Options

Why isn't Jethro Tull in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame?

brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,683
The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame confounds me at times.  Some of the bands and musicians that get in seem like long shots at best to me (I won't mention any by name, that's not for me to say here).  And yet Jethro Tull is still shunned by that institution.  I don't get it.  Thoughts? 
“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Comments

• Options
    njnancynjnancy Northern New Jersey Posts: 5,096
    edited October 2019
    There are a lot of fantastic bands, especially from the 70's era who are overlooked.  Look how long Yes waited to be inducted. And Chris Squire, co-founding member & sole bassist until 2014, died before they got voted in.  Is Emerson, Lake & Palmer in ? I doubt it, yet they were mindblowing in their talent. We lost two of them in the past two years so the prospect  almost becomes sad. 

Jethro Tull was my second concert, Madison Square Garden 1978 with Uriah Heep opening. The album, Bursting Out, will always enable me to cherish the amazing performance. I think that Ian Anderson solo and Jethro Tull should both be solidly ensconced in the RRHOF, but they have a very strange way of choosing 'Rock & Roll' talent.

Thin Lizzy & T Rex & The Doobie Brothers are on this years ballot but I guarantee that non rock and roll choices will be inducted over them. 

I share your confoundment.

EDIT to correct Yes's Chris Squire & not Steve Howe passing away in 2015. Was inducted posthumously in 2017. Brain malfunction. RIP CS.
    Post edited by njnancy on
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    njnancy said:
    There are a lot of fantastic band s, especially from the 70's era who are overlooked.  Look how long Yes waited to be inducted. And Steve Howe died before they got voted in.  Is Emerson, Lake & Palmer in ? I doubt it, yet they were mindblowing in their talent. We lost two of them in the past two years so the prospect  almost becomes sad. 

Jethro Tull was my second concert, Madison Square Garden 1978 with Uriah Heep opening. The album, Bursting Out, will always enable me to cherish the amazing performance. I think that Ian Anderson solo and Jethro Tull should both be solidly ensconced in the RRHOF, but they have a very strange way of choosing 'Rock & Roll' talent.

Thin Lizzy & T Rex & The Doobie Brothers are on this years ballot but I guarantee that non rock and roll choices will be inducted over them. 

Steve Howe was at the Yes induction. 

Doobie Brothers aren’t deserving. 

• Options
    DewieCox said:
    njnancy said:
    There are a lot of fantastic band s, especially from the 70's era who are overlooked.  Look how long Yes waited to be inducted. And Steve Howe died before they got voted in.  Is Emerson, Lake & Palmer in ? I doubt it, yet they were mindblowing in their talent. We lost two of them in the past two years so the prospect  almost becomes sad. 

Chris Squire, excuse me.
  • Options
    willbarclaywillbarclay Ottawa, Canada Posts: 3,298
    Love Jethro Tull
    screw the hall of fame 
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,531
    Well, if it was called the Heavy Metal Hall of Fame, then yes, it is travesty Jethro Tull is not in it. 
  • Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    Iron Maiden?  Why haven't they gotten in? 
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,908
    In 30 years we will be wondering how several 90s and 00s bands aren't recognized for their achievements. Some bands we love just don't get their due because there were more popular/impactful ones. 

• Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,908
    I know we can go on all day about bands that deserve to be in and that aren't. Its a weird institution, and the voting is weird and brolitical.

And no offense to JT, there are artists who aren't in as well, who had a way bigger impact than JT. Its just weird how they do it. 

• Options
    njnancy said:
    There are a lot of fantastic bands, especially from the 70's era who are overlooked.  Look how long Yes waited to be inducted. And Steve Howe died before they got voted in.  Is Emerson, Lake & Palmer in ? I doubt it, yet they were mindblowing in their talent. We lost two of them in the past two years so the prospect  almost becomes sad. 

Thin Lizzy!  Oh my, YES!  They definitely should be.  Good call, Nancy!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    Love Jethro Tull
    screw the hall of fame 
    LOL, succinct and to the point.  Well said, Will!

• Options
    Well, if it was called the Heavy Metal Hall of Fame, then yes, it is travesty Jethro Tull is not in it. 
    That Grammy for Heavy Metal band of the year they received is one of the biggest jokes in rock!  The Grammys will never be able to live that one down.

• Options
    In 30 years we will be wondering how several 90s and 00s bands aren't recognized for their achievements. Some bands we love just don't get their due because there were more popular/impactful ones. 

I know we can go on all day about bands that deserve to be in and that aren't. Its a weird institution, and the voting is weird and brolitical.

And no offense to JT, there are artists who aren't in as well, who had a way bigger impact than JT. Its just weird how they do it. 

In the late 60's and on into the 70, Jethro Tull were huge.  Any band big enough to have been invited to perform in the Rock and Roll Circus is (or aught to be) in.

Starts at 2:16

• Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    DewieCox said:
    njnancy said:

Bullshit!  They had more hits than Yes, the Zombies, and Roxy Music combined!
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    Jethro Tull should have been the FIRST prog-rock band inducted.  Long overdue! 
  • Options

the Aqualung album alone should merit induction.

But "Thick as A brick" is a real beauty

• Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,220
    :lol:
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    DewieCox said:
    njnancy said:

Sure, they had some hits, but not even enough to fill a single disc hits package. It’s not like they’re Bob Seger or CCR as far as radio presence.

Absolutely no influence on the landscape at the time or with later generations. 

They’re closer to Foghat than the Eagles or Tom Petty.

I’ll also say the complaining about Warren Zevon needs to just end. Werewolves of London and recording an album and a week on Letterman as you’re dying doesn’t turn him into some no brainer inductee. 

Not saying they always get it right or they haven’t missed some obvious trailblazers or mega successful acts, but when you look through the list of inclusions there aren’t really too many head scratchers. 
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,220
    DewieCox said:
    rgambs said:
    DewieCox said:
    njnancy said:

Not saying they always get it right or they haven’t missed some obvious trailblazers or mega successful acts, but when you look through the list of inclusions there aren’t really too many head scratchers. 
    I'd say the head scratching comes far more from who's not inducted and how long it took certain acts to be inducted.
    They pretty much ignored hard rock/heavy metal for a long time. Black Sabbath eligible for 11 years before finally getting in is absurd, or Deep Purple taking till 2016 to get elected makes no sense. There was definitely an anti hard rock bias for a number of years which has thankfully eased a bit in recent years.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    Poncier said:
    DewieCox said:
    rgambs said:
    DewieCox said:
    njnancy said:

I'd say the head scratching comes far more from who's not inducted and how long it took certain acts to be inducted.
    They pretty much ignored hard rock/heavy metal for a long time. Black Sabbath eligible for 11 years before finally getting in is absurd, or Deep Purple taking till 2016 to get elected makes no sense. There was definitely an anti hard rock bias for a number of years which has thankfully eased a bit in recent years.
    No argument there. I kinda overlook that now that they’re in and those are class headlining bands and they’ve always had deserving headliners.
  • Options
    lexicondevillexicondevil Bay Area Posts: 1,883
    deadendp said:
    Iron Maiden?  Why haven't they gotten in? 
    Exactly.
    1991- Hollywood Palladium, California with Temple of the Dog, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains -RIP Magazine Show Oct. 6th
    1992- Lollapalooza, Irvine, California
    Nothing since then. I suck.
    2016- Fenway Park, Boston - Both glorious nights
    2022- Oakland Night 2
  • Options
    Jethro Tull released a song on their 1974 Warchild album about Climate Change. Skating Away On the Thin Ice of The New Day. 1974. Their album Thick as a Brick is a one song album which is a genius parody of a rock opera.& is brilliant. To see them live is  a visual, musical thought experiment. Ian Anderson is a brilliant front man. He performs as equal parts actor, comedian, wildman, minstrel, flutist & singer. 

They were the first blues/prog band to use woodwinds so predominantly. Flutes weren't seen as legitimate in a rock band until Tull showed how impactful they could be. The image of Ian Anderson playing the flute on one leg is iconic. 

Aqualung, Skating Away, Locomotive Breath, Too Old to Rock & Roll Too Young To Die, Teacher, Hymn 43, Thick as a Brick (radio cut), Cross Eyed Mary, Bungle In The Jungle, Living In The Past, Bouree, The Whistler, To Cry You a Song, A Passion Play,  My God, A Song For Jeffrey, Songs From The Wood, Warchild, the Christmas song Ring Out Solstice Bells..... are just a few of their songs that were successful with radio play &/or the billboard charts ..... 

Their albums achieved gold & platinum status & charted as high as #1.

Fun fact - Tony Iommi was with Tull for about a minute  but he timed it well as he appeared on the Rolling Stones Rock & Roll Circus with them. (@brianlux posted the video).

Jethro Tull were huge in the 70's, huge  &  a large enthusiastic fan base followed them into the 80's & onward. Critics didnt know what to make of them which is one of the things that makesTull so great. They floated between blues, prog, fusion, hard rock, folk music seamlessly.   Ian Anderson  is a musical, lyrical visionary,  genius, an original.

They made an enormous impact on rock  music, in my honest opinion. 
  • Options
    njnancy said:
    Jethro Tull released a song on their 1974 Warchild album about Climate Change. Skating Away On the Thin Ice of The New Day. 1974. Their album Thick as a Brick is a one song album which is a genius parody of a rock opera.& is brilliant. To see them live is  a visual, musical thought experiment. Ian Anderson is a brilliant front man. He performs as equal parts actor, comedian, wildman, minstrel, flutist & singer. 

They were the first blues/prog band to use woodwinds so predominantly. Flutes weren't seen as legitimate in a rock band until Tull showed how impactful they could be. The image of Ian Anderson playing the flute on one leg is iconic. 

Aqualung, Skating Away, Locomotive Breath, Too Old to Rock & Roll Too Young To Die, Teacher, Hymn 43, Thick as a Brick (radio cut), Cross Eyed Mary, Bungle In The Jungle, Living In The Past, Bouree, The Whistler, To Cry You a Song, A Passion Play,  My God, A Song For Jeffrey, Songs From The Wood, Warchild, the Christmas song Ring Out Solstice Bells..... are just a few of their songs that were successful with radio play &/or the billboard charts ..... 

Fun fact - Tony Iommi was with Tull for about a minute  but he timed it well as he appeared on the Rolling Stones Rock & Roll Circus with them. (@brianlux posted the video).

Jethro Tull were huge in the 70's, huge  &  a large enthusiastic fan base followed them into the 80's & onward. Critics didnt know what to make of them which is one of the things that makesTull so great. They floated between blues, prog, fusion, hard rock, folk music seamlessly.   Ian Anderson  is a musical, lyrical visionary,  genius, an original.

Excellent summation of this fine band, Nancy!

I would add to Ian Anderson's credits: Excellent guitarist.  This is an attribute of Anderson's skills that is often not so often noticed (not meaning to criticize you though, Nancy!)  because instrumentally, he is more known for playing flute. Some of my favorite Tull songs feature Ian's intricate acoustic guitar and when I saw them live in 1980, he played a few mostly solo numbers, singing and playing his lovely OO Martin acoustic and I was simply blown away.

Here a fine example of that playing:

• Options
    njnancy said:

OMG, I didn't know that was Tony Iommi!!  Fascinating!

• Options
    brianlux said:
    njnancy said:

I would add to Ian Anderson's credits: Excellent guitarist.  This is an attribute of Anderson's skills that is often not so often noticed (not meaning to criticize you though, Nancy!)  because instrumentally, he is more known for playing flute. Some of my favorite Tull songs feature Ian's intricate acoustic guitar and when I saw them live in 1980, he played a few mostly solo numbers, singing and playing his lovely OO Martin acoustic and I was simply blown away.

No offense brian!! I left out guitar  (& mandolin & other wind instruments) on purpose.  I'd written enough. 

I do believe that Ian Anderson is happiest when he is playing acoustic, folk rock.  That's where his heart truly beats.  Just my take.  

Great musical choices, thanks for posting! 
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Best. Band. Ever. Well, from 1968 to 1978 anyway. I can't think of a stronger decade from any other rock band. Not the Stones. Not the Beatles. Not the Who. 

Tull absolutely blew up the mold with nearly every release during this period.

The only artist who comes close (for me) is David Bowie.

(Note to Metallica fans: Crest of a Knave is actually a pretty damn good album; you can even hear a bass guitar on it. And Rock Island is even better.) 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    DewieCox said:
    rgambs said:
    DewieCox said:
    njnancy said:

Sure, they had some hits, but not even enough to fill a single disc hits package. It’s not like they’re Bob Seger or CCR as far as radio presence.

Absolutely no influence on the landscape at the time or with later generations. 

They’re closer to Foghat than the Eagles or Tom Petty.

I’ll also say the complaining about Warren Zevon needs to just end. Werewolves of London and recording an album and a week on Letterman as you’re dying doesn’t turn him into some no brainer inductee. 

Seger, CCR, Eagles, Tom Petty...
    No, they really don't measure up with the biggest of the big boys, you are right.
    That's fine, until you consider the list of bands that have been inducted includes...
    The Moonglows
    The Flamingos
    Chaka Khan
    The Dells
    Roxy Music
    ABBA
    Donna Summer
    Etc etc
    Add the rap groups and the other solo pop artists and it's a damn crime that Doobies and Till aren't in.

I agree about Zevon.  One kitschy song does not a HOF inductee make.
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    the hall has been a joke for decades. and rolling stone magazine? they compiled a list of the 100 greatest singers. guess who isn't on it? CHRIS FUCKING CORNELL. are you kidding me? neil young and bob dylan are on that list, have barely listenable voices, and chris cornell doesn't even make the list?

these institutions are a joke. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    I agree
    screw the Hall
    screw Rolling stone 
    Jethro Tull kicks ass 
  • Options
    njnancy said:
    brianlux said:
    njnancy said:

No offense brian!! I left out guitar  (& mandolin & other wind instruments) on purpose.  I'd written enough. 

I do believe that Ian Anderson is happiest when he is playing acoustic, folk rock.  That's where his heart truly beats.  Just my take.  

Great musical choices, thanks for posting! 
    Yes!  I think it's in his blood!

dankind said:
    Best. Band. Ever. Well, from 1968 to 1978 anyway. I can't think of a stronger decade from any other rock band. Not the Stones. Not the Beatles. Not the Who. 

Tull absolutely blew up the mold with nearly every release during this period.

The only artist who comes close (for me) is David Bowie.

(Note to Metallica fans: Crest of a Knave is actually a pretty damn good album; you can even hear a bass guitar on it. And Rock Island is even better.) 
    Right on, Dan! 

I remember talking to a record store guy back in the mid seventies about how I was mostly listening to jazz back then because I had felt most rock had gotten so bland by then.  He asked if I had given up on rock all together and I said, "Not all together- I still follow Neil Young and Jethro Tull!"

I agree
    screw the Hall
    screw Rolling stone 
    Jethro Tull kicks ass 
    Damn straight, Will!  :plus_one: