MSG Night 2 2010 - Live On 4 Legs

Sobelberg8Sobelberg8 Posts: 971
edited October 2019 in The Porch
This is a massive episode folks. I know I post here every week shilling my shit with the hopes that some of you respond and create discussion regarding the show we’re covering (works sometimes, sometimes doesn’t) but this episode in particular myself and everyone involved with this podcast are proud of. This is an incredibly popular show with one of the best set lists of all time that my co-host and I had the absolute privilege to be in attendance for. Again, I know I post here every week, but if there’s one episode you should listen to I don’t think you’re gonna get a better one than this. Links below on my signature and we’re on Spotify too.

Thanks, much love for you all.

Hi, I host a Pearl Jam Podcast. We go back to some of the classic shows in their history and break down the entire setlist front to back. From historic perspective, to performances, to setlist construction, to fan stories. We do our best to capture the magic that is their live act and help you relive those memories, or if you weren't there, maybe turn you on to a show you've never heard before.

Live On 4 Legs can be found on Apple Podcast, Spotify and any other major podcast platform. But please support our website and check out the episodes archived there. Oh, and the Concertpedia as well (for you Five Horizons and Two Feet Thick fans, we've picked up where they've left off)

http://liveon4legs.com
Post edited by Sobelberg8 on

Comments

• on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,955
    Thank you... must be a lot of work putting these together.  Great job!
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• JPPJ84JPPJ84 Posts: 3,462
    ^^ +1
    I wasn’t there but I love that bootleg!
  • RS65573RS65573 Posts: 2,465
    I was there in about the 12th row, Stones side. My wifes mom was in hospice care that week so took my little brother and it was a tough week/show (I did a few this tour and this week). After seeing about 100 shows, this is easily top 5 for the Betterman moment alone. My brother thanks me all the time for bringing him to this show. We both DID get the poster and still have them. To hideous to hang in my opinion however. Grievance and The Real Me tore the roof off and were the most memorable songs for me.
  • on2legs said:
    Thank you... must be a lot of work putting these together.  Great job!
    Labor of love my friend
    Hi, I host a Pearl Jam Podcast. We go back to some of the classic shows in their history and break down the entire setlist front to back. From historic perspective, to performances, to setlist construction, to fan stories. We do our best to capture the magic that is their live act and help you relive those memories, or if you weren't there, maybe turn you on to a show you've never heard before.

Live On 4 Legs can be found on Apple Podcast, Spotify and any other major podcast platform. But please support our website and check out the episodes archived there. Oh, and the Concertpedia as well (for you Five Horizons and Two Feet Thick fans, we've picked up where they've left off)

• on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,955
    I’ve attended all of the MSG shows and if I were to rank this show I would put it 2nd behind 9/11/98.  They are both great shows though.  

If I were to name the most underrated of the MSG shows I would pick 5/1/16.  The pace of the whole first set was ridiculous. Vintage furious pearl jam at its best.  

1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• on2legs said:
    I’ve attended all of the MSG shows and if I were to rank this show I would put it 2nd behind 9/11/98.  They are both great shows though.  

If I were to name the most underrated of the MSG shows I would pick 5/1/16.  The pace of the whole first set was ridiculous. Vintage furious pearl jam at its best.  

I was at that one and admittedly I was being a child because I didn’t get to hear anything new aside from the Doobie Brothers cover. And I called almost every single encore song and just ruined the fun for myself. I haven’t listened to this show since then and we’re gonna finish up all the MSG shows before the end of the year, so hopefully I can make peace with it. I do love the Vs throwback Go intro, I’m not sure they’ve ever done it live before that

• mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,398
    on2legs said:

Agree with this 100%
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • MSG 2 2010 is the greatest show of all time. Period.

I agree with 5/1/16. That main set was fucking insane. Release in the middle of the set was SO loud.

MSG 1 2010 was great too. The first 20 min of that show was vintage PJ
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
    mcgruff10 said:
    on2legs said:

Agree with this 100%
    Agreed.
    9/11/98
    5/21/10
    Then 03 Live at the Garden
    5/1/16
  • Serious question to all since we asked it on the last show - is this show the best of the last decade? There are a ton of great options, but where does this one stand?

In my opinion yes, it is the best I have seen or heard in the last 10 years.
    Hartford 10 and 13 are close.
    edited October 2019
    RS65573 said:
    It definitely could be the greatest show of the decade.  The crowd was absolutely deafening.  The other two contenders imo are hartford 10 (sick sick crowd) and toronto 1, 2011 with neil young (again another sick crowd).  However there was just something about ben coming out and doing hunger strike with ed....I mean the place just exploded.  It was a surreal moment.
  • RS65573 said:
    My home state getting love. I don’t think people realize how great the Hartford shows are. Both of those were mind blowing 

I was at the 9/11/11 as well, and I wouldnt put it on the same level as MSG or those 2 Hartfords.

The first Aint Talkin bout Love in 2010 MAY be my favorite PJ memory ever from the story to screaming chorus. If they threw down the mics and went home the show would have been even better. There was no topping that.
    RS65573 said:
    My home state getting love. I don’t think people realize how great the Hartford shows are. Both of those were mind blowing 
    I often listen to Hartford 96, another stellar show.  
    Hartford 06 was just ok, down near the bottom for me. 
  • mcgruff10 said:
    RS65573 said:
    I often listen to Hartford 96, another stellar show.  
    Hartford 06 was just ok, down near the bottom for me. 
    I think 06 was the one shortened due to curfew, a lot of people were pretty upset over that 

• Greatest night of my entire life, hands down.
  • LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 9,018
    Was lucky to be there! Some of my loose hindsight memories: 
    Band of Horses...never heard of them but they were very good.

"And away we go" ev opening phrase...killer and sticks with me.
    launched some balloons until security stopped me (shows back in the day people were lighting off fireworks! I'm sure there's a good reason for no balloon rule).
    Didn't know how unique it was to get sweet lew-sorry Jeff but...sure you know you sounded strange.
    Hunger Strike with Ben was awesome.
    Slow Lukin...for me kinda the beginning of pj mellowing out (in a nice, good but sad way, saying goodbye to the fury) just growing up.
    Not for You.
    Red black and yellow(didnt know what I was getting at the time) very cool.

Overall it was an intense experience (music+fans) that really ignited my pj fire. 

Didn't care about posters or merch, just music. 
    (Was able to trade for a Kong a few years back from a great fan)

There have been many fantastic shows I've seen before (like arizona 2000) & many since then...that may rival or 'beat' msg 2, but this really started it off for me. 

"Pearl Jam is the greatest band" 
  • LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 9,018

• Loujoe, not to sound like someone trying to promote his stuff... but you’d really appreciate this episode