Sharing Streaming Service Login Info? yes/no?

The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,214
edited August 2019 in All Encompassing Trip
August 28, 2019
The Juggler
Tenclub Member
1 Main St
Anytown, USA 12895

Good afternoon folks,

I am writing you this letter to inquire as to your opinion on this subject. I know most people share a Netflix or Amazon account with some people. But how many people? Do you ask them to give you some money to put towards the cost, or do you ask for a login for something else like a trade, or do you just let them freeload off of you? The money does add up after a while.

My brother, who has about a 20 year history of freeloading in general, is/was a little upset at Your Juggler. A while back he asked for my Netflix login. I gave it to him (I also have my parents and my wife's parent's under my account--they raised us, so I feel we owe them free Netflix). Shortly thereafter he asked for my HBO login and I declined, citing that I have already given him my Netflix info. I then countered by saying if he gave me a Hula account or something, like a trade, then I would give him HBO. I also asked him to give me a little money towards it. He didn't have anything else worthwhile and refused to pay and then he blew up and called me selfish yada yada yada. He says everyone shares login info and it's not a big deal. Some time after that blow up, he ended up getting Netflix login info from someone else I guess because he was mad at me. Funny stuff.

Anyway, this topic always comes up with me and him and my other brother. Came up again today as my other brother got HBO recently and shared his account with the other one. They said how stupid my argument was for not giving my info to him in the first place. I don't know. I think I am in the right here. He was basically asking me to give him around $400 a year for his tv enjoyment, and in return I would get nothing. That's not a fair trade, right?. I also think this has to be part of the reason the cost of these things keep going up.

So please opine your thoughts, feelings, and general comments on this subject. I mean, am I wrong? Am I right? Should have I have just thrown caution in the wind and given him and then every Tom, Dick, Harry, Joan, Leslie, Wilma, Huang and Boris all of my credentials and build an army of HBO and Netflix users around the world who are living the streaming service life off of my dime??!?? Where does it end, folks? Where does it end?

Warmest regards,
The Juggler
chinese-happy.jpg
Post edited by The Juggler on

Comments

• Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,734
    Never!  I don't share my logins with anyone.  I'm not handing that out just because someone is too cheap to pay the $10-15 per month that Netflix/HBO/Hulu costs...you gotta pay to play.  A friend asked me for my HBO login and I told him no....this is a guy who once got kicked out of Costco for trying to use his brother in law's costco card because he was too cheap to pay for it.  I know some people have financial struggles but people that are just straight up cheap and looking for handouts are the worst.
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,621
    I share my MLB login with my brother and my buddy.  But they aren't freeloaders, so that's really the difference here.  It sounds like you're taking a moral stance against your brother because it bothers you that he doesn't contribute to the 'community', he only takes.  I don't think there's a right or wrong answer because it seems like it's more about your personal relationship and history.  What about your older brother, who is presumably not a free loader.  If he would have asked you for your HBO, would you have reacted the same way?
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,537
    In my house....
    I pay for Netflix and Cox Contour 
    My girlfriend pays for Amazon Prime
    Her son pays for Hulu.
    We don't share beyond the 3 of us

And you are absolutely in the right for wanting something in return from your brother.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,214
    mrussel1 said:
    I share my MLB login with my brother and my buddy.  But they aren't freeloaders, so that's really the difference here.  It sounds like you're taking a moral stance against your brother because it bothers you that he doesn't contribute to the 'community', he only takes.  I don't think there's a right or wrong answer because it seems like it's more about your personal relationship and history.  What about your older brother, who is presumably not a free loader.  If he would have asked you for your HBO, would you have reacted the same way?
    My other brother let me use his Netflix a while back before I got my own and declined when I asked him if he wanted any money. So, yeah I would’ve returned the favor to him. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Never!  I don't share my logins with anyone.  I'm not handing that out just because someone is too cheap to pay the $10-15 per month that Netflix/HBO/Hulu costs...you gotta pay to play.  A friend asked me for my HBO login and I told him no....this is a guy who once got kicked out of Costco for trying to use his brother in law's costco card because he was too cheap to pay for it.  I know some people have financial struggles but people that are just straight up cheap and looking for handouts are the worst.
    Stay strong!
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,611
    I only share a Netflix with my best friend.  He gave me access years and years ago and then he made some changes and one of them was to quit paying for things like Netflix.  I assumed the payment on the account and he remains on there. 
    Only share.

I laughed at your story and honestly, the only way I would share is if it is allowed and I am not going beyond the number of seats.
    Asking for money to split....ehh, I probably would not, but I don't think it is wrong.  Kinda makes sense.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,598
    edited August 2019
    I had a good two year run on a shared Brazzers password a few years ago!  That was awesome

I have my sister in law's Sirius login though I just started paying for it myself today since the app only kinda works on Apple Car Play.

As long as there are no issues for me watching or listening to my shit when I want, if you are close enough to me that you would ask me for a login then I would probably give it to you.  My brother in law has my MLB,tv login. My mother in law and niece use our Netflix I think.  Whatever.  If I felt like I was being taken advantage of, maybe I would feel different, but I don't so whatever. Enjoy. What goes around comes around. Fuck the man!
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Shared Brazzers accounts can lead to some sticky situations. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    dankind said:
    Jeeeeeesus
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    I have Netflix, Prime, & Hulu.  I get Showtime for a couple months each year when Shameless is on.
    I don't mind trading.  Give me HBO and I'll give you Showtime, etc.  I did give one friend my Netflix but he's a lot better off than me and has helped me out tremendously over the years, so the least I can do is pay him back in crime documentaries and shitty horror films. Also gave another friend my MLB.tv but I get that for free anyway so I don't mind.
    I had a good two year run on a shared Brazzers password a few years ago!  That was awesome

I have my sister in law's Sirius login though I just started paying for it myself today since the app only kinda works on Apple Car Play.

As long as there are no issues for me watching or listening to my shit when I want, if you are close enough to me that you would ask me for a login then I would probably give it to you.  My brother in law has my MLB,tv login. My mother in law and niece use our Netflix I think.  Whatever.  If I felt like I was being taken advantage of, maybe I would feel different, but I don't so whatever. Enjoy. What goes around comes around. Fuck the man!
    How weird was it asking your sister in law for her Brazzers password in the first place?
    chinese-happy.jpg

How weird was it asking your sister in law for her Brazzers password in the first place?
    lol...imagine that...yikes.
    I have Netflix, Prime, & Hulu.  I get Showtime for a couple months each year when Shameless is on.
    I don't mind trading.  Give me HBO and I'll give you Showtime, etc.  I did give one friend my Netflix but he's a lot better off than me and has helped me out tremendously over the years, so the least I can do is pay him back in crime documentaries and shitty horror films. Also gave another friend my MLB.tv but I get that for free anyway so I don't mind.
    One of the things my brother said in response to me telling him I'm not interested in giving him $400 a year for his tv services was that I was already paying it anyway so there is no difference. I can kind of see that point but....that's kind of bullshit too. They're overpriced already as it is. I'm already getting hosed. Giving it to him for free is like getting hosed all over again. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    To those wanting to ride on my st(r)eam train, I say:
    https://youtu.be/PjB9jlDvUNM

• FifthelementFifthelement Lotusland Posts: 6,907
    Nope.  Don’t share our passwords or memberships with anyone outside of our home.
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,413
    dankind said:
    Jeeeeeesus
    What's Brazzers?

I only have MLBtv and my family & friends have it, but i would share with most of them.
  • RenfieldRenfield NYC NY Posts: 1,054
    cutz said:
    dankind said:
    Jeeeeeesus
    What's Brazzers?

I only have MLBtv and my family & friends have it, but i would share with most of them.
    Lol! Had to google Brazzers
    https://www.brazzers.com/
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Renfield said:
    cutz said:
    dankind said:
    Jeeeeeesus
    What's Brazzers?

Lol! Had to google Brazzers
    https://www.brazzers.com/
    Me too!

AND ON MY WORK COMPUTER!  :s

Well, I mean, I guess I didn't have to, but ...

I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,122
    Make him streak thru the quads naked and its a deal.
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,189
    i am against sharing of passwords like that.  i just don't think it's right.  i would say if you live in the same house then it's ok. anyone outside your domicile get their own accounts.

• Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    I worked with a fellow a few years back when it was easy for Canadians to get direct tv.  Him and four family members 4 receivers 1 account.

I guess all they needed was the info from all receivers and the dish installed.  Talk about huge savings.  I have no problem with the sharing of password and accounts.  Most of these corporations have been screwing the consumer for years.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,122
    My biggest problem is that I don't know what I've watched if I'm sharing accounts with a free loader.  My rule of thumb:  under 30, share away.  over 30, get a job loser and create your own account.
    Jason P said:
    My biggest problem is that I don't know what I've watched if I'm sharing accounts with a free loader.  My rule of thumb:  under 30, share away.  over 30, get a job loser and create your own account.
    Haha
    chinese-happy.jpg
    I worked with a fellow a few years back when it was easy for Canadians to get direct tv.  Him and four family members 4 receivers 1 account.

I guess all they needed was the info from all receivers and the dish installed.  Talk about huge savings.  I have no problem with the sharing of password and accounts.  Most of these corporations have been screwing the consumer for years.
    Unlimited though? Would you give out your info to 10 people and not expect any of them to give you anything in return?
    chinese-happy.jpg