Options

AAA membership

MelzombieMelzombie Charleston, SC Posts: 200
Does anyone have a membership with AAA?
worth it?
I'm looking at the $100 for the year/plan.
I hit a pothole the other day and luckily I made it to the auto shop and didn't have to call a tow truck.
This has made me want to get one.

Comments

• Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,544
    I've had one for years.
    Has come in very handy when needed.
    Car towing can be outrageously expensive. 
    When I lived in Colorado it was necessary because I biked a lot (200+ miles a week May-Oct.) and could use it if I was stranded on my bike somewhere. The bike option is only available in a handful of states I believe.
    It also comes in handy for hotel and rental car discounts.
    And I get a discount at my local Audi repair shop.
  • Options
    stuckinlinestuckinline Posts: 3,359
    I have a AAA membership, called them a few times for a dead battery. 
    An additional perk is discounts on hotel rooms, etc.

Is $100 for one person?

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,623
    Wife has one and we use it occasionally for discounts and have requested a few tows
    If you have the extra coin it is a nice piece of security for not much dough.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,225
    Definitely worth having for security/peace of mind. Have used it in the past for jump start, towing and tire changing.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,008
    Most insurances I've looked into have their own towing/roadside assistance plans nowadays. Paying $100 just for the towing isn't really worth it, especially since you could get a tow for about $50 within town if you call around.
    I dropped AAA as insurance about 15 years ago when they tripled my rates with my first (and only) very minor accident. I've had roadside with nearly every other company I've been with since.
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,773
    get up to 5 gal of gas too if I recall right....
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    Worth it.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,718
    It's been a HUGE help for me at times over the many years we've been with AAA, and worth every cent.  We pay the extra fee to have the Premier membership which includes towing up to 100 miles and one tow up to 200 miles, includes coverage on our little travel trailer.  Without the trailer, I would go with Plus membership because it covers towing up to 100 miles whereas Basic only tows up to 7 miles.

Some major jams AAA has helped me out of:

-Early 1990's, dead battery in Dixie National Forest Utah dry camping in my van out of a dirt road.
    -2006, gas gauge stopped working and we ran out of gas on a freeway near Niagara, NY.  Guy gave us a few gallons and directions to the nearest station.
    -2012, After traveling to see Pearl Jam at Missoula, MT, got our little travel trailer hung up on some rocks at a camp site.  The AAA driver had to work magic to get it dislodged but did so with no damage.  And we were 1/2 hour away from the nearest town.
    -2014, Tire blowout on the travel trailer outside Sacramento with a lot of fast moving traffic at night.  I would have been afraid to get out of the vehicle let alone change a tire.  The guy did it, no problem/  Those guys are amazing.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,008
    Many seem to swear by it, and it is nice to have assistance at a phone call. My only advice is ask if your current insurer offers this. Many do now, and someone I've had to ask to find out it was included in my full coverage. And its the same service since they just subcontract out with local companies. 
    No need to pay AAA $100 if your current insurance already offers it, it would probably be cheaper if it is bundled or included with your plan.
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,878
    I'm with Mace, my insurance company has towing and roadside assistance and all.
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    I’ve had the Plus membership for years now.  Saved us a few times and it applies to any car that you’re currently in.   Saves me about $8 a night on hotels too.