Options

No Irish Dates for Pearl Jam in 2020?? Why???

Why are Pearl Jam once again not doing any concerts in Ireland in 2020?  Does anyone have any information on this, as to the reason why?  The last time they played in Ireland (Dublin and Belfast was June 2010).  Thanks for any forthcoming info.  Clair

Comments

• Options
    eboweddieeboweddie Posts: 934
    It's all to do with money.  Obviously mcd arent paying enough.  Eddie had been here twice since pj last here in 2010. Again I've to travel. Delighted to go to these different cities but I'd love an Irish date. 

i wish i wish i wish i wish, i guess it never stops
  • Options
    RW8297RW8297 Posts: 1,588
    $$$ cannot be the only reason. Do you think they are paid more in Poland and Hungary than in Ireland?
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,967
    Why they play where they do is often a mystery. In the U.S. it looks like Oklahoma City is about to get another show while Houston, one of the largest cities in the country, hasn't had a show in years. It may be about money and certain promoters in certain cities. It doesn't seem to be based on demographics or population. 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    DEGBTIDEGBTI san diego Posts: 931
    JimmyV said:
    Why they play where they do is often a mystery. In the U.S. it looks like Oklahoma City is about to get another show while Houston, one of the largest cities in the country, hasn't had a show in years. It may be about money and certain promoters in certain cities. It doesn't seem to be based on demographics or population. 
    I believe Dimi said Texas in the fall, just sayin
  • Options
    Vienna and Frankfurt will be great. A Dublin show could be fitted in. But obviously not. For reasons unknown 

• Options
    Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,490
    At least you don't live in Scotland and it cost about 20-30 quid to fly anywhere with Ryanair..
  • Options
    aurelgugusaurelgugus France & Luxembourg Posts: 499
    Probably link to promoters. As an illustration, they play Werchter every time but not Rock am ring which is a one of Europe biggest festival.

And well maybe they enjoy playing in some countries and not so much in others. My country (France) was off the tours since 2012 and apart from festivals the last French date was in 2006. My guess is that French promoters or French crowds (or both) are not their favorite.

Touring in Ireland is also probably logistically more complicated if you don’t start or end the tour there. And you have to play in the UK just after or just before. The fact that the London date is in the middle of the tour does not help...
    2012 : Amsterdam 2
    2014 : Amsterdam 1&2, Milan, Berlin, Werchter
    2018 : Amsterdam 1&2, Pinkpop, London 1, Berlin, Werchter, London 2
    2020 : ?
  • Options
    tusevuntusevun Posts: 219
    Because the food is terrible there.
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,943
    tusevun said:
    I m guessing you ve never been. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    JPPJ84JPPJ84 Hamburg, Germany Posts: 3,440
    tusevun said:
    That’s just a terrible cliché. I‘ve had excellent food in Ireland. And the UK for that matter. 
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,325
    Pearl Jam doesn't play way more places than they do play.  Why do people feel slighted when they live somewhere the band doesn't play.  When they only do 20 or 30 shows on a tour that doesn't really cover a lot of ground.
  • Options
    Kearn5yKearn5y Ireland Posts: 2,706
    tusevun said:
    Hey, our Mc Donalds is as good as your McDonalds
    Kearnsy
  • Options
    And our leprechaun stew is the best!!! 

• Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,840
    Galway named top foodie destination in 2020 by the BBC.

1. Galway, Ireland

Galway Main Street Credit Getty Images
    Billed as Ireland’s largest ever cultural programme, Galway as a 2020 European Capital of Culture packs in an estimated 1,900 arts and culture events. As a shining star in the country’s ever-expanding culinary firmament, food will play a major part; in 2018, Co Galway was awarded Ireland’s first European Region of Gastronomy in recognition of its blossoming culinary credentials. So, while you’re feasting on this year’s stellar arts programme, save space for treats harvested from the epic landscapes surrounding Galway, a city at the heart of Ireland’s Wild Atlantic Way, from heather-grazed lamb to shellfish freshly-plucked from the coast and 52 adjacent islands, to the refined dishes of Michelin-starred Aniar, and hearty Irish breakfasts at The Quay House, Good Hotel Guide’s Irish B&B of the year 2019, set in a 19th-century harbourmaster’s home. Check out our top 10 foods to try in Ireland for even more delicacies from the Emerald Isle.

• Options
    JT167846JT167846 Posts: 834
    Lived there for 9 years. Surprised I never saw my two favourites there but caught Ed in 2017. Seems to be all about the promoters for me. Hell if I were in a big band I'd love to play as many new and exotic places as I could (I do that myself travelling-posting from Myanmar now).  Though I get not all bands are as blessed as Iron Maiden with a qualified commercial pilot as a lead singer. Should I return to Eire I hope to catch them one day.
    Stars are suns to other people.

Wellington 1998
    London 2007
    Brisbane 2009
    Stockholm 2012
    Amsterdam 1 & 2 2014
    EV Dublin 2017
    Milan 2018
    Padova 2018
    Boston 2 2018
  • Options

Touring in Ireland is also probably logistically more complicated if you don’t start or end the tour there. And you have to play in the UK just after or just before. The fact that the London date is in the middle of the tour does not help...
    Makes perfect sense. They're playing mainland Europe only so way easier / faster to ship their stage. They play Hyde Park in the UK however there will be no need to bring the full stage imho. 
    Last time they played in Dublin it was the start of the European leg of their tour, followed by a Belfast gig the following day.

Would love to see them play here again though.