Options

Shannon Hoon - Blind Melon

rhanishanerhanishane NSW Australia Posts: 505
On a Shannon Hoon kick lately.. does anyone have any recommended links or songs that I may not have seen. Absolutely love his voice.. still waiting for "All I can say" movie does it have a release date yet. I am in Australia

Comments

• Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Check out the 2 Meter sessions if you haven't already - just beautiful.

https://youtu.be/mmpwDsAsFJ0

IMDB says the doc was released in April of last year.  I sure hope it becomes available on one of the streaming services we have...hadn't even heard about it!
  • Options
    AKRounder85AKRounder85 Phila Posts: 250
    Mouthful of Cavities is my favorite song of theirs
    2000- 9/1 Camden
    2003- 4/28 Philly, 7/5 Camden
    2005- 10/3 Philly
    2006- 5/27 Camden, 5/28 Camden, 6/3 East Rutherford
    2008- 6/19 Camden, 6/20 Camden
    2009- 10/29 Philly, 10/28 Philly, 10/30 Philly, 10/31 Philly
    2012- 9/2 Made In America
    2013- 10/21 Philly, 10/22 Philly
    2016- 4/28 Philly, 4/29 Philly
    Wishlist: Thumbing My Way, Black Red Yellow, Sleight of Hand
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Jena Kraus' voice is lovely.  Such a wonderful complement to Shannon's.
  • Options
    hedonist said:
    Check out the 2 Meter sessions if you haven't already - just beautiful.

https://youtu.be/mmpwDsAsFJ0

IMDB says the doc was released in April of last year.  I sure hope it becomes available on one of the streaming services we have...hadn't even heard about it!
    Seen snippets if this. Love it😍
  • Options
    My favourites would have to be tones of home and change. I prefer watching anything live and I love watching them at Woodstock 94
  • Options
    pearljammr78pearljammr78 Posts: 1,613
    The first two albums are masterpieces. I never liked No Rain but someone showed me the rest of the catalog and I was floored. Still love those albums. 
    Peace,Love and Pearl Jam.
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    The first two albums are masterpieces. I never liked No Rain but someone showed me the rest of the catalog and I was floored. Still love those albums. 
    this for me. when I first started playing bass, my buddy picked up the guitar, he wanted to learn no rain. I thought blind melon sucked, as I didn't like that song at all. If only I was wise enough to check them out in spite of their radio hit, I would have gone to see them when they came through. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    I think that "no rain" is not even the slightest as to who they were.. I wish I had found that out sooner as well I think they were underappreciated for sure. I liked no rain but watching the live studio version is always better. Just like pearl jam they were better live I think.
  • Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,284
    I first saw Blind Melon opening for Lenny Kravitz in 1993. I have no idea what the setlist was, but I'm pretty sure they played No Rain and the crowd went nuts. It was Lenny's crowd but everybody knew that song.

The only other time I got to see them was the Reading Festival in 1995 and we got this setlist:

2x4
    Toes Across the Floor
    Wilt
    Tones of Home
    Vernie
    Galaxie
    Lemonade
    I Wonder
    The Duke
    Time

Even though it was an afternoon set at a festival, that is the kind of set I think of when it comes to Blind Melon. Shannon was electric to watch, he just lit up that big stage
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    goldrush said:
    I first saw Blind Melon opening for Lenny Kravitz in 1993. I have no idea what the setlist was, but I'm pretty sure they played No Rain and the crowd went nuts. It was Lenny's crowd but everybody knew that song.

The only other time I got to see them was the Reading Festival in 1995 and we got this setlist:

2x4
    Toes Across the Floor
    Wilt
    Tones of Home
    Vernie
    Galaxie
    Lemonade
    I Wonder
    The Duke
    Time

Even though it was an afternoon set at a festival, that is the kind of set I think of when it comes to Blind Melon. Shannon was electric to watch, he just lit up that big stage
    Damn, I'm envious.  While there are several of their other songs that really hit home for me, that is quite a setlist.

(Vernie!!!)
  • Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,944
    Man, you guys couldn't fuck with No Rain? How do you live?

• Options
    erocshiftyerocshifty Posts: 1,170
    Live At The Palace is a pretty good live record and the video Letters From A Porcupine is aces. All 3 of the Shannon releases are awesome - S/T, Soup & Nico. 

I got into Blind Melon around the same time that I got into PJ and RHCP. They were always the band that hurt the most losing in the mid 90's for me. I was devastated the day I heard Shannon had died. 

Mouthful Of Cavities was the first song of theirs I learned to play. Soup is probably my favorite BM album, but the S/T release is also stellar. Nico had some awesome gems. St. Andrew's Fall might be my favorite song of theirs. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9AI4YY3oHY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5sm-LcQhCo
    "It's best to live in grace before you're forced to." EV- 10/09/2014