Pearl Jam deploys Ticketmaster’s SafeTix tech

demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,340

Pearl Jam has opted to use Ticketmaster’s SafeTix technology for its upcoming tour, despite the band’s rocky history with the ticketing giant.

The US rock band said the move gives fans the “best chance to buy ticket at face value for this tour,” as SafeTix tackles touts by automatically refreshing tickets every few seconds to offer a unique barcode that can’t be screenshotted.

They said in the announcement: “Pearl Jam has decided that tickets will be mobile only and strictly non-transferable. Ticket purchasers will be required to enter the venue with their guests. Ticketmaster SafeTix mobile tickets will be issued for all tickets for all shows and requires a smartphone to display. No other tickets will be accepted for entry.”

The Gigaton Tour, titled after its new album, will kick off at Toronto’s ScotiaBank arena on March 18.

Pearl Jam previously spoke out against Ticketmaster and its dominance in the market and began boycotting venues that used the ticketing giant as its vendor. The band also spoke before the U.S. Congress, arguing that they had tried to keep ticket prices below $20, but Ticketmaster added high service fees.

Ticketmaster said in a statement about the band’s decision: “Pearl Jam has a long-standing commitment to protecting and advocating for their fans, and keeping ticket prices fair is central to that promise. To ensure tickets are not offered to fans above face value, the band decided that all tickets for their tour would not be transferable to avoid resale at inflated prices. Non-transferability is being extensively communicated to fans throughout the announcement and sales process.

“Recognising that some fans may be unable to attend due to unforeseen circumstances, the band also requested that Ticketmaster develop a first-of-its-kind, Fan-to-Fan Face Value Ticket Exchange, where fans can sell their tickets at face value (including fees from original purchase) to other fans. The Exchange is free for both buyers and sellers to use without any additional fees. To eliminate consumer confusion, Ticketmaster has also notified major secondary marketplaces and resellers that tickets for this tour are not available for resale.”

Fans must sign up through Ticketmaster’s Verified Fan programme to gain access to the presale on January 23, followed by a general onsale on January 24.

Ticketmaster’s Fan-To-Fan Exchange will open for the tour on February 18 where fans can resell their tickets for the price they paid, including fees, and no fees will be charged to exchange users for buying or selling tickets on the exchange.

Comments

• Ticketbastard or not I think the band is doing great things to eliminate the secondary ticket market for this tour. It might not be 100% perfect for everyone but the fact remains, the band cares a lot about making sure tickets go to fans and not scalper scum. Gotta give PJ credit when credit is due and this is a perfect example of why I am still a fan.
  • CW55354CW55354 Posts: 200
    edited January 2020
    This is definitely a win for fans. I hate the TM high service fees and monopoly, but this gives fans the best chance at face value tickets. Pearl Jam should get all the credit if the fan to fan exchange takes off.  Though, with a lot of acts making money off the secondary market, I wonder if it will. 
    Post edited by CW55354 on
  • KN219077KN219077 Posts: 1,071
    Great step forward by the band. I was able to get a ticket to the Missoula show last year in ten club ga from a transferable ticket from a nice guy named Ryan that hooked me up. Tue digital tickets worked well, people will adapt this as the norm soon enough 
  • MickeyMouseMickeyMouse Posts: 1,055
    I hav such a love/hate with TM. One day they're revealed to be in cahoots with professional brokers/scalpers, the next they're doing legit good things like SafeTix, Verified Fan, limiting accounts to 1 browser per sign in, etc. to curb bots/amateur scum scalpers (re: different than these major brokers TM has in their pockets). But this is a step in the right direction for fans, without question. 
    Uniondale, NY 04/30/03 - Camden, NJ 07/05/03 - MSG 07/08/03 - Reading, PA 10/01/04 - Philly 10/03/05 - Ed Sullivan Theatre 05/04/06 - MSG 06/25/08 - MSG 05/21/10 - NYC (EV solo) 06/21/11 - Montreal 09/07/11 - Brooklyn 10/18/13 - Central Park 09/26/15 - Philly 04/29/16 - MSG 05/01/16 - MSG 05/02/16 - Fenway 08/05/16 - Fenway 09/02/18 - Fenway 09/04/18 
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,427
    Personally I don’t think eliminating chance at stub hub tickets is a good thing.  At least with stub hub you have a better chance of getting tickets if you lose 10C lottery. Stub hub bad for bands bottom line but good for fans access to tickets
  • euchrideuchrid Posts: 840
    pjhawks said:
    Personally I don’t think eliminating chance at stub hub tickets is a good thing.  At least with stub hub you have a better chance of getting tickets if you lose 10C lottery. Stub hub bad for bands bottom line but good for fans access to tickets
    The fan-to-fan.. at face value is the equivalent without the mortgage your house prices...
  • Kel VarnsenKel Varnsen Posts: 1,952
    euchrid said:
    pjhawks said:
    The fan-to-fan.. at face value is the equivalent without the mortgage your house prices...
    I like the idea of the fan to fan thing because it basically means if you buy a ticket and can't go your ticket is nearly refundable. The fact that for as long as I have been going to concerts tickets have been non-refundable is a big reason why I have never had a problem with people reselling their tickets. And if people are going to resell their tickets I have never understood why selling them for what the going market value is, is considered a bad thing.
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,427
    euchrid said:
    pjhawks said:
    In theory but how many tickets are gonna be available with that? Maybe some singles
  • Kel VarnsenKel Varnsen Posts: 1,952
    pjhawks said:
    euchrid said:
    pjhawks said:
    In theory but how many tickets are gonna be available with that? Maybe some singles
     It will be interesting to see. I am still not sure if you could have requested 2 tickets and sold one on the fan to fan system. If you can I could see lots of people buying two and then just selling the second one if they couldn't find someone to go with, knowing that it wouldn't cost them anything.
  • DP17DP17 Posts: 68
    been in 10-CLUB since 1992!! got shout-OUT... NO LUCK!! FAN too FAN.. looking for a "MSG" TICKET... THANKS.. CLOSE as POSSIBLE LOL..
  • CW55354CW55354 Posts: 200
    pjhawks said:
    I have a feeling the fan to fan thing actually encouraged people to put in knowing they may not be able to afford it or even go to the show. Probably some couples each put in for the same shows, doubling their odds, knowing they can resell the second pair if they both won. Or people put in for way more shows hoping they could get say 3 out of 5. Some may have gotten all of them and can’t really afford to travel. I at least hope fan to fan will have an abundance of tickets to help those of us who lost score. 
  • ZodZod Posts: 10,526
    I miss ticket stubs (hopefully the non 10c tickets will also have a commemorative ticket option). 

On the flip side SafeTix sounds great.  It seems to close the screenshot loophole of the 2018 tour.   If a band is going to charge less than they could for their tickets, they need to lock it down like this.  If they don't it's way to profitable for scalpers.

I also hope I can score some tix via the fan sale site.  
  • pjhawks said:
    euchrid said:
    pjhawks said:
    Why wouldn't it be the same number of tickets that you would have seen on StubHub?
  • pjhawks said:
    euchrid said:
    pjhawks said:
    Why wouldn't it be the same number of tickets that you would have seen on StubHub?

Hopefully most scalpers avoided with the new rules, therefore less people buying with the sole intention of selling
  • CW55354 said:
    pjhawks said:
    I have a feeling the fan to fan thing actually encouraged people to put in knowing they may not be able to afford it or even go to the show. Probably some couples each put in for the same shows, doubling their odds, knowing they can resell the second pair if they both won. Or people put in for way more shows hoping they could get say 3 out of 5. Some may have gotten all of them and can’t really afford to travel. I at least hope fan to fan will have an abundance of tickets to help those of us who lost score. 
    I gotta agree

• Hopefully most scalpers avoided with the new rules, therefore less people buying with the sole intention of selling
    Getting more tickets in the hands of fans. Either way, it works. It doesn't seem to be limited to 10C members so should be lots of chances.