Options

Guitar Picks

RS65573RS65573 Posts: 2,363
Morning all,
I've been into posters for 20 years, but recently I got my first guitar pick in a mystery box and my friend got another. I have no idea the rarity of these things or what they are worth. Is there a site where I can see them all like expressobeans? I got the No Code era (I think) blue JEFF pick. My buddy got a pick with a Cub and a 1 on it.
Thanks for your help!

Comments

• Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,968
    RS65573 said:
    Morning all,
    I've been into posters for 20 years, but recently I got my first guitar pick in a mystery box and my friend got another. I have no idea the rarity of these things or what they are worth. Is there a site where I can see them all like expressobeans? I got the No Code era (I think) blue JEFF pick. My buddy got a pick with a Cub and a 1 on it.
    Thanks for your help!
    They were rare up until the mystery boxes, lol!

@e@elwayvedder
  • Options
    Well I dont necessarily care what the ones I got are worth, if I could get a couple I dig on the bay right now nice and cheap, that would be cool. Also how do you know someone didnt mass produce a whole lot to be faked?
  • Options
    sheckyshecky San Francisco Posts: 1,440
    Just don't pay much them - under $5.-$10. each. Some collectors believe a musician orders just ten or twenty of a specific design but the companies that make them produce hundreds each because they are so inexpensive to produce then wholesale them by the plastic bag full. Just kind of a fun novelty item.
  • Options
    RS65573 said:
    Well I dont necessarily care what the ones I got are worth, if I could get a couple I dig on the bay right now nice and cheap, that would be cool. Also how do you know someone didnt mass produce a whole lot to be faked?
    People can tell the difference between the real ones and the fake ones.
  • Options
    shecky said:
    Just don't pay much them - under $5.-$10. each. Some collectors believe a musician orders just ten or twenty of a specific design but the companies that make them produce hundreds each because they are so inexpensive to produce then wholesale them by the plastic bag full. Just kind of a fun novelty item.
    They are never under $20. But now i'm seeing many that were $3-400 for under or around $100.
  • Options
    RS65573 said:
    shecky said:
    They are never under $20. But now i'm seeing many that were $3-400 for under or around $100.
    When they first hit the market people try and ask for hundreds for certain ones.

Which ones are you seeing that were once 3-400 are only 100 now?

How long ago were they at that price?
  • Options
    The eddie steelers one, and the other eddie cubs pick were 100s, now coming down. As well as the old ed, mike, jeff, stone. Id like to get the whole no code set. Was on 20+ shows that tour.
  • Options
    RS65573 said:
    They aren't fakes - they're "over runs" that the company makes at the same time.
  • Options
    shecky said:
    RS65573 said:
    They aren't fakes - they're "over runs" that the company makes at the same time.
    Sure.

The pick experts are constantly finding people selling "fakes" so you'll have to take that up w them.
  • Options
    shecky said:
    RS65573 said:
    Sure.

The pick experts are constantly finding people selling "fakes" so you'll have to take that up w them.
    You don't have to like it or believe it - I'm just telling you that the companies that manufacture the authentic picks produce "over runs" at the same time they are manufacturing orders. As far as there also being fakes out there - I don't doubt it. 
  • Options
    shecky said:
    shecky said:
    RS65573 said:
    Sure.

You don't have to like it or believe it - I'm just telling you that the companies that manufacture the authentic picks produce "over runs" at the same time they are manufacturing orders. As far as there also being fakes out there - I don't doubt it. 
    What the hell are you talking about?

I said fakes exist and never mention overruns.

I never doubted overruns I mentioned there are fakes.
  • Options
    It's getting slow around here...
  • Options
    shecky said:
    shecky said:
    RS65573 said:
    Sure.

What the hell are you talking about?

I said fakes exist and never mention overruns.

I never doubted overruns I mentioned there are fakes.
    I apparently misunderstand your usage of the word "Sure." I took it to mean the equivalent of "Bullshit.", since your next sentence was: 'The pick experts are constantly finding people selling "fakes" so you'll have to take that up w them.'  One of the imitations of online conversations, I guess...
  • Options
    tschavtschav Posts: 2,762
    edited July 2019
    @RS65573 - if your buddy is interested in trading/selling the Cub pick PM me - i might be willing to trade a few of my picks or buy.
  • Options
    huck_5huck_5 Posts: 80
    How much is the EV pick from his 2009 tour?  He autographed a few "EV" on the back in black sharpie and put them randomly in the wallet sold at his shows. Got one in Nashville.  
    Knoxville, TN '98 | Nashville, TN '03 | Columbia, SC '08 | EV - Nashville, TN '09 | EV - Phoenix, AZ '12 | Charlotte, NC '13
  • Options
    huck_5 said:
    How much is the EV pick from his 2009 tour?  He autographed a few "EV" on the back in black sharpie and put them randomly in the wallet sold at his shows. Got one in Nashville.  
    Wow no kidding...did not know that. Pretty cool. Still have no info on pricing, except ebay.