Houston???

Is PJ allergic to Houston?  It's been 20 years since they've been here!

Comments

• mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,411
    Yeah, it’s definitely odd.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • ME10280ME10280 Posts: 35
    Maybe Eddie's still pissed about the ant bites he got here when he was a little boy.
  • vedpunkvedpunk Posts: 897
    2nd leg - fall
  • Lost In OhioLost In Ohio Posts: 6,830
    If a festival has a radius clause, that might be part of the reason.
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • jazzbo26jazzbo26 Posts: 684
    Maybe it’s because they cheat at baseball
    They've played stadium shows here in the past.  They've had plenty of shows in Texas in the past 20 years:  Dallas, San Antonio, Austin.  But not Houston.  I'm tired of having to travel to the East Coast or overseas to see them.  UGH
  • ComeToTXComeToTX Posts: 7,762
    I wouldn’t say “plenty.” They hit the big cities in 2003 and have only played ACL Fest and one show in Dallas since. Holding out hope for fall though. 
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • KV4053KV4053 Posts: 1,503
    edited January 2020
    Houston sucks.

....and I've lived in this armpit of a city for 42 years
    Post edited by KV4053 on
    I know I was born and I know that I'll die. The in between is mine.
    Ha. There’s enough people there to get a show though!
  • wbutler29wbutler29 Posts: 944
    Cynthia Woods would be awesome, but would most likely be Toyota Center
  • I know there’s been rumors before but rumors that they will be Houston in the fall. 
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,793
    Image result for houston we have a problem
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
    KV4053 said:
    Houston sucks.

It's better than Ottawa, St Louis or Oklahoma City (as far as number of fans)
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,239
    ME10280 said:
    KV4053 said:
    Houston sucks.

It's better than Ottawa, St Louis or Oklahoma City (as far as number of fans)
    It's way the fuck outta the way - the cities they put on this spring tour will pull in more of the travelling base than Houston ever would.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • shepshep Posts: 5,763
    Both ACL (austin) and Voodoo Fest (new orleans) have contractual clauses that prevent playing Houston +/- 3 months around a headlining gig at either festival.

Houston is 5X as big population wise... so that logic makes perfect sense.  Why play a show in Houston when you can force all it's residents to drive 3 hours to Austin or 6 hours to New Orleans to see a greatest hits, 2 hour setlist and make 4 times the money! Cha-ching...

(side note - first post in about 3 years and of course it is only inspired by bitterness... lol... some things don't change).
    Houston, Texas... Believe it or not, there are 7 million people here... must be a couple of fans who'd love to see you play.
    good to see you on here, shep!

strange that the acl clause apply's to houston but not dallas.  i know smaller bands can play SA, so maybe it's a headliner thing.
  • SandyRavageSandyRavage Posts: 1,011
    shep said:
    Both ACL (austin) and Voodoo Fest (new orleans) have contractual clauses that prevent playing Houston +/- 3 months around a headlining gig at either festival.

Houston is 5X as big population wise... so that logic makes perfect sense.  Why play a show in Houston when you can force all it's residents to drive 3 hours to Austin or 6 hours to New Orleans to see a greatest hits, 2 hour setlist and make 4 times the money! Cha-ching...

(side note - first post in about 3 years and of course it is only inspired by bitterness... lol... some things don't change).
    Steve Gleason wrote the setlist for Voodoo at 2013 and its probably one of the most under rated PJ fest shows of last decade. 

Same with Jazzfest in 2016. "Greatest Hits" set my butt
  • I not so sure about that radius clause anymore when it comes to ACL.  Both Tame Impala and Mumford played Houston in between ACL weekends last year.  
    I miss you hippiemom.
    edited January 2020
    shep said:

Steve Gleason wrote the setlist for Voodoo at 2013 and its probably one of the most under rated PJ fest shows of last decade. 

Same with Jazzfest in 2016. "Greatest Hits" set my butt
    One man's trash is another man's treasure.

I was actually reading an article the other day how there are sellers on amazon literally reselling people's garbage... so hey...

But you're entirely correct.  I shouldn't be complaining about setlists or time spent on stage, it's just that this band has spoiled its fans rotten... I mean complaining about a 2-hour set in and of itself is ridiculous... most touring bands stretch to 90 minutes including their encore.

And I look back at the Jazzfest set list from 2016 - that was actually the last show I attended... two kids, my brother and brother-in-law each got married, and i've bought a sold a house since then... so I guess i just kinda forgot how odd it was with all the other life events coming down the pipe between then and now...

That voodoo setlist is a little pedestrian for me though... again, one man's trash is another man's treasure.
    I do hope that texas gets proper shows in 2020, though i doubt it.  It will probably be ACL or Voodoo... I just don't have the time or energy to deal with either of those events... they take a lot more effort or coordination to get to, and for me, just don't have the value anymore....

I not so sure about that radius clause anymore when it comes to ACL.  Both Tame Impala and Mumford played Houston in between ACL weekends last year.  
    Not headliners.  The radius clause still exists, trust me.  The raconteurs and Arctic Monkeys also got away with it a couple of years back - but the venue size is the key... when the bands played Houston in between ACL sets, it was at a 3000 person venue... While I would love to see PJ in that same room, it just isn't going to happen.  When Eddie played Houston on that solo tour in 2014, it was at a bigger venue... and it was sold out 2 nights in a row...

ComeToTX said:
    good to see you on here, shep!

strange that the acl clause apply's to houston but not dallas.  i know smaller bands can play SA, so maybe it's a headliner thing.
    It applies to dallas also - again though, there are venue size details included... and it's really only the names in the largest font! :)

Doing any shows Cam?

The wife gave me permission to do St. Louis... thinking about it pretty hard.
    Houston, Texas... Believe it or not, there are 7 million people here... must be a couple of fans who'd love to see you play.
    Just okc on this leg. Doing Budapest for my 40th though. Pretty pumped!
  • TheLostSoulTheLostSoul Posts: 773
    edited January 2020
    They may not be headliners in your mind or musical tastes and I respect that, but they headlined ACL on Friday and Sunday respectively.
    Edit.  Regarding venue size.  Mumford played the Toyota Center.
    Post edited by TheLostSoul on
    I miss you hippiemom.
    They may not be headliners in your mind or musical tastes and I respect that, but they headlined ACL on Friday and Sunday respectively.
    Edit.  Regarding venue size.  Mumford played the Toyota Center.
    huh.
    you're right.
    that is interesting indeed.

well, here's to having hope, but not gonna hold my breath.
  • Not holding my breath either.  I just think the radius clause has been loosened up a bit since live nation took over.
    I miss you hippiemom.
    I thought Dimi said no festivals in 2020. I’m still hearing strong rumors of a Houston show in the Fall.  We’ll see.
    Also, I find it comical when the East Coast fans cry over only having two shows during the Spring tour and talk about the band wasting the opportunity to play to more fans in that area.  The band could sell out 6-8 20k shows in the state of Texas easily but chooses not to. 
  • vedpunk said:
    Also, I find it comical when the East Coast fans cry over only having two shows during the Spring tour and talk about the band wasting the opportunity to play to more fans in that area.  The band could sell out 6-8 20k shows in the state of Texas easily but chooses not to. 

They would need to then stay in Texas for a few weeks.  ;)

The love he receives is the love that is saved
    vedpunk said:
    I thought Dimi said no festivals in 2020. I’m still hearing strong rumors of a Houston show in the Fall.  We’ll see.
    Doesn’t sound like he knows the fall schedule. I can see them doing ACL or some Texas dates but not both. Hope I’m wrong. I’d rather them do a Houston, Dallas stop than ACL even though I live here. 
  • Yup.  Fuck ACL.  Id rather drive to Houston or Dallas.
    I miss you hippiemom.