2023/2024 NBA Season October 18th Opening Tip off! Pg 48

Comments

• Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,384
    Shrewd business move by the Pissed-ons.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,501
    I think he's still getting money from Phoenix too.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,510
    JJ Reddick has Prick written all over his face

Duke Disease I guess
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,786
    How do guys get head coaching positions in the NBA with no prior coaching experience? That could never happen in the NFL. Is basketball just easy to coach? Steve Kerr, now Reddick. Both went from broadcasting straight to being a head coach. Kerr had success because he was taking over a Warriors team that already had a foundation built by Marc Jackson. Plus, Kerr played under two all-time coaches in Phil Jackson and Greg Popovich so he learned a thing or two. Reddick is just gonna be LeBron’s yes-man, and he’s going to bomb. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,671
    How do guys get head coaching positions in the NBA with no prior coaching experience? That could never happen in the NFL. Is basketball just easy to coach? Steve Kerr, now Reddick. Both went from broadcasting straight to being a head coach. Kerr had success because he was taking over a Warriors team that already had a foundation built by Marc Jackson. Plus, Kerr played under two all-time coaches in Phil Jackson and Greg Popovich so he learned a thing or two. Reddick is just gonna be LeBron’s yes-man, and he’s going to bomb. 
    yes man, yes.

as far as bombing, like they said about jerry tarkanian, he’s just gotta roll the ball out there.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,442
    The NBA is all about younger coaches who "get" the players nowadays.

The Lakers are notorious for making bad coaching decisions.  Luke Walton anyone?  There's a guy that literally had to "roll the ball out there".
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,265

The Lakers are notorious for making bad coaching decisions.  Luke Walton anyone?  There's a guy that literally had to "roll the ball out there".

I think I heard/read that the Lakers have had like 8 coaches since the 2010 season :lol:
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options

I think I heard/read that the Lakers have had like 8 coaches since the 2010 season :lol:
    Yeah, They've stunk and Lebron ahs not been any help w that.  Vogel was probably one of the better coaches that they've had and LBJ ran his ass out.
  • Options
    crookedcrosscrookedcross Right Near Da Beach, Boiii Posts: 1,497
    Knicks just traded 5 firsts and Bojan for Mikal Bridges. Not sure how I feel about that.
  • Options
    xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Somewhere in NYC Posts: 9,135
    Knicks just traded 5 firsts and Bojan for Mikal Bridges. Not sure how I feel about that.
    high price in terms of draft capital for a guy who's never been an all-star. amazingly it's the fourth trade all-time between the Knicks and Nets and first since 1983.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • Options
    Useless picks as the Knicks will not be lottery picks.  If they do their homework they can draft what they need and develop players under Tibs.  

If Bridges plays to his potential then this is a win win for them.  I like it.
  • Options
    Useless picks as the Knicks will not be lottery picks. 
    I wouldn't be so sure of that.
    The picks are for 2025, 27, 29 and 31 (with an unprotected swap for 28). The 2025 pick likely won't be a lottery pick, but beyond that, any of those others could be. This smells a lot like the Nets/Celtics trade for Pierce and Garnett that ended up netting the C's Jaylen Brown and Jayson Tatum with the foolishly unprotected picks.
    Huge win for the Nets in my book. Bridges isn't exactly the missing piece to a championship for the Knicks. If you are making this trade for a player like say Anthony Davis or Joel Embiid, a guy who plays a position the Knicks lack a top caliber player at, then this pick haul makes sense. Bridges is redundant to the Knicks roster makeup position wise and as noted above by Xavier has never been an all-star. Stupid move in my opinion. But hey, another Villanova guy, yay.
  • Options
    high price in terms of draft capital for a guy who's never been an all-star. amazingly it's the fourth trade all-time between the Knicks and Nets and first since 1983.
    That is an absolute monster of a deal for the Nets. Good for them for realizing they need to start over. Sorta glad the Sixers did not give that much up?

But also seems like a good short term deal for Knicks too, however they now are likely not going to be able to add another star player. So we'll see how that works out for them.

I love Bridges. I fucking love the Villanova Wildcats. Pains me to see so many god damned National Champions on that stupid team. Hopefully Thibbs runs them into the ground again. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Poncier said:
    The picks are for 2025, 27, 29 and 31 (with an unprotected swap for 28). The 2025 pick likely won't be a lottery pick, but beyond that, any of those others could be. This smells a lot like the Nets/Celtics trade for Pierce and Garnett that ended up netting the C's Jaylen Brown and Jayson Tatum with the foolishly unprotected picks.
    Huge win for the Nets in my book. Bridges isn't exactly the missing piece to a championship for the Knicks. If you are making this trade for a player like say Anthony Davis or Joel Embiid, a guy who plays a position the Knicks lack a top caliber player at, then this pick haul makes sense. Bridges is redundant to the Knicks roster makeup position wise and as noted above by Xavier has never been an all-star. Stupid move in my opinion. But hey, another Villanova guy, yay.
    I'm trusting Leon here.  Dude seems to know what hes doing.
  • Options
    Poncier said:
    I would not go that far but I see where you are coming from.

But from the Knicks perspective, if they feel a smaller pg like Brunson is their main guy, getting a defensive stalwart wing like Bridges makes sense...especially if they can bring OG back. 

chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    That is an absolute monster of a deal for the Nets. Good for them for realizing they need to start over. Sorta glad the Sixers did not give that much up?

But also seems like a good short term deal for Knicks too, however they now are likely not going to be able to add another star player. So we'll see how that works out for them.

I love Bridges. I fucking love the Villanova Wildcats. Pains me to see so many god damned National Champions on that stupid team. Hopefully Thibbs runs them into the ground again. 
    now they should see if they can get Phil Booth or an aging Scottie Reynolds for depth...
    Reading 2004
    Chicago 2007
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
  • Options
    Poncier said:
    I would not go that far but I see where you are coming from.

But from the Knicks perspective, if they feel a smaller pg like Brunson is their main guy, getting a defensive stalwart wing like Bridges makes sense...especially if they can bring OG back. 

He just opted out for more cash most likely.  Lets see if he decides to stay or not.
  • Options

now they should see if they can get Phil Booth or an aging Scottie Reynolds for depth...
    Arcidiacono was on their g league team wasn't he?

Always think it's funny how he was the main guy for years at Nova and now all his teammates are stars in the NBA and he's barely avoiding playing in Europe.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

Always think it's funny how he was the main guy for years at Nova and now all his teammates are stars in the NBA and he's barely avoiding playing in Europe.
    Different players peak at different times.  That is why Bronny can become a good player in the NBA.  He can continue to get better, he hasn't peaked yet.  It's rare that this happens though.

Brunson and Siakm are 2 players that did this.
  • Options
    If Bronny James were named Ronny Rhames (Ving's son?), he'd have never gotten a D-1 scholarship let alone be talked about as being an NBA draft pick.
  • Options
    Lets talk about NBA draft today!

Donovan Clingan will not be an allstar in the NBA ever.  No way. I do not see how he is getting this much hype.
    Risacher looks promising.
    Buzelis has been developing well in the G league.
  • Options

Going back to 2009, I always thought Scottie Reynolds would be a pro in the NBA, always seemed like a winning player.
    Reading 2004
    Chicago 2007
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
  • Options
    Poncier said:
    If Bronny James were named Ronny Rhames (Ving's son?), he'd have never gotten a D-1 scholarship let alone be talked about as being an NBA draft pick.
    That is truth. It also lays claim to players peaking later than others.  He did make the McDonalds all American team.  Not sure if his name got him that or he can play.  There is plenty of back and forth on that.

Lakers will draft him 55th?  I think that's their pick?
  • Options

Going back to 2009, I always thought Scottie Reynolds would be a pro in the NBA, always seemed like a winning player.
    Man I was a huge Scottie fan back then. Both him and Arch were just too small for the NBA though. 

I just think it's gotta be a strange feeling for them seeing their teammates excel more than them at a higher level. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

Man I was a huge Scottie fan back then. Both him and Arch were just too small for the NBA though. 

I just think it's gotta be a strange feeling for them seeing their teammates excel more than them at a higher level. 
    In hindsight you might be right about Reynolds. It must be strange for people in Philadelphia to see Villanova guys on the Knicks since I assume most people there root for the Sixers and Villanova like here with St. John's and the Knicks.
    Reading 2004
    Chicago 2007
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
  • Options

In hindsight you might be right about Reynolds. It must be strange for people in Philadelphia to see Villanova guys on the Knicks since I assume most people there root for the Sixers and Villanova like here with St. John's and the Knicks.
    People still root for St Johns?
  • Options

People still root for St Johns?
    More so now that they got Pitino. They did give Uconn its most competitive game in the last two months of last season..
    Reading 2004
    Chicago 2007
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
  • Options

Actually most people around here resent Villanova. Since the school is a measly 10 miles outside city limits and is more nationally known than the other local schools, people like to make fun of them for not being a "Philly School". Alas, they're just jealous of all the National Championships though. lol

For me, it's definitely a strange feeling. But at least it's not the Celtics...
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

Actually most people around here resent Villanova. Since the school is a measly 10 miles outside city limits and is more nationally known than the other local schools, people like to make fun of them for not being a "Philly School". Alas, they're just jealous of all the National Championships though. lol

I could see that, I never really thought of it that way since Villanova plays home games in the Sixers arena.
    Reading 2004
    Chicago 2007
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
  • Options
    edited June 26

I could see that, I never really thought of it that way since Villanova plays home games in the Sixers arena.
    There's not a whole lot of logic associated with the argument, believe me. They have three banners hanging from the rafters in there. 

To be fair, a lot of the resentment stems from Rollie Massimino sort of dismantling the Big 5 back in the 80's. But that was a million years ago. Get over it. lol
    Post edited by The Juggler on
    chinese-happy.jpg