Josh Evans

O_G_DO_G_D Posts: 542
edited January 2020 in The Porch
I knew little or nothing about him prior to today.  Naturally I started digging to see what I could find out.  I am a die hard PJ fan but there are some things that don’t always stick or resonate with me or perhaps I just don’t care as much about those details and just love listening to their music and enjoying their live shows. Anyhow I discovered as many of you might already know that he was the engineer on “Can’t Deny Me”.  I have to admit prior to knowing that Josh Evans was the engineer on that track - “Can’t Deny Me” is a song that has REALLY grown on me since I initially heard it and I’ve found myself with it on blast on my headphones a lot lately.  Just saying!  To say I’m VERY EXCITED for this new album produced by Josh Evans and tour would be a huge understatement!!!  Some people think I’m crazy with the high I’ve been on today lol.  They don’t get it.  They probably never will.  F%$K em lol.
1. Toronto, Ontario 09-21-1996 (MAPLE LEAF GARDENS)
2. Barrie, Ontario 08-22-1998 (MOLSON PARK)
3. Toronto, Ontario 10-05-2000 (AIR CANADA CENTRE)
4. Toronto, Ontario 06-28-2003 (MOLSON AMPHITHEATRE)
5. Boston, Massachusetts 09-28-2004 FLEET CENTER (NOW TD GARDEN) VFC TOUR
6. Boston, Massachusetts 09-28-2004 FLEET CENTER (NOW TD GARDEN) VFC TOUR
7. Hamilton, Ontario 09-13-2005 (COPPS COLISEUM)
8. Toronto, Ontario 09-19-2005 (AIR CANADA CENTRE)
9. St. Johns, Newfoundland 09-24-2005 (MILE ONE)
10. St. Johns, Newfoundland 09-25-2005 (MILE ONE)
11. Toronto, Ontario 05-09-2006 (AIR CANADA CENTRE)
12. Toronto, Ontario 05-09-2006 (AIR CANADA CENTRE)
13. Sydney, Australia 11-07-2006 (ACER ARENA)
14. Sydney, Australia 11-08-2006 (ACER ARENA)
15. Melbourne, Australia 11-13-2006 (ROD LAVER ARENA)
16. Melbourne, Australia 11-14-2006 (ROD LAVER ARENA)
17. Adelaide, Australia 11-21-2006 (ADELAIDE ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE)
18. Adelaide, Australia 11-22-2006 (ADELAIDE ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE)
19. Perth, Australia 11-25-2006 (SUBIACO OVAL)
20. New York, New York 06-24-2008 (MADISON SQUARE GARDEN)
21. New York, New York 06-25-2008 (MADISON SQUARE GARDEN)
22. Toronto, Ontario 08-21-2009 (MOLSON AMPITHEATRE)
23. Buffalo, New York 05-10-2010 (HSBC ARENA)
24. Toronto, Ontario 09-11-2011 (AIR CANADA CENTRE)
25. Toronto, Ontario 09-12-2011 (AIR CANADA CENTRE)
26. Hamilton, Ontario 09-15-2011 (COPPS COLISEUM)
27. London, Ontario 07-16-2013 (BUDWEISER GARDENS)
28. Buffalo, New York 10-12-2013 (FIRST NIAGARA CENTER) FORMERLY HSBC ARENA
29. Detroit, Michigan 10-16-2014 (JOE LOUIS ARENA)
30. Ottawa, Ontario 5-8-2016 (CANADIAN TIRE CENTRE)
31. Toronto, Ontario 5-10-2016 (AIR CANADA CENTRE)
32. Toronto, Ontario 5-12-2016 (AIR CANADA CENTRE)

Post edited by O_G_D on

Comments

• primussucksprimussucks Posts: 2,356
    Apparently he was soundgarden's guitar tech.  Was the monitor engineer on the 2016 temple of the dog tour.  Has been Booms keyboard tech since 2008.  So yes he is someone extremely familiar to the band.
    Summerfest 7/8/95
    Missoula 6/20/98
    Alpine Valley 6/26/98 & 6/27/98
    Alpine Valley 10/8/00 
    Champaign 4/23/03
    Alpine Valley 6/21/03
    Missoula 8/29/05
    Chicago 5/16 & 17/06
    Grand Rapids 5/19/06
    Summerfest 6/29/06 & 6/30/06
    Tampa 6/12/08
    Chicago 8/23/09
    Indy 5/7/10
    Alpine Valley x2 2011
    Wrigley 2013
    Milwaukee 14
    Telluride 16
  • bigjilmbigjilm Posts: 186
    He also worked on the Thunderpussy 7" Mike released on his Hockeytalkter label a few years ago.
  • demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,178

Dude has done some great work. Can't wait to see what he's done on Pearl Jam's new album Gigaton. :)

• JKestleJKestle Posts: 64
    Josh Evans takes Premiere Guitar through Kim Thayil's rig rundown:

https://youtu.be/uEl7u9Z3lK0

• drummer1drummer1 Posts: 314
    O_G_D said:
    I knew little or nothing about him prior to today.  Naturally I started digging to see what I could find out.  I am a die hard PJ fan but there are some things that don’t always stick or resonate with me or perhaps I just don’t care as much about those details and just love listening to their music and enjoying their live shows. Anyhow I discovered as many of you might already know that he was the engineer on “Can’t Deny Me”.  I have to admit prior to knowing that Josh Evans was the engineer on that track - “Can’t Deny Me” is a song that has REALLY grown on me since I initially heard it and I’ve found myself with it on blast on my headphones a lot lately.  Just saying!  To say I’m VERY EXCITED for this new album produced by Josh Evans and tour would be a huge understatement!!!  Some people think I’m crazy with the high I’ve been on today lol.  They don’t get it.  They probably never will.  F%$K em lol.
    I’m right there with you my friend. Epic times lie ahead! 
    COLUMBUS, OH 5.6.10
    CLEVELAND, OH 5.9.10
    E.V. DETROIT, MI 6.26.11
    PJ20 ALPINE VALLEY, WI 9.3.11
    PJ20 ALPINE VALLEY, WI 9.4.11

Who is Pearl Jam ‘Gigaton’ Producer Josh Evans?

January 18, 2020
    Ricecracker Music / Monkeywrench Records / Republic Records

New decade, new Pearl Jam album, new producer.

Pearl Jam’s Gigaton songs won’t be the only thing new about the band’s first album in seven years. The group has brought on Seattle producer Josh Evans for the first time, taking a break from working with Brendan O’Brien, who manned the boards for six of Pearl Jam’s ten previous albums.

Considering his resume with artists including Soundgarden, Thunderpussy and Gary Clark, Jr., Evans looks to be an inspired choice for potentially taking the grunge group’s sound in a new direction.

Pearl Jam fans initially got a taste of Evans’ style when he engineered the band’s Brandi Carlile cover on 2017’s Cover Stories and then engineered Pearl Jam’s 2018 raucous single, “Can’t Deny Me.” Due March 27, Gigaton will be the band's first material with Evans in the role of co-producer.

How does this bode for the sound of Pearl Jam’s new album? Listen for ease with band member preferences. Evan’s previous work with Soundgarden (King Animal), Pearl Jam bassist Jeff Ament (solo album Heaven/Hell) and a slew of guitarist Mike McCready’s projects (Mad Season/Seattle Symphony, a McCready/KT Tunstall single and Sadie score, et al) will ground his Gigaton work in a particular comfort with Pearl Jam’s rhythm section and lead guitars.

Evans is also conversant with both the band's current musical favorites and its influences, having worked with Thunderpussy (“Somebody to Love”) and KissAce Frehley (Origins Vol. 1).

Evans’ connection to Pearl Jam and its musical family, however, goes even deeper than his production credits. According to LinkedIn, he was on staff at Studio X during the period when Pearl Jam’s 2006 self-titled album and frontman Eddie Vedder’s solo album Into the Wild were recorded there.

Evans has also put in time as Chris Cornell’s monitor engineer on the 2016 Temple of the Dog tour, Cornell and guitarist Kim Thayil’s guitar tech for Soundgarden’s entire reunion era (2010-2017) and as a Pearl Jam guitar and keyboard tech since 2008.

Fans will be able to listen for themselves when the first Gigaton single, “Dance of the Clairvoyants” is released “in the coming weeks,” according to the Pearl Jam announcement. There is no word yet on the full Gigaton track list, but fans are hoping live rarity “Of the Earth” finally touches down on an album. It would be fitting considering the album artwork is decidedly environmental: a Norwegian ice cap gushing meltwater.

The album is currently available for pre-order via PearlJam.com, and the band is set to embark on a spring North American Gigaton tour that launches March 18 in Toronto and makes its way across the continent before winding up April 19 in Oakland, Calif. A previously announced European tour runs June 23 - July 23.

• Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,086
    edited January 2020
    demetrios said:
    Evans is also conversant with both the band's current musical favorites and its influences, having worked with Thunderpussy (“Somebody to Love”) and KissAce Frehley (Origins Vol. 1).
    I would believe he only helped Mike record his solo for Cold Gin that were then sent to Ace and producer Warren Huart.

So he hasn't worked with the bands influence KISS/Ace but Mike did, and he helped record in Seattle with him.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • jonsey30jonsey30 Posts: 1,000
    Love that Demtrios’ link is to Banana 101.5 from my home town in Flint.  Did you just run across that or do you have a Flint connection?
    7/19/13 - Wrigley Field, Chicago, IL
    10/11/13 - Pittsburgh, PA
    10/12/13 - Buffalo, NY
    10/16/2014 - Detroit, MI
    5/10/2016 - Toronto, ON
    3/24/2020 - Hamilton, ON
    9/7/2023 - Chicago, IL

• Looks like they found someone super close to Chris. 
    looking to hear of the earth
    jonsey30 said:
    Love that Demterios’ link is to Banana 101.5 from my home town in Flint.  Did you just run across that or do you have a Flint connection?
    Just ran across it by Jessica Letkemann.

• moleculemolecule Posts: 622
    I’m excited for this new step. Thanks for the info here.
    🤙
    Josh's site updated. https://www.ricecrackermusic.com/

Recent work :)

• mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,257
    I had no idea Josh had anything to do with CDM until I read this. I thought they scrapped that whole project and everyone on it before moving forward with Josh.
    Has Josh Evans remixed any new Pearl Jam official bootlegs this year? He has done 6 releases so far you can purchase.
     A Conversation with Josh Evans
    State of Love & Trust: A Pearl Jam Podcast 

State of Love and Trust Podcast
    Josh Evans on State of Love And Trust Podcast
    Gigaton producer Josh Evans recently spoke to the fan-run State of Love And Trust: A Pearl Jam Podcast. Listen to Josh talk about topics ranging from his Seattle upbringing, to what he loves about music and producing, and more. 

LISTEN HERE

A Conversation with Josh Evans

Ep. 150

Jason and Paul welcome producer, engineer, mixer, and amateur mid-90s beat-maker, Josh Evans to the show. Josh has produced many records including Pearl Jam's Gigaton and Painted Shield's sophomore effort whilst also engineering and/or mixing many, many others including Soundgarden's King Animal, Dave Matthews Big Whiskey and the GrooGrux King, and the eponymously titled Chris Cornell anthology (among many others). The guys chatted about Josh's upbringing in Seattle, learning guitar and what he loved about music production. The conversation centers around Pearl Jam (obviously) but touches on Josh's time working with Soundgarden and Temple of the Dog. All that and Lyric and Live Cut of the Week - Dance of the Clairvoyants.

edited April 2023
    State of Love and Trust: Josh Evans on Mixing Pearl Jam in Atmos  https://www.soundandvision.com/content/state-love-and-trust-josh-evans-mixing-pearl-jam-atmos