Options

Former lead singers of punk bands who have gone on to form a formidable solo career.

MalrothMalroth broken down chevrolet Posts: 2,485
Chuck Ragan- formerly of Hot Water Music

The worst of times..they don't phase me,
even if I look and act really crazy.

Comments

• Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,056
    Clearly Dallas Green of Alexisonfire

https://youtu.be/HD0vcAwHN7s
  • Options
    The hardest working man in music today, Mr. Frank Turner: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKkIysX2Bow
    5/25/06, 6/30/08, 5/17/10, 10/15/13, 10/16/13, 7/11/14, 9/26/15, 4/18/16, (4/20/16), 4/21/16, 8/5/16, 8/7/16, 4/7/17, 7/1/18, 7/3/18, 8/13/18, 9/2/18, 9/4/18, 5/12/22, 5/13/22, 8/22/24, 9/7/24, 9/15/24, 9/17/24

8/1/08, 6/16/11, 6/26/17, 6/27/17, 7/3/19, 2/4/22

11/4/16
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    Paul Westerberg

• Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,756
    Henry Rollins
  • Options
    joe159joe159 Decatur, IL. Posts: 306
    Bob Mould, dude is amazing 
  • Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,271
    joe159 said:
    Bob Mould, dude is amazing 
    This is the correct answer.
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,840
    Tim Barry 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,283
    Strummers, too bad he died !
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    pearljammr78pearljammr78 Posts: 1,613
    Would Iggy Pop count? If so, then him. 
    Peace,Love and Pearl Jam.
  • Options
    SD48277SD48277 Woodstock, NY Posts: 12,242
    Would Iggy Pop count? If so, then him. 
    The Godfather of punk. He totally counts.
    ELITIST FUK
  • Options
    pjl44 said:

Really like this song, never heard of city and colour.
    Website had this song on it,
    I will have to check the by-laws to see if city and colour is
    allowed into the solo career  category ;)

• Options
    Malroth said:
    pjl44 said:

He only goes by City and Colour because he didn't want to "see tshirts with his name on them." Dallas = City, Green = Colour. Rest assured it is 100% his project!

Anyhow, definitely check out his stuff. Pretty great. Little Hell and The Hurry & The Harm are my favorite records. Listen to Bring Me Your Love if you want the solo acoustic vibe.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,681
    Loujoe said:
    Henry Rollins
    I was thinking Henry as well.  A couple of careers to boot!  A fine showing as a solo music artist and an amazing career as a spoken word artist.  Saw his travel/slide show last year and was blown away.  One very memorable evening!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    I love Rollins spoken word. So articulate and moving. His passion is awesome. Would love to see it live sometime. 
    Peace,Love and Pearl Jam.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,681
    I love Rollins spoken word. So articulate and moving. His passion is awesome. Would love to see it live sometime. 
    Go if you get the chance!  The time just flew by.  I'd never sat and listened to someone talk for so long (I think it was over 2 hours) and not get at least a bit twitchy in my seat.  The whole thing was riveting!  The other thing that was impressive is that Henry never relied on any swearing (not that doing so bothers me) the whole time.  He said "son-of-a-bitch" once but that was quoting someone.  And yet the impact of his talk was strong- stronger than any f-bombs! 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Jeff Nelson, Baker aNd Ian MacKaye of minor threat. 

Jello Biafra. 

Im forgetting his name but a guy sold a record label and invested in silicone valley and became a millionaire. 
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    pjl44 said:
    Malroth said:
    pjl44 said:

He only goes by City and Colour because he didn't want to "see tshirts with his name on them." Dallas = City, Green = Colour. Rest assured it is 100% his project!

Anyhow, definitely check out his stuff. Pretty great. Little Hell and The Hurry & The Harm are my favorite records. Listen to Bring Me Your Love if you want the solo acoustic vibe.
    he opened for AIC on their most recent tour, and while i'm not a big fan, (don't care for his voice), he is one helluva performer and songwriter. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    pjl44 said:
    Malroth said:
    pjl44 said:

he opened for AIC on their most recent tour, and while i'm not a big fan, (don't care for his voice), he is one helluva performer and songwriter. 
    Wow...what a crazy pairing. Just watched a video of them doing Nutshell together. Never would have seen that coming, but really cool.
  • Options
    H.ChinaskiH.Chinaski Brooklyn, NY Posts: 1,596

Ian has had numerous bands since Minor Threat as has Brian Baker, i don't know that Jeff Nelson has done much musically aside from helping to run Dischord records... I think he played with Danzig in Samhain in the beginning briefly. None of which would really be solo careers though
    Pine Knob, MI Lollapalooza 1992 / Soldier Field, Chicago 1995 / Savage Hall, Toledo 1996 / Palace, Detroit 1998 / Palace, Detroit 2000 / Pine Knob, MI 2003 / Showbox, Seattle 2004 / MSG, NYC 2008 / Key Arena I & II, Seattle 2009 / Eddie Vedder Beacon, NYC 2011 / Eddie Vedder Benaroya, Hall Seattle 2011 / Barclays, Brooklyn I &II 2013 / Wells Fargo, Philadelphia II 2013 / Wuhlheide, Berlin, Germany 2014 / Wells Fargo, Philadelphia 1 2016 / Madison Square Garden, NYC 2 2016 / Wrigley 2, Chicago 2016/ Fenway 1, Boston 2018/
  • Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,271
    pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:
    Malroth said:
    pjl44 said:

Wow...what a crazy pairing. Just watched a video of them doing Nutshell together. Never would have seen that coming, but really cool.
    A little off topic as it doesn't count as a solo project, but I really liked the You + Me record that Dallas put out with Pink a few years ago

https://youtu.be/nNnBcCk7eDA
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options

Ian has had numerous bands since Minor Threat as has Brian Baker, i don't know that Jeff Nelson has done much musically aside from helping to run Dischord records... I think he played with Danzig in Samhain in the beginning briefly. None of which would really be solo careers though
    I misread and thought it as saying "successful" in general.
  • Options
    Dave Hause- formerly of The Loved Ones