Options

Poll--The Weakest Link: Metallica's 'Ride The Lightning' Round 1

MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
Well, guys and girls, it is with deepest pride, and greatest pleasure that I welcome you to another episode of weakest link. 

We will play to determine the GREATEST song on Metallica's album Ride The Lightning.

For anyone new to the game:
You are going to pick the song that you think is the "Weakest Link" after 3 days I remove the three (3) songs with the most votes.
We will then move on to Round 2. - Remember you are voting to eliminate songs from contention.

Lets have fun with this. Remember debating and discussing why your right and others are wrong is always fun.  

Poll--The Weakest Link: Metallica's 'Ride The Lightning' Round 1 44 votes

Fight Fire With Fire
9%
Ponciergoldrusheeriepadavedrakeheuer14 4 votes
Ride The Lightning
0%
For Whom The Bell Tolls
0%
Fade To Black
4%
dankindnjnancy 2 votes
Trapped Under Ice
36%
intodeepSpiritual_ChaosHorospjsteelerfanmadtowndaveOf The AggieRS151862ed243421BLACK35nicknyr15F Me In The BrainHobbestempo_n_groovepetted101NSLSmsmartins18 16 votes
Escape
31%
jeffbrmcgruff10Ledbetterman10pjl44hrd2imgniammine16hauntingfamiliarmrussel1OffSheGoes35joe159HughFreakingDillonRenfieldSmallestOceansBlack,red,yellow 14 votes
Creeping Death
0%
The Call Of Ktulu
18%
jdopjDukeSpirittbergspearljammr78RP112579Gern BlanstenLoujoebbiggs 8 votes

Comments

• Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,987
    edited September 2019
    Trapped Under Ice
    THIS IS AN ALBUM I CAN JOIN IN ON!

(ESCAPE is great by the way! Whatever James says)

https://youtu.be/rUyzqq4wbJk

Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,872
    Fight Fire With Fire

Yeah this is gonna be tough for me. i was at that show in New Jersey. I like Escape and Trapped actually. Went with fire though as my least favorite although i do like it, sounds like it should be on their first album.
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,623
    Trapped Under Ice
    Great album!
    Need to spin and listen to so that I can do a ranking 
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    Trapped Under Ice

Yeah this is gonna be tough for me. i was at that show in New Jersey. I like Escape and Trapped actually. Went with fire though as my least favorite although i do like it, sounds like it should be on their first album.
    I chose between Trapped and Fight Fire. I dig Metallicas "tradition" of starting with a "short" rocker and than going into the title song. But it's a bit throw away, and yes it def sounds like a Kill Em All song.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,383
    Trapped Under Ice
    See the source image
  • Options
    Escape

Worcester1 13, Worcester2 13, Hartford 13, San Diego 13, Los Angeles1 13, Los Angeles2 13
    Trieste 14, Vienna 14, Gdynia 14, Leeds 14, Milton Keynes 14, Denver 14
    Central Park 15
    Fort Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jacksonville 16, Greenville 16, Hampton 16, Columbia 16, Lexington 16, Philly1 16, Philly2 16, NYC1 16, NYC2 16, Quebec City 16, Ottawa 16, Toronto1 16, Toronto2 16, Fenway1 16, Fenway2 16, Wrigley1 16, Wrigley2 16

• Options
    OffSheGoes35OffSheGoes35 Posts: 3,487
    edited September 2019
    Escape
    THANK YOU, MedozK!!! 

And hell yes FFWF sounds like a song from Kill Em All-- that's why it fucking rocks and doesn't deserve to be the first voted off. 
    Post edited by OffSheGoes35 on
  • Options
    Trapped Under Ice
    THANK YOU, MedozK!!! 

And hell yes FFWF sounds like a song from Kill Em All-- that's why it fucking rocks and doesn't deserve to be the first voted off. 

• Options
    Escape
    Yes, I knew you were gonna have nothing to say about that, S_C. :smiley:
  • Options
    Escape
    Check it out Jersey Girl! @njnancy
  • Options
    The Call Of Ktulu
    Not a fan of instrumentals 
    Peace,Love and Pearl Jam.
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,629
    Escape
    Definitely Escape to start.. The top three or four will be interesting.  
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,717
    So many people I know with good tastes in music love this band.  That despite trying I haven't been able to get into their music leads me to sometimes wonder what is wrong with me! 

Enjoy the poll folks- looks like a good one!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,629
    Escape
    brianlux said:
    So many people I know with good tastes in music love this band.  That despite trying I haven't been able to get into their music leads me to sometimes wonder what is wrong with me! 

I got into Metallica in middle school,  1986. It was definitely a time and place thing for me.  It was a good reaction to the hair bands and English new wave.  Once 91 hit and they went commercial,  coupled with Seattle blowing up, I was happy to let them go.  If I started listening to them in my 30s, I never would have liked even this album, Puppets etc. I'm not surprised you're not into them. 
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,987
    edited September 2019
    Trapped Under Ice
    brianlux said:

Have you tried listening to their live album with the symphony orchestra (S&M)? That's a good way in I would say...

https://youtu.be/i94elyHcgyo

ANd now you @brianlux are thinking - "wait a minute, is that the composer who did the score to Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves?". And yes, yes it is.
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
  • Options
    Escape
    ^^^That's not a bad suggestion. 

• Options
    rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,353
    brianlux said:

I'm with you. I respect this band very much but just couldn't latch on to them - even after seeing them live with GNR back in 1992!
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,717
    brianlux said:

Have you tried listening to their live album with the symphony orchestra (S&M)? That's a good way in I would say...

https://youtu.be/i94elyHcgyo

ANd now you @brianlux are thinking - "wait a minute, is that the composer who did the score to Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves?". And yes, yes it is.
    I did listen to a little of this- thanks for the suggestion.  But no, not my thing.  In fact, rarely- very rarely- do I like orchestra mixed with rock.  It's a little bit like putting blueberry yogurt on fajitas. 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,877
    Escape
    Sweet pick!!!
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
    Trapped Under Ice
    brianlux said:

I enjoy the first few albums. Kill'em All being my favorite. Like others kind of lost interest when they went more mainstream.
    #FHP
  • Options
    HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
    Trapped Under Ice
    This one is easy for me being RTL has my favorite Metallica song.
    #FHP
  • Options
    HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,383
    Trapped Under Ice
    Caught them in Dec. of last year.  CD --> FWtBT --> FtB  was a highlight. 

RTL 1-2-3 punch!
  • Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,931
    The Call Of Ktulu
    Great album! Toss up between RTL and Puppets for me, although I like them all through the black album. There’s a clear winner on this album imo and a song I’d actually like to see PJ cover. I think they could do it justice. 
  • Options
    Trapped Under Ice
    bbiggs said:
    Great album! Toss up between RTL and Puppets for me, although I like them all through the black album. There’s a clear winner on this album imo and a song I’d actually like to see PJ cover. I think they could do it justice. 
    Will Stone be singing Jasons backing vocals

SO LET IT BE WRITTEN 

?
  • Options
    Escape
    bbiggs said:
    Will Stone be singing Jasons backing vocals

SO LET IT BE WRITTEN 

?
    Stone’s all like, “Dont Gimme No Creeping Death”.
    Worcester1 13, Worcester2 13, Hartford 13, San Diego 13, Los Angeles1 13, Los Angeles2 13
    Trieste 14, Vienna 14, Gdynia 14, Leeds 14, Milton Keynes 14, Denver 14
    Central Park 15
    Fort Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jacksonville 16, Greenville 16, Hampton 16, Columbia 16, Lexington 16, Philly1 16, Philly2 16, NYC1 16, NYC2 16, Quebec City 16, Ottawa 16, Toronto1 16, Toronto2 16, Fenway1 16, Fenway2 16, Wrigley1 16, Wrigley2 16

• Options
    pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,883
    Trapped Under Ice
    So many good tunes on this album 
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,241
    The Call Of Ktulu
    Hot damn! I love this album. Great songs galore. Fight Fire with Fire is the song I chose to blare out of my 9th grade Social Justice class after I made it through the mock immigration process we were doing. I was the first one accepted in to America and as a reward the instructor told us we could do whatever we wanted. Well, he had a great music system set-up so I slapped my cassette in to the deck and pressed play. I always loved the end of that song. There will be some tough picks here, but really there can only be one that is the clear front runner. I'll probably choose Call of Ktulu first just because there are no lyrics and lyrics dominate on a lot of these tracks.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,931
    The Call Of Ktulu
    I'm gonna have to listen to this entire album tonight at the gym.  It's been way too long and this thread got me excited to re-visit it.
  • Options
    ed243421ed243421 Posts: 7,633
    Trapped Under Ice

The whole world will be different soon... - EV
    RED ROCKS 6-19-95
    AUGUSTA 9-26-96
    MANSFIELD 9-15-98
    BOSTON 9-29-04
    BOSTON 5-25-06
    MANSFIELD 6-30-08
    EV SOLO BOSTON 8-01-08
    BOSTON 5-17-10