Political Music

Where is it? Back in 2004 we had Vote for Change and a lot of great political albums. Bush jr was an incompetent and horrible president but this douche now is far worse. His administration is scary too. Pence or Cheney? Both evil motherfuckers. Is everyone just so consumed with their own lives that they have just given up. We need that rage and fire from our artists. They changed America in the 60’s. They brought a fight in the early 2000’s. Sleater-Kinney’s new album is more dystopian instead of the gut punch that was One Beat. Why can’t we get that anger and movement like before. Vote for Change Tour 2020. Something. Please. 
Peace,Love and Pearl Jam.

Comments

• Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,904
    I think theres so many fires rn, people's ire is spread out. BLM, MeToo and greater female empowerment growing from that, environmental crises, racism, guns, and this garbage fire admin. And thats just off the top of my head. I think there are many artists addressing it in their music. I think theres a lot of anger and frustration being reflected in music, but its not necessarily in your face. 
    Also, I think a lot of it boils down to artists not wanting to alienate portions of their fanbase. Especially since its so tough to make money in the music industry now. So no one is really in your face with it. At the very least, I see artists doing their schtick, but then supporting causes that fight the good fight. 

Similar to what PJ has done these past few years. Yeah, they hate trump, but rallying a community around homelessness is more productive. 

Also, with people being more connected via social media now, artists and fans have more immediate outlets for their anger. 
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,042
    Be More Kind by Frank Turner last year is a great one.

I think it's pretty tough nowadays to not come across hamfisted and preachy. The 60s was about shaking people out of their unwavering trust in institutions. Today, we're at odds with each other. It's a totally different thing.
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,636
    When it comes to popular bands i find their political tunes to be pretty embarrassing.   

I like GNR’s tunes.  Linkin Park actually had a good political album.  Surprised me.  

A lot of bands just sound whiny or hypocritical.   I agree with Tim that action is better than tunes

• pearljammr78pearljammr78 Posts: 1,613
    edited August 2019
    Those are all great points and I will check out the album suggestion. I agree, action is better than music. Thanks everyone!! Good posts!
    Post edited by pearljammr78 on
    I think Isbell's White Man's World is one of the best political songs of the past few years. 
    Taylor Swift's new song The Man is really great too. As you said SK has a few of them on The Center Won't Hold.
    Isbell is a treasure. Love his stuff more and more with each passing day. And I am a Taylor Swift fan too so I will check that out. Thanks for the suggestions!!
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,190
    Where is it? Back in 2004 we had Vote for Change and a lot of great political albums. Bush jr was an incompetent and horrible president but this douche now is far worse. His administration is scary too. Pence or Cheney? Both evil motherfuckers. Is everyone just so consumed with their own lives that they have just given up. We need that rage and fire from our artists. They changed America in the 60’s. They brought a fight in the early 2000’s. Sleater-Kinney’s new album is more dystopian instead of the gut punch that was One Beat. Why can’t we get that anger and movement like before. Vote for Change Tour 2020. Something. Please. 
    not sure today's atmosphere and social media outrage culture allows much anti-establishment projects. sad but so many people are outraged at every little thing today an artist may think twice about rocking the boat.  honestly id be concerned to do anything as clear as writing a song like Bush Leaguer today.  In 2003 it caused people to boo and walk out of the show. in today's culture it might lead to some gun toting maga gun toting nut job trying to meet up with you.  sad but true.
    pjhawks said:
    not sure today's atmosphere and social media outrage culture allows much anti-establishment projects. sad but so many people are outraged at every little thing today an artist may think twice about rocking the boat.  honestly id be concerned to do anything as clear as writing a song like Bush Leaguer today.  In 2003 it caused people to boo and walk out of the show. in today's culture it might lead to some gun toting maga gun toting nut job trying to meet up with you.  sad but true.
    Bu$hleaguer caused problems because it's a hamfisted song. I was at the Nassau show and that was rough. Contrast it with something brilliant like Army Reserve. 
    I didn't even think about the safety issue these days. Being the outspoken band that Pearl Jam is, and these wack job MAGA white supremacist going to extremes it does seem scary for sure. But I don’t think Ed and the boys will stay silent for long. And the outrage culture going on makes everyone tired. That’s why this message board is my closest form of social media. I liked Bushleaguer for what it was but other songs are a lot better. 
    We dont need any trump songs.  Theres a million already.  

Infallible >>> Bushleaguer 
    I love love love Infallible 
    I see Infallible less about Trump and more about the environment. But yeah, its a great song, subtly political. One of the best PJ songs in years.

Infallible can’t be about Trump since Lightning Bolt came out in 2013. 3 years before the country truly went to shit. But yes. Great song.  
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,375
    Josh Ritter's new album has some political songs on it & the album is very good. (one of my favorites released this year) Here are the lyrics for "All Some Kind of Dream."

I saw my brother in a stranger's face
    I saw my sister in a smile
    My mother's laughter in a far off place
    My father's footsteps in each mile
    I thought I knew who my neighbor was
    We didn't need to be redeemed
    Oh, what could I have been thinking of?
    Was it all some kind of dream?

I saw my country in the hungry eyes
    Of a million refugees
    Between the rocks and the rising tide
    As they were tossed across the sea
    There was a time when we were them
    Just as now they all are we
    Was there an hour when we took them in?
    Or was it all some kind of dream?

I saw the children in the holding pens
    I saw the families ripped apart
    And though I try I cannot begin
    To know what it did inside their hearts
    There was a time when we held them close
    And weren't so cruel, low, and mean
    And we did good unto the least of those

I saw justice with a tattered hem
    I saw compassion on the run
    But I saw dignity in spite of them
    I prayed its day would finally come
    There was a time when we chose our sides
    And we refused to live between
    We rose to fight for what we knew was right

Last night I lay in my true love's bed
    And she lay there close beside
    And we lay thinking 'bout what lay ahead
    And wondering if the sun would rise
    For it seems that these are darker days
    Than any others that we've seen
    Oh, how we wished that we weren't wide awake
    And this was all some kind of dream
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    edited August 2019
    Im not saying Infallible is about trump.  Im saying that its a way better political tune than a trump one or bush one could ever be.    Love it
    Insignificance is another great one. They do it well more often than not. 
    Im not saying Infallible is about trump.  Im saying that its a way better political tune than a trump one or bush one could ever be.    Love it
    You sir are correct. 
    mfc2006 said:
    Josh Ritter's new album has some political songs on it & the album is very good. (one of my favorites released this year) Here are the lyrics for "All Some Kind of Dream."

I saw my brother in a stranger's face
    I saw my sister in a smile
    My mother's laughter in a far off place
    My father's footsteps in each mile
    I thought I knew who my neighbor was
    We didn't need to be redeemed
    Oh, what could I have been thinking of?
    Was it all some kind of dream?

I saw my country in the hungry eyes
    Of a million refugees
    Between the rocks and the rising tide
    As they were tossed across the sea
    There was a time when we were them
    Just as now they all are we
    Was there an hour when we took them in?

I saw the children in the holding pens
    I saw the families ripped apart
    And though I try I cannot begin
    To know what it did inside their hearts
    There was a time when we held them close
    And weren't so cruel, low, and mean
    And we did good unto the least of those

I saw justice with a tattered hem
    I saw compassion on the run
    But I saw dignity in spite of them
    I prayed its day would finally come
    There was a time when we chose our sides
    And we refused to live between
    We rose to fight for what we knew was right

Last night I lay in my true love's bed
    And she lay there close beside
    And we lay thinking 'bout what lay ahead
    And wondering if the sun would rise
    For it seems that these are darker days
    Than any others that we've seen
    Oh, how we wished that we weren't wide awake
    And this was all some kind of dream
    Great lyrics. Will check out the album. Thank you. 
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,919
    edited August 2019
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"