Comments

• mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,398
    I agree with this list.  Overall Pretty solid.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,838
    edited November 2019
    These articles are interesting.  It is always neat to see how other people approach lists.  Typically, when I put a list together I want it to be correct.  They have taken a different approach. 

Sorry Yield fans, it is not number 1.   I hope that Stone Gossard finds you all and punches you in the mouth.   Stone writes two gems in Ten and Vs.

Backspacer at number 5 or 6 is pretty bad.
  • I like that he put RA and Binaural near the bottom.  Don't like that No Code is where it is but the first 5 are, well, the best 5....no matter how you sort them.  Depending on the day I could agree with this sorting.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    I will "re-post" what I put in the song ranking post . . .   Music is different to each person.  There will never be an end to the argument of best ever anything when it comes to art.  What needs to end is the argument itself.  It's subjective and as long as it touches you emotionally, that's all that matters.  Your opinion is as good as the opinion of the person next to you.  

That being said, Binaural is my favorite PJ album.  
  • eldermanelderman Posts: 180
    Yield and No Code keep switching places as my #1 album.
  • KevinmanKevinman Posts: 1,909
    elderman said:
    Yield and No Code keep switching places as my #1 album.
    Same here.
    I am lost, I'm no guide, but I'm by your side

06.27.98  Alpine Valley
    10.08.00  Alpine Valley
    09.23.02  Chicago
    06.18.03  Chicago | 06.21.03  Alpine Valley
    10.03.04  Grand Rapids
    10.05.05  Chicago
    05.16.06  Chicago | 05.17.06  Chicago | 06.29.06  Milwaukee
    08.02.07  Chicago | 08.05.07  Chicago
    08.23.09  Chicago | 08.24.09  Chicago
    05.07.10  Noblesville | 05.09.10  Cleveland
    09.03.11  Alpine Valley | 09.04.11  Alpine Valley
    07.19.13  Chicago
    10.17.14  Moline
    08.20.16  Chicago
    08.18.18  Chicago
    09.18.22  St. Louis
    09.05.23 Chicago
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,692
    I only got as far as "Riot Act... our least favorite."
    thumbsdow

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

There should be two lists.  One being personal favorite and one being objective favorite.  

Objectively only Ten or Vs. can have the top spot.  

Personally anyone can have their favorite.
  • the cringe-worthy track “Mankind,” which, regrettably, features guitarist Stone Gossard on lead vocals.

Don’t agree with the list or most of the other stuff that is written. But that is gospel. Cringe worthy. 😂😂😂
    Peace,Love and Pearl Jam.
  • rummyrummy Posts: 4,436
    There should be two lists.  One being personal favorite and one being objective favorite.  

I ... agree. 
  • But on “Sirens,” the guys tear it up, doing their best to channel the Dead Kennedys.

That's sarcasm, right? 
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,692

Good idea, but what is objective about Ten or Vs as the top spots?  Sales?  Number of songs played live?  Number of YouTube hits?  Those are certainly indicators of popularity, but is the most popular necessarily the best?  And what exactly makes a record the "best"?

What I'm getting at is that I'm not sure there can be an objective "best" because there are always going to be differing perspectives on what the criteria are for being "objective".  A song writer might see middle period albums more fitting as objectively best because the songs are generally more sophisticated both structurally and lyrically.  Or a records producer might say a later album is objectively best because it has more or less compression or is a more sonically balanced recording.  What is objective within those parameters varies because of varying perspectives. 

So what I'm trying to get at is that "objective" is hard to define in terms of what make a certain record the "best" record.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• PB11041PB11041 Posts: 2,805
    I took a dump better than the writing on this list.
    His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

• so fucked up....ranking riot act below backspacer is just not possible in any way, shape or form
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • so fucked up....ranking riot act below backspacer is just not possible in any way, shape or form
    Sure it is.  The person is speaking for what they like.
    I agree, in the basic ranking of Riot Act below Backspacer.
    Could write an entire article myself, on what Backspacer means to me and why it does so...based on so many factors going on in my life when it came out.
    Riot Act, for some of those same reasons, does not carry the same weight for me.  There are 3-4 songs that I absolutely love on Riot Act, but that does not add up to more than Backspacer.

Why does anyone think that their estimation of what record is better is any more meaningful than another person's?
    That shit makes me laugh. 

Clearly I recognize that I am in the minority -- the vast minority -- and I am perfectly fine with that. 
    so fucked up....ranking riot act below backspacer is just not possible in any way, shape or form
    Could write an entire article myself, on what Backspacer means to me and why it does so...based on so many factors going on in my life when it came out.
    Riot Act, for some of those same reasons, does not carry the same weight for me.  There are 3-4 songs that I absolutely love on Riot Act, but that does not add up to more than Backspacer.

Why does anyone think that their estimation of what record is better is any more meaningful than another person's?

Clearly I recognize that I am in the minority -- the vast minority -- and I am perfectly fine with that. 
    I actually agree with you, could be a jersey thing.
  • mcgruff10 said:
    so fucked up....ranking riot act below backspacer is just not possible in any way, shape or form

I guess my point is that I don't feel the need to tell everyone else what the best music is. 

Heck, I think that Michael Jackson was a total scumbag piece of shit practitioner of pederasty - and I frequently shared this opinion while he was still alive and abusing....and further, I think that his music makes me want to fucking puke.
    However, many people find his music to be beautiful and soothing -- to make them feel better about the world.

To each their own. 

I rank Backspacer higher than Riot Act, and I refuse to support pederasty. 

Some have differing opinions.

;)
    mcgruff10 said:

It isn’t a jersey thing.  It is about being objective.    Ten isn’t my favorite album but if the band says at a show they are playing Ten front to back it will get a larger response than telling the crowd they are playing Backspacer in its entirety.

• vedpunkvedpunk Posts: 897
    I actually agree with most of the rankings.  I know this is unpopular on this forum but the songs on Backspacer are much more accessible, less skippable and Eddie’s vocals are the best since the turn of the century.
    mcgruff10 said:

It isn’t a jersey thing.  It is about being objective.    Ten isn’t my favorite album but if the band says at a show they are playing Ten front to back it will get a larger response than telling the crowd they are playing Backspacer in its entirety.

100% agree with you.  Yield and No code are my two favorite albums but I am thinking there were a lot of bored people in Moline and Milwaukee.   The jersey thing was a joke ;)
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

100% agree with you.  Yield and No code are my two favorite albums but I am thinking there were a lot of bored people in Moline and Milwaukee.   The jersey thing was a joke ;)
    Yeah, I am trying to take the personal out of it.  Can people honestly say an album with Alive, Even Flow, Black, Jeremy, Garden, Release, porch, Oceans is not better (objectively) than an album with Just Breath, The Fixer and Amongst the Waves as the standouts?  

Not bashing on Backspacer.   Everyone has their own metrics in how to be objective but I just can’t see where Ten or Vs. doesn’t come out on top.

There is a difference between a best album and favorite album list.
  • mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Yeah, I am trying to take the personal out of it.  Can people honestly say an album with Alive, Even Flow, Black, Jeremy, Garden, Release, porch, Oceans is not better (objectively) than an album with Just Breath, The Fixer and Amongst the Waves as the standouts?  

Not bashing on Backspacer.   Everyone has their own metrics in how to be objective but I just can’t see where Ten or Vs. doesn’t come out on top.

agreed....best vs favorite (article says ranked by their favorites)

I don't care how you rank the albums by favorite.  That is personal.  My daughter says Backspacer is her favorite album because that was likely her first real exposure to PJ.

But, as a guitar player (and amateur drummer) to say BS ranks above Riot Act creatively is just lunacy.

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • mcgruff10 said:

So, is ranking determined by popularity?

mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

agreed....best vs favorite (article says ranked by their favorites)

I don't care how you rank the albums by favorite.  That is personal.  My daughter says Backspacer is her favorite album because that was likely her first real exposure to PJ.

But, as a guitar player (and amateur drummer) to say BS ranks above Riot Act creatively is just lunacy.
    Or, is ranking determined by musical complexity/creativity?

I think both of those are good reasons for people to make their rankings...but it still represents what they feel are the criteria.
  • Right....I was incorrect in my first post as I was looking at it from a complexity/creativity standpoint.  If ranked by favorite then there is no reason to argue about it.

• But on “Sirens,” the guys tear it up, doing their best to channel the Dead Kennedys.

That's sarcasm, right? 
    I believe Mike says that Mind your Manners was a Dead Kennedys tribute in a sense. Sirens is an awesome November Rain tribute. And the writer picks Mind your Manners as the best track. 

Peace,Love and Pearl Jam.
  • DaughterXDaughterX Posts: 34
    edited November 2019

I don't think Backspacer's better than Riot Act.

In my opinion it doesn‘t make much sense to rank art like these albums. It always depends on the individual taste in music and the criteria one thinks are important.

• PB11041PB11041 Posts: 2,805
    Certain records are going to strike the heart and mind differently.

I don't care where people rank the records personally, but what does make my brain hurt is the mental gymnastics or weak subjective statements made to crap on a song or record or what have you.  

His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652