mich care for the last two albums to be played front to back
  • rider10rider10 Posts: 41
    Last time I saw St. Vincent she did her older songs first. Then she came out and did the new album from beginning to end. I love when bands do full albums honestly. If I'm at a show where PJ plays any of their albums in full, It'd probably be up there as one of my all time favorites.
  • stickmanstickman Posts: 1,008
    Been to 100+ concerts in my days.  Never seen a show where an album was played from to back.  Local H did a tour where they would drawn an album title out of a hat , then go on stage and play it.  I wanted to see them on that tour as I thought the idea sounded cool.  
  • raindog80raindog80 Posts: 1,158
    Deadman said:
    Would be the best. Difficult will happen.
    "I like beautiful melodies telling me terrible things" - Tom Waits
    pearljamonline.it
  • jefftjefft Posts: 657
    A few songs maybe, but an entire NEW album, those beer lines will be really long.
  • demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,340
    I hope they get to play the whole album from beginning to end @ one of their Canadian shows this March.
  • PB11041PB11041 Posts: 2,805
    I am in as long as it means sidelining the 500x played songs in favor of the less played too.

I could give a fuck less about the clowns coming to hear the one song they remember from 1994 at their frat party.
    His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

• JT167846JT167846 Posts: 897
    Probably 6 new songs per gig as per the Amsterdam double header in 2014. They did MYM, Sirens and LB both nights plus three others that changed. Only ones we didn't get were Infallible, YM and FD. Since they also did Even Flow, Alive and Better Man both nights I was laughing at the irrational thought that the sets were going stale already. You won't get everything I assume but there'll be more than enough gems to send you home happy. Hell they opened with HTI the second gig at Ziggo.
    Stars are suns to other people.

Wellington 1998
    London 2007
    Brisbane 2009
    Stockholm 2012
    Amsterdam 1 & 2 2014
    EV Dublin 2017
    Milan 2018
    Padova 2018
    Boston 2 2018
  • fgdanzifgdanzi Posts: 137
    I was lucky enough to have been at the No Code show in Moline and the Vs. show in Greenville. Incredible evenings but I don’t think a new album would have the same effect, at least not right away. Don’t get me wrong, excited about some new music for sure but those album shows had a different vibe especially Moline with only Lightning Bolt and Infallible from LB being played. 
  • JimmyVJimmyV Posts: 19,128
    A Pearl Jam tour that features the same 12 songs to start every show? No thanks. 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • No you wouldn’t.  Especially being in a crowd with half the people who haven’t heard any of it yet.   

Looking forward to new album and hearing most if not all of it played, but not in continuity in a single show just after release. 
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • I understand your excitement,   but I say no way.  
    I recall seeing Smashing Pumpkins do this on their tour for Oceania (1st and only time I've seen them),...played the entire new album before they kicked into any of the older stuff.  Was a total buzz kill.  But Billy didn't give a fuck,...he stuck to the plan.

• mattcozmattcoz Posts: 2,202
    I think this would be terrible for the people going to multiple shows. One of the best things about their shows is how different they are from one night to the next. Even if you're going to just one show, that anticipation of wondering what they'll open with would be lost.
  • RiotAct10RiotAct10 Posts: 1,618
    Deadman said:
    How many shows will you be attending?
    words seem so out of place.

8.21.00 Columbus | 6.24.03 Columbus | 7.9.03 NYC | 10.2.04 Toledo | 9.11.05 Kitchener | 5.20.06 Cleveland | 8.5.07 Chicago | 5.6.10 Columbus | 5.7.10 Noblesville | 5.9.10 Cleveland | 9.3.11 East Troy | 9.4.11 East Troy | 7.19.13 Chicago | 10.11.13 Pittsburgh | 10.1.14 Cincinnati | 4.8.16 Ft. Lauderdale | 4.9.16 Miami | 8.8.18 Seattle | 8.10.18 Seattle | 9.26.21 Dana Point | 10.1.21 Dana Point | 10.2.21 Dana Point | 9.16.22 Nashville | 9.17.22 Louisville | 9.18.22 St. Louis | 9.2.23 St. Paul | 9.15.23 Ft. Worth | 6.22.24 Dublin | 8.26.24 Noblesville
    6.26.11 Detroit (EdVed) | 9.23.17 Louisville (EdVed) | 9.25.21 Dana Point (EdVed) | 10.01.22 Dana Point (EdVed) | 2.6.22 Newark (EdVed)
  • Would never happen with PJ.  I'm honestly surprised (and grateful) that they decided to do full album shows over the last few tours and I was able to see No Code, Yield, and Ten from that.  It's better done as a nostalgia thing or to mark the anniversary of a significant album for a band, not to play a new album not everyone knows or came to see front to back.  I like the way they sprinkle in a handful of new songs per show and if you see a few nights of them you may see the whole thing.  That's a good way to build excitement without it getting stale.
    I won't change direction, and I won't change my mind - E.V.
    06 Chicago I, 06 Chicago II, 06 Grand Rapids, 07 Lollapalloza, 08 DC, 08 MSG I, 08 MSG II, 08 EV Solo Milwaukee, Chicago I & II 09, Portland 09, Nobelsville 10, Cleveland 10, PJ20 I & II, Wrigley 13, Brooklyn I & II '13, St. Paul 14, Moline 14, Milwaukee 14
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,859
    A la Pink Floyd? Think they played Dark Side, Wish You Were Here, Animals and The Wall in their entirity when they toured for those albums. 
  • ceskaceska Posts: 1,115
    If it's a great album, yeah then that would be cool. Especially as this tour is basically a one-show deal for a lot of us. So, OTOTO would be pretty cool. I think I'd prefer 4-5 warmup songs and then the album.

I really enjoyed when Wilco did Star Wars in its entirety, I caught 3 or 4 shows on that tour. That album is only 30 minutes long though so it didn't feel onerous. A PJ record could easily be 65 minutes long.
  • LowlightLowlight Posts: 101
    No.  Would rather they play a bunch off of the new album, like they usually do, and figure out which ones stay in the live rotation, and which do not.  Like others said, I like the element of surprise in the set list, and would not want to hear the same songs in the same order each night.
    Detroit 10-7-00 Buffalo 5-2-03 Boston 7-2-03 Camden 7-6-03 Boston 7-11-03 Boston 5-25-06 Camden 5-27-06 Hartford 6-27-08 Boston 6-28-08 Boston 6-30-08 Hartford 5-15-10 Boston 5-17-10 Chicago 7-19-13 Brooklyn 10-18-13 Brooklyn 10-19-13 Hartford 10-25-13 Moline 10-17-14 St. Paul 10-19-14 Milwaukee 10-20-14 Boston 8-5-16 Boston 8-7-16 Chicago 8-20-16 Chicago 8-22-16 Seattle 8-8-18 Boston 9-2-18 Boston 9-4-18 New York City 9-11-22
  • kaw753kaw753 Posts: 836
    Unwritten agreement between all fans and bands: They are allowed to play at most 5 songs off the new album and this must include the current radio single that we all sort of know.

Please tell us "here is one from the new album that we are really excited about" in case some of us have to pee and need a beer.
  • ZodZod Posts: 10,526
    I don't know about the entire thing in order, but I would like to hear the new songs.   Given how long lightning bolt as been around, and how many shows I've been to sine it was released, it's probably the album that has the most songs I've never heard live (aside from lost dogs).   I suppose only the two shows I saw in 2013 (Vancouver/Seattle) were LB shows, where everything 2016 on was no album tours, but still, would of loved to have seen swallowed whole live.
  • WMAmoricanWMAmorican Posts: 247
    edited January 2020
    I think Floyd is a bit different, given the concept nature of their albums (not to mention really long songs on WYWH and Animals)...David Gray started his shows last year with all songs from his new album (which was absolutely horrible), though not in order (not that it would have mattered). I didn't go, but people who did said it was cringe-inducing, tepid response at best, dead crowd, then of course it picked up when he started actually playing good songs.

Not that it would be quite the same for PJ, 1) the album will probably/hopefully actually be good and rock some and 2) it will all be pretty hardcore fans in GA (except for a few d-bags who buy their way in) and in the best, closest seats, and thus will be more familiar with and the new stuff and more accepting of new material in general.

And for god's sake, the album won't even be out for the Canadian shows, I really feels sorry for those people. I mean, you take seven years to release and album, and you can't even plan your tour so it starts after the album is out? Hearing new songs live can be cool, but in this case I'd prefer to have heard the album a few times (as I'll be able to, since I'm going to Oakland so it will have been out for three weeks) so you can have particular favorites you want to hear, know some of the lyrics, etc...Baltimore folks will at least have one day! ;)
    Post edited by WMAmorican on
  • BennyLaRueBennyLaRue Posts: 751
    edited January 2020
    They played 7 songs off of LB in Pittsburgh the day the album released and 9 in Buffalo 2013 a couple of days later. The Pendulum openers were cool, because who isn't excited for the concert to start, and MYM was well received but everything else really sucked the energy out of the crowd.

These things are best when introduced in smaller bites - 4 or 5 new songs at most.