Options

Baseball Stadium Shows. Good or bad?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,910
    Good.
    They aren't ideal music venues, but Wrigley and its neighborhood is such a great place, with great access to public transportation, that if a band I like plays there, I'll go. I can see how other stadiums may not work for people though. 

• Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,910
    Good.
    I've been more turned off by GA venues (usually small clubs) lately. Getting in/out if you need a beer or to pee has become more of a hassle. Especially if you get a good spot. I'm all in on seated venues, so at least you have your 2x2 space and have to battle only 6-8 people to get in/out. So stadium shows fall into this category and I'm bout that.

• Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,835
    edited July 2019
    Bad.
    What's so bad about a stadium show?  The question isn't "Are stadium shows good or bad in comparison to other venues?," it's just "Are staidum shows good or bad?"  I haven't seen a bad show at a stadium yet, regardless of who I've seen.
    I'm not against stadium shows for PJ. But I would definitely prefer a football stadium over a baseball field. The layout at ballfields just seems strange- at least the way they do it recently. I saw Pink Floyd at Yankee Stadium and that was amazing but the setup was completely different to what they're doing now. 

• Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,113
    edited July 2019
    Bad.
    I understand the need for PJ to play stadiums but their stadium shows make a bad situation worse. 

- they do not invest in a stage show so for the majority of fans there is nothing to watch, except

- their tiny screens, which were almost as small as they were at Fenway. 

- their ticket policy of not disclosing seat location or obstructed view information at time of purchase are made worse by playing enormous stadiums built a hundred years ago leading to more obstructed views.

IMO the answer is to mix in a couple of stadium shows with an arena tour like they did in 2016. But price the arena shows as premium events so fans that want to spend more $ to sit closer have a chance to do so. Pricing arena shows as premium events will bring the gross revenue closer to a baseball stadium show.

And if it must be stadiums only invest in larger screens and some sort of visual show. Blasting lights at the fans is not the right way to light up a show.

(And for the love of ... let fans know at time of purchase whether they have a stage view or not)
    Post edited by Lerxst1992 on
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,628
    Bad.
    I understand the need for PJ to play stadiums but their stadium shows make a bad situation worse. 

- they do not invest in a stage show so for the majority of fans there is nothing to watch, except

- their ticket policy of not disclosing seat location or obstructed view information at time of purchase are made worse by playing enormous stadiums built a hundred years ago leading to more obstructed views.

IMO the answer is to mix in a couple of stadium shows with an arena tour like they did in 2016. But price the arena shows as premium events so fans that want to spend more $ to sit closer have a chance to do so. Pricing arena shows as premium events will bring the gross revenue closer to a baseball stadium show.

And if it must be stadiums only invest in larger screens and some sort of visual show. Blasting lights at the fans is not the right way to light up a show.
    This is a really good point (highlighted).  Most bands that do stadiums have a pretty good setup, usually with huge light shows, large screens behind and on the side, etc.  I remember GnR had a pretty wicked setup including fireworks at the end of the show down in Miami.  While there are the larger screens for PJ on the side, they have also inexplicably decided to show the first half of shows in B&W.  So now you're if you're not upfront, you are naturally watching the screen and it's not even in damn color!  I do not get why they decided to do B&W now.  It's stupid and makes for a poorer fan experience.  
  • Options
    Bad.
    mrussel1 said:

This is a really good point (highlighted).  Most bands that do stadiums have a pretty good setup, usually with huge light shows, large screens behind and on the side, etc.  I remember GnR had a pretty wicked setup including fireworks at the end of the show down in Miami.  While there are the larger screens for PJ on the side, they have also inexplicably decided to show the first half of shows in B&W.  So now you're if you're not upfront, you are naturally watching the screen and it's not even in damn color!  I do not get why they decided to do B&W now.  It's stupid and makes for a poorer fan experience.  

I was about 35 rows behind the Fenway dugout and could not see much detail on the screens if any at all

Part of that was due to the black white video and partly also due to the lights they shine outward most of the show. I think big color screens near 2nd base would help. If that can be done without blocking any views.

Please please please consult with Howard Ungerleider. Not much stadium experience but he is one of the best at arena concert lighting.
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,628
    Bad.
    mrussel1 said:

I was about 35 rows behind the Fenway dugout and could not see much detail on the screens if any at all

Part of that was due to the black white video and partly also due to the lights they shine outward most of the show. I think big color screens near 2nd base would help. If that can be done without blocking any views.

Please please please consult with Howard Ungerleider. Not much stadium experience but he is one of the best at arena concert lighting.
    At Fenway, I was in the second row of the second section on the floor, and still spent much of the time looking at the screen.  Even those "good seats" were worse than anything I've ever had in an arena.  I was fortunate enough to be in the pit Sea 1, 2 and Missoula, but I can still complain about those massive pits.  They're really hard if you're in deep.  Way different than the little pits in the arenas.  
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,112
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

At Fenway, I was in the second row of the second section on the floor, and still spent much of the time looking at the screen.  Even those "good seats" were worse than anything I've ever had in an arena.  I was fortunate enough to be in the pit Sea 1, 2 and Missoula, but I can still complain about those massive pits.  They're really hard if you're in deep.  Way different than the little pits in the arenas.  
    I usually don't like to sit past row 20 on the floor and I'm 6'2.   The plane (angle of your view with the stage) declines as you get further back.  It means everything blocks your view.  People waiving their arms, people close to height as you etc.....  That creates a problem at stadium shows.    There's so many rows on the floor, that statistically speaking, the majority of them aren't very good.  At least at an arena if there's 45 rows on the floor, it's 50/50 whether the floor seats are any good :)

Usually after row 20, I'd rather being in the wings closer to the stage.   That makes it interesting in a baseball configuration, because they play in the outfield, and the wings are also really far away.

Basically the key to baseball stadium shows is to get GA tickets, show up at 4pm, and park yourself around 15th row on the floor :)
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,746
    I can speak for Pearl Jam shows only but I have been to 7 stadium shows so far and loved everyone of them. Yes arena's are better but Fenway night 2 2016 was one of the best nights of my life and I was miles away. 
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,685
    Bad.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,685
    Bad.
    "Yeah, Jack?  Me, Bob.  Yeah, let's cancel that show at Fenway next month.  No, only a few hundred showed up here.  Yeah, sucks, man."

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Bad.
    PJNB said:
    I can speak for Pearl Jam shows only but I have been to 7 stadium shows so far and loved everyone of them. Yes arena's are better but Fenway night 2 2016 was one of the best nights of my life and I was miles away. 

I had a great time at Fenway 1 in 2018 because....PJ, considering I had a pole blocking the view.

If we are near the end (not in years but total career shows) I understand the need for stadiums. I wish they'd experiment with pricing arenas at a similar gross revenue as stadiums (with many price points) because these shows are as premium as any event.
  • Options
    Bad.
    Zod said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

I usually don't like to sit past row 20 on the floor and I'm 6'2.   The plane (angle of your view with the stage) declines as you get further back.  It means everything blocks your view.  People waiving their arms, people close to height as you etc.....  That creates a problem at stadium shows.    There's so many rows on the floor, that statistically speaking, the majority of them aren't very good.  At least at an arena if there's 45 rows on the floor, it's 50/50 whether the floor seats are any good :)

Usually after row 20, I'd rather being in the wings closer to the stage.   That makes it interesting in a baseball configuration, because they play in the outfield, and the wings are also really far away.

Basically the key to baseball stadium shows is to get GA tickets, show up at 4pm, and park yourself around 15th row on the floor :)

Speaking of angle on the floor...I just did a road trip to see silversun pickups where most of the venue was GA floor with some rear seating.

What's unusual was the floor was on a decline making it easier to see the band but making air guitar MUCH more challenging..

• Options
    helplessdancerhelplessdancer Posts: 5,262
    Bad.
    we were under the overhang at wrigley just once. never again.
  • Options
    rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,351
    Who cares. Keep playing
    I would prefer they play an arena, but I’ll take what I can get. Also considering I live pretty close to Fenway, it could be a lot worse. 
    I'm in agreement here. Obviously an arena experience beats a stadium one but it does make it less stressful to get tickets when more seats are available.

Counterpoint: Stadium shows usually equals more travel (due to fewer shows) and those hotel rooms can get pretty expensive. At least quit the "night off" approach?
  • Options
    rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,351
    Who cares. Keep playing
    mcgruff10 said:
    But will you go to a baseball stadium show?
    I went to Fenway in 2016 and wrigley in 2018, both shows were amazing but I doubt I d do another one again, Too big and impersonal. Plus the whole weather factors plays a huge role.  I absolutely loved Chicago but I would have been pissed if the show was canceled due to the weather.  
    Arena shows are where it’s at.  
    Aah. Yes. The weather. I was fortunate in Seattle last summer (two beautiful nights!) but I would have been REALLY bummed out if Mother Nature had canceled one of the shows!