Options

The Neville Brothers and RIP Art Neville December 17, 1937 – July 22, 2019

Yesterday, we all lost yet another killer keyboard player from New Orleans, Art Neville aka Papa Funk
Charles, his brother is waiting up there, to meet him, and luckily we still have Cyril and Aaron on this planet with us
Last time I saw them all play was when they closed out the New Orleans Jazz Festival,  as they had done so many times before, on the main stage
Eddie V cancelled on us for that trip but the trip went ahead, little did I realize then it would be my last time seeing them play together.
Saw Aaron play the gospel tent that same weekend. Jesus was right there with us   ;)
I've been on the Neville bus for 30 years with them. Tons of great songs and vibes. The musical talent in that family is off the charts
Special thoughts going out to Ivan, Art's son. He is founding Member of Dumpstaphunk, which imo is one of the great funk bands out today.

I think I have asked here before but...anyone else a fan?

Ivan Neville's Dumpstaphunk with Art Neville - New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival 2015
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHL56Y8jzkw&t=166s

news article on Art
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bq8kGEKdx_4

Comments

• Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    My exposure to him (and other NOLA musicians) was via the series, Treme.

Amazing to have those experiences with you :)
  • Options
    helplessdancerhelplessdancer Posts: 5,262
    Indeed ! All Neville Brothers experiences are amazing. Lucky me/us   :)
    Ive said it b4 ... NOLA is the greatest city in the world. Nothing comes close, imo.
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,432
    I got to see The Meters a few years ago......great show!
  • Options
    Nice!
    Papa Funk is the man! There is no denying that!!
  • Options
    Had the great pleasure of seeing the brothers and family in NOLA 1990 ish...one of the highlights was having super in the club...so non chalant and having no idea actually...breaking bread at the next table only to see them on stage a few minutes later..astounding awesome A-list musicianship in my books...forever in my heart RIP....
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,722
    Yeah, heard about that- bummer.  I hope he got a grant New Orleans style funeral parade.  Good man. 
    R.I.P. Mr. Neville
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    At least we still have Cyril and Aaron left   :)
    So the glass is still half full for Neville brother fans AND also last time I saw Ivan Neville(dumpstaphunk) do a solo spot he was performing some of his dad's tunes. As long as we still have NOLA, and that musical legacy,  The Neville's will live on
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSAWlAx-hX4