Spectrum 2009

eboweddieeboweddie Posts: 914
I listened to the box set over the last week or so. My fave night was the second last one. 30th. Some great tunes played. 

i wish i wish i wish i wish, i guess it never stops

Comments

• Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    edited July 2019
    So disappointed the box was burned discs and not pressed. Made it felt more cheap than it should.

Don't remember what show I liked the most. But listened to it alot back in.. 09/10 when it was released.
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,769
    eboweddie said:
    I listened to the box set over the last week or so. My fave night was the second last one. 30th. Some great tunes played. 
    Well you would be correct sir/madam??? I was at all 4 and the Friday show was without a doubt the best of the 4. I had 2nd row seats for the Halloween show (the last night) and it STILL didn't beat Friday's show.  Well, it beat my view, and the excitement of being the last ever show at the Spectrum, but setlist and sing-a-longs, nothing beat Friday.  God what a great week that was.  Thank you again for those memories Pearl Jam.
  • mookieblalockmookieblalock Posts: 3,173
    eboweddie said:
    I was at that 3rd night as well as 4th. 3rd was definitely the best show. One of the best I’ve seen.
  • KN219077KN219077 Montana Posts: 891
    10-30-09 the band was just “on”. Hold on and In Hiding are highlights. 
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,769
    I just looked at the setlists, I think it may come down to the flow of the songs.  Obviously, there was huge pressure on the band closing out the iconic Spectrum.   Don't get me wrong, it was a great show but I think the pressure may have affected the set list or the flow . . . I remember Ed saying something to the effect "we'll never play this long again."  It was a beautiful send off to a building that holds a lifetime of memories for me.  I still miss it to this day.  And once again, thank you Pearl Jam.
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171
    I just looked at the setlists, I think it may come down to the flow of the songs.  Obviously, there was huge pressure on the band closing out the iconic Spectrum.   Don't get me wrong, it was a great show but I think the pressure may have affected the set list or the flow . . . I remember Ed saying something to the effect "we'll never play this long again."  It was a beautiful send off to a building that holds a lifetime of memories for me.  I still miss it to this day.  And once again, thank you Pearl Jam.
    One helluva week in philly that was. Felt so proud my favorite band got to close the spectrum.  The first show of that run is really underrated. Love that one too
  • eboweddieeboweddie Posts: 914
    What made it such a great venue?. Was it the sound, the city etc.  

i wish i wish i wish i wish, i guess it never stops
    pjhawks said:
    One helluva week in philly that was. Felt so proud my favorite band got to close the spectrum.  The first show of that run is really underrated. Love that one too
    Didnt some other artist play there after PJ? My head says Janet Jackson. But might be incorrect. 
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • moemoe6434moemoe6434 Posts: 455
    pjhawks said:
    Didnt some other artist play there after PJ? My head says Janet Jackson. But might be incorrect. 
    No
    "If she don't love me no more, i know her sister will" Jimi Hendrix
    edited July 2019
    pjhawks said:
    No
    Yes.

But it was Earth Wind & Fire and an Elvis impersonator. 

The final event was a large private cocktail party thrown by Comcast Spectacor chairman Ed Snider on January 16, 2010. Musical acts included a duet of "God Bless America" featuring a recorded Kate Smith alongside a live Lauren Hart, headliner Earth, Wind & Fire, with the very last set being a performance by Elvis interpreter Johnny Seaton.

• mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    edited July 2019
    Night 3 was definitely the best of the four.   What an incredible run of shows.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171
    eboweddie said:
    sound was amazing. Seats were close. And it hosted pretty much every major artist in all genres for about s 40 year period. Also was a major sports venue that hosted the greats in hockey and basketball. Including Something like 7 Stanley cup finals, three or four nba finals, two NCAA basketball finals and what is widely hailed as the greatest college basketball game ever in duke vs kentucky. Oh and loudest crowd I ever heard for Pearl Jam on 4/28/03
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,632
    edited July 2019
    It was great to be a kid at the Spectrum hearing Charles Barkley yell the F word 10x a game. 

Then to be a teen/20 something at the First Union Center hearing A.I. yell it 50x a game.  
    Post edited by cp3iverson on
  • danlee1095danlee1095 Posts: 982
    KN219077 said:
    10-30-09 the band was just “on”. Hold on and In Hiding are highlights. 
    Couldn't agree more.  I was at the show and listen to In Hiding from the boot at least once a week.  In My Tree and Parting Ways other standouts for me.  Ed's vocals the whole night were unreal.
    9/8/98 (NJ), 9/10/98 (NY), 8/23/00 (NY), 8/24/00 (NY), 8/25/00 (NY), 4/30/03 (NY), 7/8/03 (NY), 7/9/03 (NY), 5/12/06 (NY), 6/1/06 (NJ), 6/3/06 (NJ), 8/5/07 (IL), 6/22/08 (DC), 6/24/08 (NY), 6/25/08 (NY), 7/1/08 (NY), 10/4/09 (TX ), 10/30/09 (PA), 5/20/10 (NY), 5/21/10 (NY), 9/3/11 (WI), 9/4/11 (WI), 7/19/13 (IL), 10/18/13 (NY), 10/19/13 (NY), 10/3/14 (MO), 9/23/15 (NY), 9/26/15 (NY), 5/1/16 (NY), 5/2/16 (NY), 8/5/16 (MA), 8/22/16 (IL), 4/7/17 (NY), 6/18/18 (UK), 8/20/18 (IL), 9/2/18 (MA), 9/4/18 (MA), 9/18/21 (NJ), 9/26/21 (CA), 10/1/21 (CA), 10/2/21 (CA), 9/10/22 (NY), 9/11/22 (NY), 9/14/22 (NJ), 9/16/22 (TN), 9/22/22 (CO), 8/31/23 (MN), 9/2/23 (MN), 9/5/23 (IL), 9/7/23 (IL)
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,400
    pjhawks said:
    eboweddie said:
    sound was amazing. Seats were close. And it hosted pretty much every major artist in all genres for about s 40 year period. Also was a major sports venue that hosted the greats in hockey and basketball. Including Something like 7 Stanley cup finals, three or four nba finals, two NCAA basketball finals and what is widely hailed as the greatest college basketball game ever in duke vs kentucky. Oh and loudest crowd I ever heard for Pearl Jam on 4/28/03
    All of this right here^^^^^

Plus, it was a GREAT place to tailgate in the parking lot and surrounding area. People would bring Barbecues & sometimes even a Kegs of beer. Always a good vibe out in the lots partying hours before, and sometimes after, the shows with a bunch of people sharing food , beer and "other essentials."  Eat, Drink throw the football around, play wiffle ball, etc. Always a GREAT time!!

Miss the Spectrum.
  • washedinblack91washedinblack91 Posts: 3,078
    ahhh to be 20 again... i remember i didn't have money for a hotel (pretty sure i couldn't check in even if i did if you had to be 21+) so i just took a Megabus from NYC to Philly and back. then i went back again the next day for the Halloween show. Hold On was amazing live!! i so need another tour while i currently have the time
    PJ: 9/29/04, 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 6/22/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/27/08, 6/30/08, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/18/13, 8/7/16
    eV: 8/4/08, 8/5/08, 6/21/11
    SG: 10/4/08<-- MET STONE!!!
  • Mikemzl91Mikemzl91 Posts: 484
    HERE WE GO!!!!   THIS IS IT!!!