Single Album in One Decade Theory: Writer's Block

jmfjfmfjfmfjfmjfmfjfmfjfmfjjmfjfmfjfmfjfmjfmfjfmfjfmfjjmfjfmfjfmfjfmjfmfjfmfjfmfjjmfjfmfjfmfjfmjfmfjfmfjfmfjjmfjfmfjfmfjfmjfmfjfmfjfmfjjmfjfmfjfmfjfmjfmfjfmfjfmfjjmfjfmfjfmfjfmjfmfjfmfjfmfjjmfjfmfjfmfjfmjfmfjfmfjfmfjjmfjfmfjfmfjfmjfmfjfmfjfmfjjmfjfmfjfmfjfmjfmfjfmfjfmfjjmfjfmfjfmfjfmjfmfjfmfjfmfjjmfjfmfjfmfjfmjfmfjfmfjfmfjjmfjfmfjfmfjfmjfmfjfmfjfmfjjmfjfmfjfmfjfmjfmfjfmfjfmfjjmfjfmfjfmfjfmjfmfjfmfjfmfjjmfjfmfjfmfjfmjfmfjfmfjfmfjjmfjfmfjfmfjfmjfmfjfmfjfmfjjmfjfmfjfmfjfmjfmfjfmfjfmfjjmfjfmfjfmfjfmjfmfjfmfjfmfjjmfjfmfjfmfjfmjfmfjfmfjfmfjjmfjfmfjfmfjfmjfmfjfmfjfmfjjmfjfmfjfmfjfmjfmfjfmfjfmfjjmfjfmfjfmfjfmjfmfjfmfjfmfjjmfjfmfjfmfjfmjfmfjfmfjfmfjjmfjfmfjfmfjfmjfmfjfmfjfmfjjmfjfmfjfmfjfmjfmfjfmfjfmfjjmfjfmfjfmfjfmjfmfjfmfjfmfjjmfjfmfjfmfjfmjfmfjfmfjfmfjjmfjfmfjfmfjfmjfmfjfmfjfmfjjmfjfmfjfmfjfmjfmfjfmfjfmffmjfmfjfmfjfmfjjmfjfmfjfmfjfmjfmfjfmfjfmfjjmfjfmfjfmfjfmjfmfjfmfjfmfjjmfjfmfjfmfjfmjfmfjfmfjfmfjjmfjfmfjfmfjfmjfmfjfmfjfmfjjmfjfmfjfmfjfmjfmfjfmfjfmfjjmfjfmfjfmfjfmjfmfjfmfjfmfjjmfjfmfjfmfjfmjfmfjfmfjfmfmfjfmfjjmfjfmfjfmfjfmjfmfjfmfjfmfjjmfjfmfjfmfjfmjfmfjfmfjfmfjjmfjfmfjfmfjfmjfmfjfmfjfmfjjmfjfmfjfmfjfmjfmfjfmfjfmfjjmfjfmfjfmfjfmjfmfjfmfjfmfjjmfjfmfjfmfjfmjfmfjfmfjfmfjjmfjfmfjfmfjfmjfmfjfmfjfmfjjmfjfmfjfmfjfmjfmfjfmfjfmfjjmfjfmfjfmfjfmjfmfjfmfjfmfjjmfjfmfjfmfjfmjfmfjfmfjfmfjjmfjfmfjfmfjfmjfmfjfmfjfmfjjmfjfmfjfmfjfmjfmfjfmfjfmfjjmfjfmfjfmfjfmjfmfjfmfjfmfjjmfjfmfjfmfjfmjfmfjfmfjfmfjjmfjfmfjfmfjfmjfmfjfmfjfmfjjmfjfmfjfmfjfmjfmfjfmfjfmfjjmfjfmfjfmfjfmjfmfjfmfjfmfjjmfjfmfjfmfjfmjfmfjfmfjfmfjjmfjfmfjfmfjfmjfmfjfmfjfmfjjmfjfmfjfmfjfmjfmfjfmfjfmfjjmfjfmfjfmfjfmjfmfjfmfjfmfjjmfjfmfjfmfjfmjfmfjfmfjfmfjjmfjfmfjfmfjfmjfmfjfmfjfmfjjmfjfmfjfmfjfmjfmfjfmfjfmfjjmfjfmfjfmfjfmjfmfjfmfjfmfjjmfjfmfjfmfjfmjfmfjfmfjfmfjjmfjfmfjfmfjfmjfmfjfmfjfmfjfjmjjjj

What else could it be?

Comments

• Comfortable.

No drama.

Lost that creative edge?

It happens.
  • mr bunglemr bungle Posts: 1,333
    Comfortable.

No drama.

Lost that creative edge?

It happens.

Even given these things, I never imagined PJ would be a one album in a decade band. 
  • BrainofBGABrainofBGA Posts: 4,165
    My thinking behind the ‘stalemate’ for this album was the fact Ed May have / does have ‘writers block’. Did I read / hear somewhere that the music for the album was finished, so maybe it’s the lyrics we’re waiting for before they can start recording. Maybe they’ll release it as an instrumental album!!?
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
    Many "older" bands stop making albums as frequently as they used to.   PJ has been around for 28 years so it seems as if they now fall into that category.

In addition, bands make less money on record sales these days, and without having a big record label to pay you a recording advice, it is not the best investment to self-finance a new record.....not that money is everything.
  • THEBIBLEISTENTHEBIBLEISTEN Posts: 1,872
    edited September 2019
    Well your math might be off cause they released one in 2009 and 2013 and now it’s 2019. It’s 2 albums in the decade . 
  • mr bunglemr bungle Posts: 1,333
    Well your math might be off cause they released one in 2009 and 2013 and now it’s 2019. It’s 2 albums in the decade . 

apologies. in 3 and a half months it will be 1 album in a decade. or is it 3 months and 6 and half days.  Thanks for the prompt correction.
  • on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,955
    Comfortable.

No drama.

Lost that creative edge?

It happens.

Pearl Jam needs Apollo Creed in the studio  

“Now when we fought, you had that eye of the tiger, man, the edge. And now you gotta get it back, and the way to get it back is to go back to the beginning. You know what I mean?

Heh-heh, maybe we could win it back together.

Eye of the tiger, man.”

1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 7,747
    edited September 2019
    Maybe most of them have had kids in that decade and want to spend time watching them grow up because we all die and theres nothing after that so thats whats truly important not making songs for people who just want to hear other songs instead.

• cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,680
    edited September 2019
  • BrainofBGABrainofBGA Posts: 4,165
    Maybe most of them have had kids in that decade and want to spend time watching them grow up because we all die and theres nothing after that so thats whats truly important not making songs for people who just want to hear other songs instead.

I have a two year old and have trouble just getting to the local store let alone record an album subsequent tour. It’s a good point you make.
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • NewJPageNewJPage Posts: 3,309

I have a two year old and have trouble just getting to the local store let alone record an album subsequent tour. It’s a good point you make.
     I have 2 young kids and am able to get to work. Musicians are able to make music and have children. Plus their kids aren't even little 
    6/26/98, 8/17/00, 10/8/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/25/03, 5/28/03, 6/1/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 6/6/03, 6/12/03, 6/13/03, 6/15/03, 6/18/03, 6/21/03, 6/22/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03, 10/3/04, 10/5/04, 9/9/05, 9/11/05, 9/16/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/19/06, 6/30/06, 7/23/06, 8/5/07, 6/30/08, 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 5/4/10, 5/7/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/11/13, 10/17/14, 8/20/16
  • ZodZod Posts: 10,527
    I've also figured it's writers block. It seems they've done several studio sessions over the past few years, but haven't come out with an album.   To me that says they're struggling to make good songs. 

Could be you run out of ideas when you're working on your 11th album.   Could be they recorded but felt they could do better.    IF they were really feeling the creative juices I think we'd have a new album by now.

That being said I agree with some of the other posts.   We grew up surrounded by Veteran rock bands.   We know bands slow down their creative output when they get older.  Albums become further and further between.   Often they aren't quite as good.  Obviously we all hoped PJ would be immune to his, but it's possible they aren't :(
  • Put it this way. 

There is a reason Mike McCready is painting... everything. Jeff is popping up at every skate park from Seattle to Missoula. Stone never seems to be home, but always in a rainforest. Ed had another go at the same thing he did 2 years ago. Like literally the exact same thing, then disappeared like he does sometimes. I’d venture to say if Chris was still alive, Matt would be with Soundgarden, or ToTD would have gotten the proper world tour it deserved. Shit has been so slow lately, i saw someone begging for a “pssst” post. Even poor Santos might be on vacation.

I think these guys are best when they chase the muse for a little bit, but then come back to the one they love in the end, which is us, the core fans
  • Foriginal SinForiginal Sin Posts: 1,771
    edited September 2019
    They’ve also all made a shitload of music on their own/side projects. How many songs can a group of 5 people write in a lifetime? They wrote 3 amazing albums in 4 years, the b-sides alone from Ten would have made most bands careers. I’m cool with them just touring every other year 
    Post edited by Foriginal Sin on
    Chicago 6/29/98, Alpine Valley(EV) 6/13/99, Alpine Valley 10/08/00, Chicago 10/09/00, Phoenix 10/20/00, Orlando 4/12/03, Tampa 4/13/03, San Diego 6/05/03, Vegas 6/06/03, Phoenix 6/07/03, Chicago 6/18/03, Alpine Valley 6/21/03, Orlando 10/08/04, D.C. 10/11/04, Chicago 5/16/06, Chicago 5/17/06, LA 7/12/08, Chicago 8/23/09, Chicago 8/24/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09 (Front Row Center, Finally), Phoenix(EV) 11/4/11, Wrigley 7/19/13, Phoenix 11/19/13, Denver 10/22/14, Wrigley 8/20/16, Wrigley 8/22/16
  • Well your math might be off cause they released one in 2009 and 2013 and now it’s 2019. It’s 2 albums in the decade . 
    Since the release of Backspacer (9/20/09) they’ve only made one studio album, Lightning Bolt (10/15/13). That’s one album in a decade. 
  • PJammer4lifePJammer4life Los Angeles Posts: 2,645
    Maybe time for that Rock Opera he talked about years ago. A focused theme could lead to something great. Worked for Green Day when the well was kinda dry for American Idiot.
    Bridge Benefit 1994, San Francisco 1995, San Diego 1995 1 & 2, Missoula 1998, Los Angeles 2000, San Diego 2000, Eddie Vedder/Beck 2/26/2002, Santa Barbara 2003, Irvine 2003, San Diego 2003, Vancouver 2005, Gorge 2005, San Diego 2006, Los Angeles 2006 1 & 2, Santa Barbara 2006, Eddie Vedder 4/10/08, Eddie Vedder 4/12/08, Eddie Vedder 4/15/08, 7/12/2008, SF 8/28/09, LA 9/30/09, LA 10/1/09, LA 10/06/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09, Eddie Vedder 7/6/2011, Eddie Vedder 7/8/2011, PJ20 9/3/2011, PJ20 9/4/2011, Vancouver 9/25/2011, San Diego 11/21/13, LA 11/24/13, Ohana 9/25/21, Ohana 9/26/21, Ohana 10/1/21, EV 2/17/22, LA Forum 5/6/22, LA Forum 5/7/22, EV 10/1/22, EV 9/30/23
  • TripleB said:
    Since the release of Backspacer (9/20/09) they’ve only made one studio album, Lightning Bolt (10/15/13). That’s one album in a decade. 

If they release an album in 2020 then it will be three albums in a 12 year period.  But yes, you can also say it was one album in a 10 year period.  All in how you look at it.
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,838
    edited September 2019
    NewJPage said:

I have 2 young kids and am able to get to work. Musicians are able to make music and have children. Plus their kids aren't even little 
    Yeah, the kid excuse is totally a joke.  Most people work 40 hours at a minimum and then have family time.  They've either found other stuff they enjoy to fill that 40 hours a week that most people are working, or they just don't have much left in the tank for Pearl Jam.  It isn't surprising.   We are lucky they are still together.  
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,553
    Put it this way. 

There is a reason Mike McCready is painting... everything. Jeff is popping up at every skate park from Seattle to Missoula. Stone never seems to be home, but always in a rainforest. Ed had another go at the same thing he did 2 years ago. Like literally the exact same thing, then disappeared like he does sometimes. I’d venture to say if Chris was still alive, Matt would be with Soundgarden, or ToTD would have gotten the proper world tour it deserved. Shit has been so slow lately, i saw someone begging for a “pssst” post. Even poor Santos might be on vacation.

I think these guys are best when they chase the muse for a little bit, but then come back to the one they love in the end, which is us, the core fans
    I will always kick myself for waiting for the full TOTD world tour.  
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

I wouldn't say the kid "excuse" is a joke. I mean, they all live in different places now, don't they? or at least ed does. so that means, to get together to write, record, and plan a new album release means travelling for long periods, not something most people enjoy, never mind people with children. And with a new album comes the inevitable touring schedule. Which also takes you away from your loved ones. 

it's not something I'd be terribly jazzed about starting either. 

www.headstonesband.com

• BloodMeridian80BloodMeridian80 Seattle Posts: 653
    I wouldn't say the kid "excuse" is a joke. I mean, they all live in different places now, don't they? or at least ed does. so that means, to get together to write, record, and plan a new album release means travelling for long periods, not something most people enjoy, never mind people with children. And with a new album comes the inevitable touring schedule. Which also takes you away from your loved ones. 

Pretty sure Mike, Stone, Ed, and Matt live in Seattle - Ed in West Seattle. Jeff might be the only one without a main base in Seattle area. 
  • on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,955
    edited October 2019
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

Pretty sure Mike, Stone, Ed, and Matt live in Seattle - Ed in West Seattle. Jeff might be the only one without a main base in Seattle area. 
    I was under the impression that Ed spends most of his time in Hawaii, and in baseball season, Chicago. 

www.headstonesband.com

• SEACIDESEACIDE Posts: 410
    its easier to write in times of trouble ... no one wants to hear about how happy things are :)

Love is all you need.....
  • Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,590
    SEACIDE said:
    its easier to write in times of trouble ... no one wants to hear about how happy things are :)

I think this might be part of the equation.   I think they are just enjoying life as life brings it.  Some of them want to do something at one point, not everyone agrees, so they dont push it.  They dont have the pressure they did when they were new, and they are comfortable.   Nothing wrong with it.   We just all wish there was more of  what we love. 
    Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
  • Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 7,747

I was under the impression that Ed spends most of his time in Hawaii, and in baseball season, Chicago. 
    Nah, he's rarely in Chicago. A bit here and there, and certainly in October (well...not this october). I think he was only at Wrigley a few games this season.
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,269
    I could see why they wouldn't want a 72-show tour now that they have kids. But making an album? I don't see that as much. I mean, how much home time does one really need? Not like they have day jobs and need to rent a studio at night. They have no jobs, I'm sure there's plenty of tie to squeeze in some recording and family. 
    Only thing that makes sense to me is lack of motivation by one or more members. Given how active the rest are, I'm guessing mostly just Ed. 
    And that's not a complaint, If I could work 15 years and retire with millions, I'm sure I would too.
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Posts: 16,427
    Good god, can we please stop saying "retire."  No one has freakin retired from Pearl Jam.
    I don't think they'll ever officially retire. they may just fade away eventually, but will always be a band. 

www.headstonesband.com

• bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,949
    I don't think they'll ever officially retire. they may just fade away eventually, but will always be a band. 
    As Neil Young said, “It’s better to burn out than to fade away.”