Will Pearl Jam - I Will Fly You To The Moon And Back sell more than Lightning Bolt?

Lightning Bolt sold 166.000 copies it's first week in the US. Will the 11th album beat it?
"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"

Will Pearl Jam - I Will Fly You To The Moon And Back sell more than Lightning Bolt? 34 votes

Yes. It will sell more.
64%
EdVedder_1vedpunkMakingWavesraindog80PB11041bk159954RoleModelsinBlood31sparky_fryChrisileinBLACK35ddeschlermayerdD-RodPrettyGutstempo_n_groovetylermoorePearl34Jam12inchdocJDime20JojoRice 22 votes
No. It will sell less than Lightning Bolt
35%
halvSomethingCreativeTerryibleEnzeddreamweaverruggs1996Tim SimmonsKN219077aurelgugusMAMIASTJadlerrossstothers 12 votes

Comments

• JDime20JDime20 Posts: 195
    Yes. It will sell more.
    Where is that name coming from? Just taking a stab?
  • JDime20 said:
    The GOAT love song

https://youtu.be/HCm6gRHINqA
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,252
    We don’t even know if the album is done yet. 
  • You can't speculate album sales until the album is completed? 
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • I want my Christmas single first.
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,217
    Is this for realzzzz
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • rummyrummy Posts: 4,436
    edited December 2019
    For what it's worth, I bought Lightning Bolt (CD version) back in 2013 and it's still in its cello wrap (I got a hold of digital download). This was one of the last CD's I bought as I began I've subscribing to Apple Music not long after. Because of this, there's a good chance I won't even purchase a physical copy of the new album (but will listen to it lots via streaming) and I think the new album will not outsell Lightning Bolt. Admittedly, I'm really only speaking for myself and could be very very wrong.
    Post edited by rummy on
  • If it’s good and has a radio hit or two it will sell better. If it’s not as radio friendly, and doesn’t have an solid advertising push then no. I will buy the vinyl regardless but I have Apple Music so I will just stream it. And I have no doubt the next album is going to be amazing! All just my opinion. 

If that was the real name of the album I don’t think I’d even buy the vinyl. That’s a horrible name. 
    Peace,Love and Pearl Jam.
  • ZodZod Posts: 10,527
    I doubt it.   We live in the land of diminishing album sales (piracy, legal streaming etc..).   They don't sell much, so not much is put into promoting them.   Not that it would do much good.   PJ cause a core audience that buys their stuff.   Selling it outside of that audience would be tough.  I'm not sure how much actual marketing would do.   Basically you use Social Media to let the audience know its there, then release it.   People that give a shit will know, people that don't, won't.

The question is when will it come out.   Some rumours made it sound like it was done and in post production.  Others are the same.  Band goes in for recording session, gives it a go, but then in some interview it doesn't sound like they're making much progress.

I hope we get one.   PJ is the last band I buy cd's for anymore.  Otherwise it's just final and download (or "borrow") the flac copy for digital devices.  Thus they'd get two sales out of me.  CD and Vinyl.   Which I'm sure other people do, which makes those album sales numbers even sadder :(

• brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,692
    JDime20 said:
    It's something Stone came up with one night while digging though his album collection: 

"I'm in love with Frank Sinatra
    Fly me to the moon"

From "We Love You" by the Psychedelic Furs.

It's rumored side two is a 21 minute bass duo jam featuring Jeff going head-to-head with The Furs Tim Butler, and on which Eddie and Richard Butler screech and howl in the background, Mike and Stone crank out angular whole tone scale riffs, Matt pounds the crap out of a minimalist kit and Boom holds one droning organ not through out.  It will be considered their avante garde opus.

(Hey, if we're making up shit...  :smile: )
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• PB11041PB11041 Posts: 2,805
    Yes. It will sell more.
    my caveat is this...

with how many fans seem to be clamoring for and in some cases demanding new music from the band, if it does not sell extremely well, and I would expect more than LB because of the long layoff, it would only be because people continue to be okay with stealing music. 
    His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

• PB11041 said:
    my caveat is this...

with how many fans seem to be clamoring for and in some cases demanding new music from the band, if it does not sell extremely well, and I would expect more than LB because of the long layoff, it would only be because people continue to be okay with stealing music. 
    I don't think people steal more music now than in 2013. The percentage of streams versus physical copies keep shifting though.And the attitude of listening to albums VS picking your own songs and listening to playlists have also changed.
    Yes. It will sell more.
    PB11041 said:
    my caveat is this...

I don't think people steal more music now than in 2013. The percentage of streams versus physical copies keep shifting though.And the attitude of listening to albums VS picking your own songs and listening to playlists have also changed.
    didn't say it was more now vs then, just that people are full of shit and are okay with taking things because technology has availed it. streaming is a whole different soulless animal.

• Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,156
    edited December 2019
    PB11041 said:
    PB11041 said:
    my caveat is this...

didn't say it was more now vs then, just that people are full of shit and are okay with taking things because technology has availed it. streaming is a whole different soulless animal.
    People took things when they copied their friends albums on cassettes too. Or copied Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter from the rented VHS. It was just a bit more cumbersome.

So, "taking shit" has never been a problem for people.

If streaming is soulless or not, well that is an opinion you can have ofc Neil.
    Yes. It will sell more.
    PB11041 said:
    PB11041 said:
    my caveat is this...

People took things when they copied their friends albums on cassettes too. Or copied Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter from the rented VHS. It was just a bit more cumbersome.

never said to the contrary, but it is a vastly different animal with each step of technological advancement.  And now it is frictionless and instantaneous. 

edited December 2019
    PB11041 said:
    PB11041 said:
    PB11041 said:
    my caveat is this...

never said to the contrary, but it is a vastly different animal with each step of technological advancement.  And now it is frictionless and instantaneous. 
    That is true. But now, streaming has made it so that the business has slid between the customer and the alluring privacy with something even simpler and more friction-less. Which in some way is pretty cool. 

And now with tour/ticket info and links to the artists merch being included on the artists page on these streaming services - the artist page becoming a hub and an all-inclusive marketplace for the artist I'm starting to see how nifty it is -- and can become.
  • Yes. It will sell more.
    Only if Stone Sings!
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,553
    PB11041 said:
    my caveat is this...

I think the hardcores are the only for sures when it comes to album sales. everything else depends on the first and second singles. if they flop, so will the record. 
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

Yes. It will sell more.
    PB11041 said:
    my caveat is this...

I think the hardcores are the only for sures when it comes to album sales. everything else depends on the first and second singles. if they flop, so will the record. 
    true,and I should clarify extremely well, to me that would be they are outselling lightning bolt.   We are at a weird time in music entertainment history, when cars are being made that only connect to phones.  No CD player in it.  

PB11041 said:
    PB11041 said:
    my caveat is this...

true,and I should clarify extremely well, to me that would be they are outselling lightning bolt.   We are at a weird time in music entertainment history, when cars are being made that only connect to phones.  No CD player in it.  
    I recently found that out when my parents were in the market for a new car just a couple months ago. My dad was pissed that most cars didn't come with a cd player. Crazy. 

www.headstonesband.com

• I don't see what's crazy about that. At all. It's 2019.
    I don't see what's crazy about that. At all. It's 2019.
    I know, i just didn't see it coming, since I'm still an active cd buyer. 

www.headstonesband.com

• For forever my dad put some casette in the cassette deck that had a wire that lead into a portable Discman.

The opposite problem.
    For forever my dad put some casette in the cassette deck that had a wire that lead into a portable Discman.

The opposite problem.
    haha I did that too with my first car. 

www.headstonesband.com

edited December 2019
    For forever my dad put some casette in the cassette deck that had a wire that lead into a portable Discman.

The opposite problem.
    haha I did that too with my first car. 
    Waiting with your friends after soccer practice and in the distance you hear the distant rumble of Frank Zappa blasting from a Discman inside your dads Volvo 240.

Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,794
    When Lightning Bolt came out Billboard didn't count streaming. They started doing that in 2014. So it depends on how well it streams. For example The Who sold 98k copies last week. But streamed about a 1k stream equivalent sales. The #1 album only sold 2k but got streamed an equivalent of 90k
    I miss igotid88
  • MakingWavesMakingWaves Posts: 1,293
    Yes. It will sell more.
    brianlux said:
    JDime20 said:
    It's something Stone came up with one night while digging though his album collection: 

Fly me to the moon"

It's rumored side two is a 21 minute bass duo jam featuring Jeff going head-to-head with The Furs Tim Butler, and on which Eddie and Richard Butler screech and howl in the background, Mike and Stone crank out angular whole tone scale riffs, Matt pounds the crap out of a minimalist kit and Boom holds one droning organ not through out.  It will be considered their avante garde opus.

Awesome!  
    Seeing visions of falling up somehow.

Pensacola '94
    New Orleans '95
    Birmingham '98
    New Orleans '00
    New Orleans '03
    Tampa '08
    New Orleans '10 - Jazzfest
    New Orleans '16 - Jazzfest
    Fenway Park '18
    St. Louis '22
  • PJammer4lifePJammer4life Los Angeles Posts: 2,645
    brianlux said:
    JDime20 said:

Fly me to the moon"

I just saw this on Alternative Nation as breaking news.😎
    Bridge Benefit 1994, San Francisco 1995, San Diego 1995 1 & 2, Missoula 1998, Los Angeles 2000, San Diego 2000, Eddie Vedder/Beck 2/26/2002, Santa Barbara 2003, Irvine 2003, San Diego 2003, Vancouver 2005, Gorge 2005, San Diego 2006, Los Angeles 2006 1 & 2, Santa Barbara 2006, Eddie Vedder 4/10/08, Eddie Vedder 4/12/08, Eddie Vedder 4/15/08, 7/12/2008, SF 8/28/09, LA 9/30/09, LA 10/1/09, LA 10/06/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09, Eddie Vedder 7/6/2011, Eddie Vedder 7/8/2011, PJ20 9/3/2011, PJ20 9/4/2011, Vancouver 9/25/2011, San Diego 11/21/13, LA 11/24/13, Ohana 9/25/21, Ohana 9/26/21, Ohana 10/1/21, EV 2/17/22, LA Forum 5/6/22, LA Forum 5/7/22, EV 10/1/22, EV 9/30/23