Getting setlists spoiled

I remember Swedish MTV-esque channel ZTV used to send every year live from Swedens then biggest musicfestival "Hultsfred". They sent all day long which was very cool -- full concerts, segments and interviews with artists.

And I remember vividly, while waiting for Audioslave to start, the hosts talking before the show and one of them said "the band has a song called Seven Nation Army on the setlist, but we do not know of it it's a cover of the White Stripes song or something else".

Was so pissed. My first time getting a setlist spoiled. 

https://youtu.be/ZmVPD1qak2c
"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"

Comments

• tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,853
    ^^^ That is pretty bad.

At Philly 2 in 2016 I was in a suite where theree were a few "even bros" in the row in front of us(the suites have seats too) and they were all high fiving and talking about something.  One of them was showing his phone to people and they high fived then he came to me and said "I got the setlist!  Here it is!"

I put out my hand and yelled "I DON'T WANNA KNOW THE DAMN SETLIST!!!  THAT'S WHY I COME TO A PEARL JAM SHOW!!!"

His joy quickly went away from his face and I was mad because I knew what they were all clamoring about.  Their giddyness was about the only album they probably know.

I did not make light of my findings to my 3 buddies that I was there with.  Spoiling it for me was more than enough damage, no need for collateral too.

After the Master/Slave walk in, Once and Evenflow was played, the whole arena knew what was going on then.

But it was ruined for me before a note was even played...

I still enjoyed the show.  It was amazing to hear almost 20,000 people sing every word to every song.

EDIT: It was still a "great" show.
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,408
    I sometimes sneak a look at the setlist before the show just so I can see how many encore songs are on tap.....allows me to time my departure to avoid traffic, etc.
  • pearljammr78pearljammr78 Posts: 1,613
    With bands who don’t change up the set lists, I usually check online to see what’s up before hand. Especially if I’m thinking of buying tickets. But bands like PJ and DMB, part of the fun is being surprised. I got a set list before the show started for the Deftones one time. Didn’t ruin the show at all but they don’t really change it up too much. I would be super pissed if some bro dude showed me the PJ set list ahead of time. For sure. 
    Peace,Love and Pearl Jam.
  • JT167846JT167846 Posts: 781
    I'm kind of the opposite 78-with PJ and bands who vary sets I know I'll be surprised so I don't mind. Mind you that's because they usually have huge catalogues. Deftones have that at present-I checked some sets and saw them on a double header-they were awesome.

My biggest spoiler was being front and centre at Ed Kowalczyk in Dublin at the Workman's Club. Tiny and packed out-almost a perfect crowd. Save one of the biggest arseholes I've ever encountered at a gig. I looked away when they taped the set down and the gobshite proceeded to go "OH WOW PAIN LIES ON THE RIVERSIDE! SELLING THE DRAMA!" etc etc. Then tried to push up against me so I'd jog on as he had 50kg on me and threatened to break my jaw because I didn't move. Crowd told him to get to the back as he was arseing it up for everyone and then he tried to bullshit people with some fake sob story which noone bought. Guy pissed me off so much it took me a long time to get back into a state where I could have fun. Met Ed for the second time after though so that made the night passable.

Damn one of the drawbacks about being able to type fast is you rant and all of a sudden realise you've written an essay and hijacked the thread. Sorry lads.

It's so tempting when you are at a cushy spot where you can actually see the setlist. I've moved on occasion to avoid succumbing to temptation.
    Stars are suns to other people.

Wellington 1998
    London 2007
    Brisbane 2009
    Stockholm 2012
    Amsterdam 1 & 2 2014
    EV Dublin 2017
    Milan 2018
    Padova 2018
    Boston 2 2018