Pearl Jam/10C: Instead of the never-delivered singles/Deep , please donate $ of equal value to SSCS.

brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,692
Here's my thought about the undelivered singles/Deep issue: 

Since we never received the two singles or Deep promised, and since maybe we never will, and since the singles would probably only be records most people would only listen to once or twice and then stash forever on a dusty shelf, and since Deep has probably only ever been read cover to cover by 0.75% of all paying members, and since Pearl Jam is an avowed believer in earth and social justice, and since well all have enough stuff and Pearl Jam and Ten Club already have enough money, here's my suggestion:

Pearl Jam, please keep the two promised-yet-never-received singles and Deeps and donate money of equal value to my favorite conservation organization (one your buddies in Red Hot Chili Peppers support), Sea Shepherd Conservation Society.  Tell me how much you think those singles and Deeps are valued at and I will match your donation.  For added value, maybe show up unexpectedly at the next SSCS fund raiser and strum a few songs for the good folks.

Maybe if enough of us made a similar commitment, something really good would happen after all.  Give it a shot.
“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Comments

• brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,692
    100 views, zero comments.  Ya'all are probably thinking I'm kidding or being sarcastic, but honestly, no, I'm totally serious.  I would love it if 10C/Pearl Jam would keep the merch and donate the cost of the two singles and Deeps to SSCS.  Or Wildlands Network would be great also.  Thanks!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Delivering the promised goods and making a donation would be more appropriate
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,193
    No. An extreme delay is bad enough. I'm not interested in a business deciding to cancel my order, keeping my money, and giving it away to someone not of my choosing.
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,680
    I want the music, bri.  :lol:

i do support the whale cause though.  I’d be good if $20 of my $40 analog fee went to St Judes. 
  • disilluziondisilluzion Posts: 1,015
    edited November 2019
    I want my records. I can donate to charity separately. 

Edit: We already donate to Vitalogy Foundation with every ticket purchase, whether we want to or not. And it's tax deductible for them, not for us though. Not complaining, just stating fact.
    Post edited by disilluzion on
  • Delivering the promised goods and making a donation would be more appropriate
    Yes.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • I would support this idea.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
    I want the music, bri.  :lol:

i do support the whale cause though.  I’d be good if $20 of my $40 analog fee went to St Judes. 
    We support the Children's Hospital as well.  Great choice, cp!

pjl44 said:
    No. An extreme delay is bad enough. I'm not interested in a business deciding to cancel my order, keeping my money, and giving it away to someone not of my choosing.
    I'm thinking of it more as an option.  Forced giving is not really giving.

Delivering the promised goods and making a donation would be more appropriate
    Both would work!

I like your user name.  I should have gone with the apt description, HalfAmishGuy51, lol!

• Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,252
    I just want the records that I paid for. Pretty simple. 
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,949
    I’m digital, so I don’t have a dog in the race, but if this idea were to gain momentum, they should fulfill their obligations by delivering the singles and then donate to a good cause separately to make up for the delay and lack of communication. Just one man’s humble opinion. 
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,156
    edited November 2019
    Them donating =/= them not being able to record, mix, master, press and deliver two 7 inches of songs.

Making up - would be to send out three (3) 7 inches of songs recorded, mixed, mastered, pressed and delivered. 
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,193
    brianlux said:
    pjl44 said:
    I think the best way to achieve that goal is to sell/auction your singles after you get them and name the charity it will benefit up front. Maybe encourage others to do the same. This way people can choose who to give to.

Plus, I don't think the Ten Club needs an extra layer of complexity added to this project at the moment. 
  • deadendpdeadendp Posts: 10,434
    edited November 2019
    pjl44 said:
    brianlux said:
    pjl44 said:
    I think the best way to achieve that goal is to sell/auction your singles after you get them and name the charity it will benefit up front. Maybe encourage others to do the same. This way people can choose who to give to.

Plus, I don't think the Ten Club needs an extra layer of complexity added to this project at the moment. 
    +1

The idea is great. I agree that forced giving isn't giving and acknowledge each of us have our own hearts calling to support particular causes. For me, I would choose either our local homeless shelter, the monthly breakfast we help with that provides laundry soap and other toiletries as well as a hot served breakfast, or to help our local school system equivalent of Blessings in a Backpack. Hungry and/or homeless just breaks my heart. 
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1