Crosby, Stills & Nash

willbarclaywillbarclay Ottawa, Canada Posts: 3,298
Just got back from my local record shop and picked up the new (Woodstock anniversary) CSN issue of their first release (self titled).
i already owned an original copy but I’m a sucker for fresh/new vinyl. 
Its limited edition Burgundy colour. Gatefold Jacket is texturized 
As for the vinyl, it’s dead quiet and flat as a pancake 
absolutely wonderful. 

Highly recommend this 

I hope that Deja Vu is going to get a reissue soon.

not sure if there is a CSNY thread here yet, but anyone who wants to discuss these guys and their music let’s have at it. 
Peace 

Comments

• hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Still got my So Far vinyl!

I absolutely love their music and history, their ties to LA as well.

But good god, the one time I saw a live clip I wanted to cover my ears.  Their harmonies were way off from what's heard on albums.

• willbarclaywillbarclay Ottawa, Canada Posts: 3,298
    I picked up the reissue from this year of so far. It’s white vinyl and another textured sleeve. Unfortunately not a gatefold though. 
    I recently also picked up a new bio book on them that I can’t wait to get into.
  • pearljammr78pearljammr78 Posts: 1,613
    Got to see CSNY a couple different times at the Bridge School Benefit concerts. They always sounded good to me there. But what sounds good live doesn’t always translate to video or audio. Still was really cool to see them. 
    Peace,Love and Pearl Jam.
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,596
    What a group!  Some of the songs haven't held up as well for me over the years but so much of this music is timeless. 

I saw CSNY at Winterland, San Francisco in around 1971.  The first set was an acoustic set of just CSN.  It was great and Stills was a real stand out in that set.  For the next set, Neil Young and drummer Dallas Taylor and bassist Greg Reeves joined the trio and played a knock out set which included a stunning "Down By the River".  At the end of that number, we the crowd went wild with cheering and you could tell all four CSNY knew it had been a magical moment as they came together in a tangled group hug of four guys and their guitars.  An unforgettable show!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Look up CSNY with Tom Jones on YouTube if you have a working internet connection (unlike myself) and you will find one HOT! little jam!
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,869
    edited August 2019
    I was recently close to buying two records of theirs... but man... to me they come of as boring mans Simon and Garfunkel at times... they need Neil :)

Would love going through their discography (and the guys solo stuff) when I have the time.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    Man, Simon/Garfunkel have got nothing on CSN(Y)
    ya it can be mellow but the melodies and harmonies are like no other. 
  • Man, Simon/Garfunkel have got nothing on CSN(Y)
    Maybe I should have bough the albums.. found one of the albums for like 2-3 euros... 

Will listen after lunch. 
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    Man, Simon/Garfunkel have got nothing on CSN(Y)
    Maybe I should have bough the albums.. found one of the albums for like 2-3 euros... 

Will listen after lunch. 

a few standouts for me are ...

See the changes (demo version if you can find it)

Suite Judy Blue Eyes

Helplessly Hoping

49 Bye Byes

Carry On

4 + 20

Im a big Stephen Still fan so ...

Im assuming you already know the Neil stuff he did with them.

rgambs said:
    Look up CSNY with Tom Jones on YouTube if you have a working internet connection (unlike myself) and you will find one HOT! little jam!
    Whoa!  I've never seen this.  SO good!

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    "Treetop Flyer" is a great Stills Alone song.

https://youtu.be/NUmIO_MG5IU
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DruIEjQ9ZIk

See the changes (demo) 
    love it 
  • ST66483ST66483 Posts: 673
    Really enjoyed seeing CSNY live, but I must admit their recorded output is probably my least listened to Neil Young project.  Live they were fantastic, and to me the songs were much stronger than on record.
    ST66483 said:
    Really enjoyed seeing CSNY live, but I must admit their recorded output is probably my least listened to Neil Young project.  Live they were fantastic, and to me the songs were much stronger than on record.
    I feel the same way.  I hope there is more great live stuff in the vaults somewhere that will see the light day.

• rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Treetop Flyer is an awesome song! 
    Good call Dankind!
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    That Tom Jones jam is some wierd & wild stuff