Options

My piece on Backspacer’s 10th for Consequence of Sound

hi everyone. thought you might be interested in giving this a read. hope you enjoy!

https://consequenceofsound.net/2019/09/making-the-case-for-pearl-jam-backspacer/

Comments

• Options
    AZAAZA Posts: 86
    Great read, It is always interesting to hear a late bloomer, I was like that to U2, getting into a band and then already having a wealth of material to go back and dissect is so rewarding.
  • Options
    buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    I like what you said....
  • Options
    BettrMan21BettrMan21 Chattanooga,Tn Posts: 278
    Such a cool perspective. I was the 13 year kid in 1991 who heard Alive at a friend's house. But man, I am envious. I was similar with the Avett Brothers in that I found them on the their 4th record and I've never had so much fun as going back through their catalog and learning about them secondhand. Great read, dude.
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,456
    hd1072 said:
    hi everyone. thought you might be interested in giving this a read. hope you enjoy!

https://consequenceofsound.net/2019/09/making-the-case-for-pearl-jam-backspacer/
    Awesome read... I really enjoyed. Thank you!
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,643
    Backspacer is a great album. My favorite post-Yield album by far.   
  • Options
    silvosilvo Posts: 290
    Really enjoyed this.....great to see that the band still appeals to new generations as well. I remember I got into PJ at the age of 13 a bit late after Ten had come out and found out that Vs was to be released a couple of months later. I was so excited to know new material would arrive really quickly. I bet it was amazing to go backwards from Backspacer and appreciate all of the other albums that had come before. Plenty to go at, and along with all the boots available, completely immerse yourself in a truly great band's catalogue.
  • Options
    I don't like Backspacer, but your piece is excellent.  You are a good writer.  Keep developing your craft and good luck to you!
  • Options
    NDJeff7NDJeff7 Posts: 205
    Wasn't a huge Backspacer fan when it came out, but I find that I enjoy it more now. I feel like it has aged much better than Lightning Bolt.
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,837
    nicely written and well said. it has inspired me to go listen to it. which is exactly what a good article like this does. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,420
    Fun article and well-written.  Just like the album.  By all accounts, your experience is not much different than what I experienced as a first gen fan when they hit the airwaves at age 14.  Same emotions, same excitement, the deep diving, article reading, rarity seeking, etc.  It's all the same.  You just did it at a different time, that's all.
  • Options
    JPPJ84JPPJ84 Hamburg, Germany Posts: 3,440
    nicely written and well said. it has inspired me to go listen to it. which is exactly what a good article like this does. 
    Me too! Listened twice today and rocked out 🤘🏻 Being in my personal bottom three PJ albums doesn’t really say much... it’s still awesome music 
  • Options
    jjflashjjflash Posts: 4,855
    +1. OP, thanks for sharing. Really enjoyed reading your article.

"The glory days flicker in your mind not as memories, but as mythology".  Similar to how you missed PJ's glory days, I missed the Grateful Dead's. Then and now, the Dead were one of the "cool" bands to like as a college student so, in the early/mid 90s, I obstinately chose not to like them. Garcia dies, I "discover" them, and for the past 20 years I've enjoyed (with a tinge of regret) playing catch-up.

"I don't know what my life looks like without this band. Like any true love, a favorite band is an adventitious gift. It comes with a simple note tacked on: Listen." So true, so true :sunglasses:
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,652
    Turn it up!
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    SomethingCreativeSomethingCreative Kazoo, MI Posts: 3,350
    Great read!  Definitely going to put Backspacer on.  Also, If I were someone that lost touch with PJ over the years, that article would certainly perk up my curiosity.
    "Well, I think this band is incapable of sucking."
    -my dad after hearing Not for You for the first time on SNL .
  • Options
    bonebone Posts: 498
    The story here is great.  It reminds me a bit of thefixer9 when he was going through his Pearl Jam discovery around the same time.  Anyone hear from him lately?
    1993-08-12 - Edmonton, AB, Convention Centre
    2003-05-30 - Vancouver, BC, General Motors Place
    2005-09-04 - Calgary, AB, Pengrowth Saddledome
    2005-09-05 - Edmonton, AB, Rexall Place
    2009-08-08 - Calgary, AB, Canada Olympic Park
    2009-09-21 - Seattle, WA, Key Arena
    2009-09-22 - Seattle, WA, Key Arena
    2011-09-23 - Edmonton, AB, Rexall Place
    2013-11-30 - Spokane, WA, Spokane Arena
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,837
    bone said:
    The story here is great.  It reminds me a bit of thefixer9 when he was going through his Pearl Jam discovery around the same time.  Anyone hear from him lately?
    yeah, forgot about that kid! 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 3,962
    bone said:
    Good question...is he here in another guise? 
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14