Options

What's for dinner? Vegan and Vegetarian Thread

2»

Comments

• Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    hedonist said:
    I just checked - the Ben and Jerry's vegan version is healthier than the non, but the non-dairy kind is fat and carbs through the roof!
    Is anyone really concerned about that, given that you're eating ice cream? ;)
    Well, I have been known to say “fuck it!” a time or three.  
  • Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    deadendp said:
    What's vegan ice cream made from?
    This one, cheap from Lidl and didn't taste all that good is made from coconut oil.

My mom bought some from the brand Oatly, which is made out of oats

Since my daughter and I both hate coconut, the oat version seems to be a far better option. Thank you for the review. 
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options

I liked this one. Made with soy.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    West Coast DreamgirlWest Coast Dreamgirl Posts: 1,819
    edited October 2019
    For protein I would probably add broccoli, sweetcorn or lentils to a jacket potato and sweet potato is nice too, to mix it up a bit. Some people like beans. I'd probably add aioli (garlic mayo), cheddar cheese or cottage cheese as it can be a bit dry.... that's one type of meal, it really depends on what good you like! Quinoa is a grain which makes a good protein alternative and add some homemade ratatouille or roasted vegetables. Budda bowls are quite popular and they contain chick peas, sweet potato, salad and whatever you like with tahini dressing (although I've never tried it). 

I'm sure there are lots of vegan alternatives out there, like vegan quorn, tofu and soya, but you'd have to look into it to double check. Health food shops have a fair share of vegan alternatives. I don't know anything about pea protein I'm afraid as I am a small sized woman.

bflynn1 said:
    I just recently decided to go vegan. I've always been an athlete and I still play competitive golf, run Spartan Races and lift heavy in the gym. My daily caloric goal is 2079 and my macros work out to be 192g protein, 70g fat, and 170g carbs  I'm having trouble putting together a meal plan that will allow me to consistently hit those numbers. Any advice?

In the past I never supplemented protein because it was so easy to get my macros from food. But am I going to have to look at supplementing with a pea protein or something? Obviously fats and carbs are easy targets with this way of eating. Thanks!

Post edited by West Coast Dreamgirl on
  • Options
    The vegan buffé restaurant GREENROOM inside of the amusement park Liseberg is really good.

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options

Traditional swedish saffron buns (that we eat around Lucia (dec 13). 
  • Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434

2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    Gone full vegan since new years. Pretty damn easy with all dairy-products existing in an oat-alternative. 

Cream:

Creme Fraiche

Turkish yoghurt

I also think this cheese works. Doesn't really eat cheese. But if I have to, this is nice.

• Options

• Options

• Options
    Every thursday someone is forced to bring some fika to the afternoon meeting.

It's me this week. So I'm bringing a Vegan rhubarb (or rasberry) sticky chocolate cake with whipped vegan cream.

• Options
    FifthelementFifthelement Lotusland Posts: 6,907
    Made this for dinner last night.  I added pan-fried scallops to it, but of course, that’s optional.  The prep can be time consuming, but cooking it once the pasta is halfway done in only a couple of minutes.

https://www.themediterraneandish.com/mediterranean-olive-oil-pasta/

"What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617
    Would love that, looks great.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    Yeah I could try some of that, the cake looks really nice.... we might try Oat milk, some people at work have that!

Spiritual_Chaos said:
    Every thursday someone is forced to bring some fika to the afternoon meeting.

It's me this week. So I'm bringing a Vegan rhubarb (or rasberry) sticky chocolate cake with whipped vegan cream.

• Options

• Options
    chimechime Posts: 7,838
    edited January 2020
    I can recommend these guys veggie cookbook (https://www.amazon.co.uk/MOB-Veggie-Feed-more-under/dp/1911624415/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=mob+veggie&qid=1560162653&s=gateway&sr=8-1). I also follow them on facebook and insta and they often throw up recipes (not all veggie/vegan)

http://www.mobkitchen.co.uk/

I always have a supply of their peri peri mayo in the fridge to use on sandwiches/wraps etc (make it in batches and freeze)

It is part of this halloumi burger recipe

http://www.mobkitchen.co.uk/recipes/peri-peri-halloumi-burgers
    Post edited by chime on
    So are we strangers now? Like rock and roll and the radio?