Options

Your current balance between concern over current events, and taking care of your own life stuff?

2»

Comments

• Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,158
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    i am trying to do my thing but i am so distracted by what is going on these days that i have seriously neglected self care and things that make me happy.

i have been drinking more. not more days, just more heavily on the 3-4 days a month when i do drink. i have not been to the gym in months. i am shaving maybe one day a week when i used to shave 3-4 days a week. instead of wearing dress clothes to work i have just been wearing scrubs. i have not focused on my band or even plugged in my guitar rig in months.

Hey buddy, I'm sorry to hear the weight of the world is beating you up a bit.  I look up to you as a smart, knowledgeable and savvy kind of guy, a fine musician, and all around good dude, so I hope things get better- both in the world we live in and, more importantly here, for you my friend.
    thank you Brian. I think i was better off when I was not coming around here, haha. i needed to be around intelligent and passionate people though, so I had to come back. I missed the bickering, lol.

my gym closed about 6 weeks ago and since i am a commitmentphobe i have not found one I like and want to stay with. it is my priority to make a decision this week and get back at it. i need that release. oh yea, i shaved today, ahaha!

things will get better. i believe that. you are an empath, like me, so I am glad you are holding up ok and taking care of yourself. this last few years have been hard on people like me. it will be better though.

I can see why you would say you were better of not coming around here.  My totally selfish response is that I notice your absence here at times and miss your presence during those times because you are are knowledgeable and  keenly aware of how the world spins and I always learn something from you.  But more importantly, you're a good dude and I wish you the best and if that means not getting in too deep here, do what's best for you.  (This is true for others here by the way- you folks help keep me focused, more informed, and add to my awareness.)  In any case, while you are here, I'm grateful.

Nice job shaving, lol.  I need to do the same today and get out and walk today.  I'm trying to do more aerobic walking for my health because I'm getting to the stage in life where it's easy to find excuses to not exercise.  Let's keep fit and hope for a better 2020!
    thanks Brian. I have always learned a lot from you too. also from pretty much everybody that is still on this crazy train.

my participation kind of comes and goes. the new job allows for some flexibility during the day so it gives me time to keep up with the news and keep up with this place. i am glad i am back for now but sometimes it gets to be so much. not debating or arguing so much, but the topics that we discuss. why does trump have to be so terrible and so mean spirited? i mean, the guy is a fucking bully and here we are talking about his bullying and his sheer stupidity. 

the only reason i shaved today is because i had to cover some surgeries and they won't let me in the OR if I have more than a few days of stubble unless i wear a beard cover, and i am done with those things, lol.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    i am trying to do my thing but i am so distracted by what is going on these days that i have seriously neglected self care and things that make me happy.

i have been drinking more. not more days, just more heavily on the 3-4 days a month when i do drink. i have not been to the gym in months. i am shaving maybe one day a week when i used to shave 3-4 days a week. instead of wearing dress clothes to work i have just been wearing scrubs. i have not focused on my band or even plugged in my guitar rig in months.

Hey buddy, I'm sorry to hear the weight of the world is beating you up a bit.  I look up to you as a smart, knowledgeable and savvy kind of guy, a fine musician, and all around good dude, so I hope things get better- both in the world we live in and, more importantly here, for you my friend.
    thank you Brian. I think i was better off when I was not coming around here, haha. i needed to be around intelligent and passionate people though, so I had to come back. I missed the bickering, lol.

my gym closed about 6 weeks ago and since i am a commitmentphobe i have not found one I like and want to stay with. it is my priority to make a decision this week and get back at it. i need that release. oh yea, i shaved today, ahaha!

things will get better. i believe that. you are an empath, like me, so I am glad you are holding up ok and taking care of yourself. this last few years have been hard on people like me. it will be better though.
    ironically, this is what has helped me a few times as well, and have been vilified for mentioning it. 
    really? by who? I mention it every 50 posts or so, hahaha
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

• Options
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

ironically, this is what has helped me a few times as well, and have been vilified for mentioning it. 

I miss your input when you're not around as well, HFD.  Always happy to see you on here.
    +1

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    brianlux said:

I won't mention any names. But there have been a few who, when we get heated about something, ultimately retort with "I thought you couldn't handle it here anymore! why are you here?". doesn't bug me. just shows me they have nothing substantive to say. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    lizabelle1217lizabelle1217 Central Jersey Posts: 222
    This is such an interesting poll. I voted Highly concerned about current events, mostly keeping my life from sinking.
    Several years ago, I was deeply engrossed in the politics of the U.S. and lower-level politics of my personal circles of friends/organizations/etc. It was maddening and stressful! I decided to step away from lots of social media groups and platforms and cancelled my daily news subscriptions, and my stress levels dropped a bit, but I felt out of touch. I do get daily headlines in my email again, so I'm staying informed. I'm not quite as stressed as before, but I'm still very concerned with what's going on in the world... but as always, I just feel very helpless to do anything about those things that I feel concerned about. 
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,883
    brianlux said:

I won't mention any names. But there have been a few who, when we get heated about something, ultimately retort with "I thought you couldn't handle it here anymore! why are you here?". doesn't bug me. just shows me they have nothing substantive to say. 
    I m sorry I was mean to you. ;)
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    I voted "Pretty much ignoring all the clatter and living "the life" as much as possible" but that's not entirely accurate. I wouldn't say I'm "ignoring all the clatter." I hear it. It just doesn't affect me at all (though I do have empathy for those affected). But the other nearest option of "Am a bit concerned about current issues but mostly doing my thing" would be even less accurate because I'm not concerned for myself or my family or friends based on anything going on in the news. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,719
    This is such an interesting poll. I voted Highly concerned about current events, mostly keeping my life from sinking.
    Several years ago, I was deeply engrossed in the politics of the U.S. and lower-level politics of my personal circles of friends/organizations/etc. It was maddening and stressful! I decided to step away from lots of social media groups and platforms and cancelled my daily news subscriptions, and my stress levels dropped a bit, but I felt out of touch. I do get daily headlines in my email again, so I'm staying informed. I'm not quite as stressed as before, but I'm still very concerned with what's going on in the world... but as always, I just feel very helpless to do anything about those things that I feel concerned about. 

Taking care of yourself is a wise choice, lizabelle.  Sounds to me like you made the right move.  Hopefully staying informed these days isn't too overwhelming for you.  I have to force myself to step away from it all from time to time to regain a better balance- easier said than done these days.  And I think the only way to fight off that helpless feeling is to believe that every positive thing we do for the world around us, no matter how small or large, is better than not caring at all. 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    We survived Jimmy Carter.  

It's all noise.
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • Options
    so basically what this rambling is getting at, i think a lot of our anxieties about current events start and stop with the news. the thing i worry about the most is the planet. not that maroon in the white house. 
    Sadly, that maroon in the white house is having a devastating effect on the planet.
         Short staffing national parks
         Rolling back water protections
         Prioritizing energy production over park protection
         Pumping water out of the desert
    Tearing out century old cacti in order to "build the wall"
    Allowing PFAs in YOUR drinking water. How's that teflon tasting?
    https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2019/climate/trump-environment-rollbacks.html: "His administration, with help from Republicans in Congress, has often targeted environmental rules it sees as burdensome to the fossil fuel industry and other big businesses."

These are just effects in the US. It doesn't even begin to address the effect of pulling out of the climate accords. it's sickening. Literally.

And the sun it may be shining . . . but there's an ocean in my eyes
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177

It's all noise.
    Here's hoping Trump's reelection efforts meet the same fate as Jimmy's did. 
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    so basically what this rambling is getting at, i think a lot of our anxieties about current events start and stop with the news. the thing i worry about the most is the planet. not that maroon in the white house. 
    Sadly, that maroon in the white house is having a devastating effect on the planet.
         Short staffing national parks
         Rolling back water protections
         Prioritizing energy production over park protection
         Pumping water out of the desert
    Tearing out century old cacti in order to "build the wall"
    Allowing PFAs in YOUR drinking water. How's that teflon tasting?
    https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2019/climate/trump-environment-rollbacks.html: "His administration, with help from Republicans in Congress, has often targeted environmental rules it sees as burdensome to the fossil fuel industry and other big businesses."

These are just effects in the US. It doesn't even begin to address the effect of pulling out of the climate accords. it's sickening. Literally.

The weird thing is, other than the fuss over Greta Thunberg (I think what she is doing is great things, myself), what we hear most on a lot of the "news" and social media is mostly social and political- not that those aren't hugely important- but if we allow the like of Trump to continue to roll back environmental protection and disrupt ecological balances, the planet will not continue to support humans and other mammals (look at Australia) and all of the other stuff will become mute points.  I believe Trump's assault on the environment cannot be over emphasized.

And good point about that damned wall.  Not only is it destroying fragile dessert ecosystems, it will disrupt migratory patters of animals across what, to them, was an invisible border and now becomes an obstacle that affects their ability to survive.  These kinds of ecological disruptions have a cascading effect which will translate into bad news for other lives, including human, in severe ways in years to come.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    100% with you Brian.
    And the sun it may be shining . . . but there's an ocean in my eyes
  • Options

It's all noise.
    And a lot of people are surviving because of Jimmy Carter with all of those Habitat for Humanity houses he helped build. Plus, not adding to the deficit by canceling his secret service protection. Unfortunately, its not all noise. Real people are affected by presidential decisions. Just ask those kids in cages.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options

It's all noise.
    And a lot of people are surviving because of Jimmy Carter with all of those Habitat for Humanity houses he helped build. Plus, not adding to the deficit by canceling his secret service protection. Unfortunately, its not all noise. Real people are affected by presidential decisions. Just ask those kids in cages.

Much love for Jimmy and Rosalynn!

• Options
    edited January 2020

It's all noise.
    oh please.
    Post edited by gimmesometruth27 on

• Options
    what dreamswhat dreams Posts: 1,761
    I waver between utter despondency and cautious optimism. When I reach the despondent stage, I unplug for a while.
    One thing I've stopped completely is having my radio alarm (yes I still have one) set to NPR or the C-Span channel. Laying in bed listening to the news at 5 in the morning is soul-crushing for the rest of the day. I don't check the headlines until after lunch.
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    edited January 2020
    Not that I don't care, but fuck that weight-of-the-world stuff for me.

Some days I feel disgust at the state of the everything, other times hopeful.

Worry?  I do, but honestly, I pull that fruitless act on occasion - whether on a personal or larger level - and kick myself for it every time.

I guess my point is that some shit takes energy I can't afford to expend, so when I need to, I hibernate from the non-local news (even that is crappy sometimes).  Much of it strikes me as children fighting - taking potshots, unnecessarily crying foul, kicking sand, etc.

And the goddamn self-righteousness of some.
  • Options
    hedonist said:

Worry?  I do, but honestly, I pull that fruitless act on occasion - whether on a personal or larger level - and kick myself for it every time.

I guess my point is that some shit takes energy I can't afford to expend, so when I need to, I hibernate from the non-local news (even that is crappy sometimes).  Much of it strikes me as children fighting - taking potshots, unnecessarily crying foul, kicking sand, etc.

Here, you mean, or in general? 

• Options
    brianlux said:
    hedonist said:

That was your takeaway? I don’t believe I mentioned “here” ;)
  • Options
    hedonist said:
    brianlux said:
    hedonist said:

That was your takeaway? I don’t believe I mentioned “here” ;)

True, but nor did you mention "in general" either.  I was just curious as to whom you were referring.

In any case, I didn't intend this to be a sparring thread or yet another place for us to berate others.  In fact, mostly it's been a very supportive discussion.

• Options
    Man...I wasn’t doing either. Figured I’d toss my nickel in. 

I’ll bow out of the thread. 
  • Options
    hedonist said:
    Man...I wasn’t doing either. Figured I’d toss my nickel in. 

I’ll bow out of the thread. 

I'm sorry if I didn't understand what you meant.  I meant no offense, Hedonist.