Options

Old School Nintendo Powers. Issues 1-150

So sorry to self promote on this website , I was 80's kid playing my NES like a madman late 90's in college was N64 Goldeneye parties. Just for fun and to beat winter depression I just starting an Instagram page     Nintendo_Power_Memories

Funny Photo's , Reviews , Story's ect. Will only post a twice a day or so. Again just a fun little side thing to bring me back to being a kid. Feel free to follow if you like :)

Comments

• Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,612
    Ill follow.

I love that stuff and still play Nintendo games.

I believe someone posted every issue of Nintendo Power somewhere

ah, here
    https://www.retromags.com/magazines/usa/nintendo-power/

• Options

Thank you so much.

I know they are out there online but something about flipping thru them brought back tons of memories , really the early issues the most.  

• Options
    I will follow only if you can give me cheat codes, lol!
  • Options
    I will follow only if you can give me cheat codes, lol!

Already got one posted.
  • Options
    Nintendo games are brutal and unforgiving.

Its also hard to believe those things were like 40 or 50 bucks a pop.  Lots of stinkers.  

Best games, imo

Battletoads
    Tecmo super bowl
    Baseball stars
    Marble madness
    Tetris
    Super mario brothers 3
    Gun Smoke
    Bionic commando
    Zelda
    Ice hockey

• Options
    Glorified KCGlorified KC KCMO Native Posts: 2,503

I wish I was a sacrifice, but somehow still lived on.
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    I remember marveling at the screen layout of Super Mario Bros. 3.  It was like given a secret decoder ring.  

remember to drink your ovaltine.
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,259
    Had a subscription from the very beginning. Before it was even Nintendo Power, Nintendo Fun Club News. At one time I had every issue from 1 - 110, but got rid of them after college except a few. Best day of the month when the new issue arrived.

I think I also called the tip line a few times playing Super Mario 3.

It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    MayDay10 said:

Its also hard to believe those things were like 40 or 50 bucks a pop.  Lots of stinkers.  

Best games, imo

Battletoads
    Tecmo super bowl
    Baseball stars
    Marble madness
    Tetris
    Super mario brothers 3
    Gun Smoke
    Bionic commando
    Zelda
    Ice hockey

No Skate or Die? Contra?
  • Options
    MayDay10 said:

Best games, imo

Battletoads
    Tecmo super bowl
    Baseball stars
    Marble madness
    Tetris
    Super mario brothers 3
    Gun Smoke
    Bionic commando
    Zelda
    Ice hockey

To this day Battletoads is the game I am most proud of beating without any cheat codes.

Also going back thru all these Nintendo Powers the map layouts are amazing , I knew all the layouts to Super Mario World for SNES before I ever played it because I had studied the guides for hours and hours and hours.

• Options
    tbergs said:
    Had a subscription from the very beginning. Before it was even Nintendo Power, Nintendo Fun Club News. At one time I had every issue from 1 - 110, but got rid of them after college except a few. Best day of the month when the new issue arrived.

I think I also called the tip line a few times playing Super Mario 3.

I only have one of these but I wish I had more.

Current collections NES Games - 235

SNES - 160

N64 - 88

Most of the NES and SNES I got from Funcoland back in the day when used games were only 3-10 bucks although man if I ever need cash I have a lot to sell.

Worked at BlockBuster Video in the late 90's while in college and they used to have us destroy old N64 carts that did not sell. However I interpreted that as just bring them home with you rather than destroy them all.

• Options
    MayDay10 said:

Best games, imo

Battletoads
    Tecmo super bowl
    Baseball stars
    Marble madness
    Tetris
    Super mario brothers 3
    Gun Smoke
    Bionic commando
    Zelda
    Ice hockey

No Skate or Die? Contra?
    That was a list made on my phone from the top of my head, lol... so Im sure I am missing some... but these are the top shelf for me, and games I still play and sometimes play with friends.

I wouldnt put skate/die or contra on that top echelon though.  IMO, the cheat code in Contra always kind of ruined the game for me.  Never really got into skate or die much, although I do remember playing it.  
  • Options
    Matts3221 said:
    MayDay10 said:

Best games, imo

Battletoads
    Tecmo super bowl
    Baseball stars
    Marble madness
    Tetris
    Super mario brothers 3
    Gun Smoke
    Bionic commando
    Zelda
    Ice hockey

To this day Battletoads is the game I am most proud of beating without any cheat codes.

Me too.  As a kid, I couldnt break past a certain level... want to say it was around the Ice level, maybe the surfing one.  Or the rocket ship...  

After college, I lived with a friend who had the same experience.  That Summer we had an arms race playing the game and getting farther and farther each time, until I beat it first, then he did.  

That game is so brutal.  Complete memory and precision with little/no room for error.  
  • Options
    I used to have the first six issues but sold them at a yard sale, which I regret. Found PDF versions online years later...but it’s not the same. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    Matts3221 said:
    MayDay10 said:

Best games, imo

Battletoads
    Tecmo super bowl
    Baseball stars
    Marble madness
    Tetris
    Super mario brothers 3
    Gun Smoke
    Bionic commando
    Zelda
    Ice hockey

I’ve never made it through the turbo tunnel. I have in recent years by using save-states on a emulator, but even that took me about a half-hour. Between that board and the snake board, I can’t fathom how anyone can beat this game. So well done by you. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    MayDay10 said:
    Matts3221 said:
    MayDay10 said:

Best games, imo

Battletoads
    Tecmo super bowl
    Baseball stars
    Marble madness
    Tetris
    Super mario brothers 3
    Gun Smoke
    Bionic commando
    Zelda
    Ice hockey

Me too.  As a kid, I couldnt break past a certain level... want to say it was around the Ice level, maybe the surfing one.  Or the rocket ship...  

After college, I lived with a friend who had the same experience.  That Summer we had an arms race playing the game and getting farther and farther each time, until I beat it first, then he did.  

That game is so brutal.  Complete memory and precision with little/no room for error.  

I should say as a kid when it came out could never make it past level three - speed bikes , I just could not do it. Re-visited the game in my 20's and was able to get to the third to last level ( you had to outrun a rat before he got to a bomb ) , then in my early 30's committed to beating it as a friend said there was no way I could do it.

That game has no room for error and I applaud anyone who has beaten it.

• Options
    I have never seen anyone ever beat Contra without the code.  Hell, getting to the final level seems impossible.  
  • Options
    We had this:

That later turned into this:

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    Jason P said:
    I have never seen anyone ever beat Contra without the code.  Hell, getting to the final level seems impossible.  

You just had to get it down right.  I was able to do it with the three lives , just as a child you memorize everything. as an adult I feel I could not pull it off now but seriously how did I ever beat a game like Castlevania that shit is impossible. I love having my nieces and nephews play old NES / SNES games that are hard they give up after a few mins.  
  • Options
    We had this:

That later turned into this:

So cool! I love the cover for Nintendo Mag and the little pointy Mario Cap
  • Options
    Also shameless self promotion of my winter project. Follow Nintendo_Power_Memories on Instagram. Also if you want to see any game you miss as a kid let me know and I will get a post up about it on the IG account.
  • Options
    Matts3221 said:
    Also shameless self promotion of my winter project. Follow Nintendo_Power_Memories on Instagram. Also if you want to see any game you miss as a kid let me know and I will get a post up about it on the IG account.
    One of the most overlooked (good games): TRUE LIES
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    Matts3221 said:
    One of the most overlooked (good games): TRUE LIES

Will find tonight or over the weekend for you
  • Options
    The thrill of getting to one of the final levels, sometimes just catching a brief glimpse before Mike Tyson uppercutted us into oblivion, is something that is found in very few games today.  Today's games are meant to be finished ... obvious with the DLC ... but there are games out there like Dark Souls that remind me of what it used to be like.
  • Options
    Jason P said:
    The thrill of getting to one of the final levels, sometimes just catching a brief glimpse before Mike Tyson uppercutted us into oblivion, is something that is found in very few games today.  Today's games are meant to be finished ... obvious with the DLC ... but there are games out there like Dark Souls that remind me of what it used to be like.
    Missed being there when my two brothers actually beat Mike Tyson :/ Only have memories of us getting our ass beat.
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,648
    Still convinced that there’s no ending to the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.   Hardest F’ing game ever 
  • Options
    Still convinced that there’s no ending to the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.   Hardest F’ing game ever 
    I said the same thing for years until I saw later levels on YouTube. I think level 4 was the farthest I’ve ever got. Such a hard game. 

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    GI Joe was a very solid NES game that was ahead of its time.  One of the best games created that was based on either a movie or TV show for that system. 
  • Options
    I said the same thing for years until I saw later levels on YouTube. I think level 4 was the farthest I’ve ever got. Such a hard game. 

Yeah until YouTube came around I thought the same thing and then watched a full playthrough. That is a game I cannot fathom how someone every beat it.

YouTube is great for any old NES game you could not beat , speedruns are also fun to watch for some reason, I wonder how long someone worked to get a speedrun down of this stuff.