Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • Options
    foodboyfoodboy Posts: 988
    saw split enz in 85'
  • Options
    foodboyfoodboy Posts: 988
    the english beat,or the beat,frankie goes to hollywood, bow wow wow, saw so many of these bands. tickets were cheap back then.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,717
    I fully admit I liked some of the 80's bands that were labeled "New Wave" but I never applied that label to them myself- bands like Talking Heads, Television, Devo, The Pretenders, Roxy Music.  When I hear "New Wave" I think of Duran Duran, post CBGS Blondie, Depeche Mode, Tears for Fears, Spandau Ballet, etc.  I mean, you just can't place Talking Heads and Television in the same camp with those bands.

So that said, I don't see Pearl Jam as being influenced by New Wave.  I'd say they are mostly influenced by classic rock, hard rock, a little punk, and a little psychedelia (mainly Mike's love of Hendrix riffs).  
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    brianlux said:
    I fully admit I liked some of the 80's bands that were labeled "New Wave" but I never applied that label to them myself- bands like Talking Heads, Television, Devo, The Pretenders, Roxy Music.  When I hear "New Wave" I think of Duran Duran, post CBGS Blondie, Depeche Mode, Tears for Fears, Spandau Ballet, etc.  I mean, you just can't place Talking Heads and Television in the same camp with those bands.

So that said, I don't see Pearl Jam as being influenced by New Wave.  I'd say they are mostly influenced by classic rock, hard rock, a little punk, and a little psychedelia (mainly Mike's love of Hendrix riffs).  
    The new wave reference is in relation to the new album, not what they have done in the past. Apparently the new album has new wave influences!