US cancels Visa application because persons friend was critical of the US on SoMe

Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,918
edited August 2019 in A Moving Train
"Half awesome"

Ajjawi wrote that he spent eight hours in Boston before he was required to leave. Upon arrival, Ajjawi faced questioning from immigration officials along with several other international students. While the other students were allowed to leave, Ajjawi alleges an immigration officer continued to question him about his religion and religious practices in Lebanon.

The same officer then asked him to unlock his phone and laptop, and left to search them for roughly five hours, Ajjawi alleges. After the search, the officer questioned him about his friends’ social media activity.

“When I asked every time to have my phone back so I could tell them about the situation, the officer refused and told me to sit back in [my] position and not move at all,” he wrote. “After the 5 hours ended, she called me into a room , and she started screaming at me. She said that she found people posting political points of view that oppose the US on my friends list.”

Ajjawi wrote that he told the officer he had not made any political posts and that he should not be held responsible for others’ posts.

“I responded that I have no business with such posts and that I didn't like, share or comment on them and told her that I shouldn't be held responsible for what others post,” he wrote. “I have no single post on my timeline discussing politics.”

The officer then canceled Ajjawi’s visa, informed him he would be deported, and allowed him a phone call to his parents.

https://www.thecrimson.com/article/2019/8/27/incoming-freshman-deported/
"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on

Comments

• dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Normal country? freedom of speech? Democracy? Half awesome?

Ajjawi wrote that he spent eight hours in Boston before he was required to leave. Upon arrival, Ajjawi faced questioning from immigration officials along with several other international students. While the other students were allowed to leave, Ajjawi alleges an immigration officer continued to question him about his religion and religious practices in Lebanon.

The same officer then asked him to unlock his phone and laptop, and left to search them for roughly five hours, Ajjawi alleges. After the search, the officer questioned him about his friends’ social media activity.

“When I asked every time to have my phone back so I could tell them about the situation, the officer refused and told me to sit back in [my] position and not move at all,” he wrote. “After the 5 hours ended, she called me into a room , and she started screaming at me. She said that she found people posting political points of view that oppose the US on my friends list.”

Ajjawi wrote that he told the officer he had not made any political posts and that he should not be held responsible for others’ posts.

“I responded that I have no business with such posts and that I didn't like, share or comment on them and told her that I shouldn't be held responsible for what others post,” he wrote. “I have no single post on my timeline discussing politics.”

The officer then canceled Ajjawi’s visa, informed him he would be deported, and allowed him a phone call to his parents.

https://www.thecrimson.com/article/2019/8/27/incoming-freshman-deported/
    To be fair, an immigration officer -- I mean, you've gotta be at least a little racist/xenophobic to even apply for such a job, right? -- in one of the nation's most notoriously racist cities shouldn't be extrapolated to all of the US.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    There is likely more to the story.  But it's their country and border and immigration officials can pretty kick anyone out for any reason...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,475
    lol
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,537
    Might be because he started too many threads on a forum.
  • PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    Ha, I was thinking the same thing!  I wonder if making multiple anti-American rants on an online forum would be enough cause to deny entry...?  
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,816
    Lol.  Good one!
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,082
    Must have struck a nerve
    hippiemom = goodness
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,274
    Will Harvard come to his defense? 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,122
    Will Harvard come to his defense? 
    They most certainly are doing so.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    delete your social media apps when crossing into the US, friends. immigration 101. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• delete your social media apps when crossing into the US, friends. immigration 101. 
    Weird. No need to do that when visiting Sweden.

Why is that @cincybearcat

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    delete your social media apps when crossing into the US, friends. immigration 101. 

a little orange man named trump. 

the EU has some horrendous immigration issues of its own right now. you might want to step down. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499

So that the local Swedish incels can easily access new victims?
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,082

Hahahaha you really got  hurt by that joke huh?
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,724
    PJ should consider this for their fan club. Or at least their website’s message board. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • delete your social media apps when crossing into the US, friends. immigration 101. 

Hahahaha you really got  hurt by that joke huh?
    https://youtu.be/huobAY7gl30