Options

Apollo 11

Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
Apollo 11
https://apolloinrealtime.org/11/?fbclid=IwAR3UDgx38xxOrR1Clmp3SVPnKOSZeNjqmrq3TtseBSNrBeNqu6ACjbK6B3o

One of mankind's greatest achievements...whether you agree with space exploration or not.
Give Peas A Chance…

Comments

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,763
    I remember that tragic day.  I was in my room listening to my Jimi Hendrix records and occasionally stuck my head out the door long enough to see my mother in complete rapture while glued to the TV set. It bothered me that (as I saw it) humans were embarking on a mission to deface the moon, so I went back to my records and tried to forget about it.   I still cringe when I think about those footprints, that flag (any flag), the defaced surface of our glorious  and sacred moon.  What utter arrogance to do what we did.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    brianlux said:
    I remember that tragic day.  I was in my room listening to my Jimi Hendrix records and occasionally stuck my head out the door long enough to see my mother in complete rapture while glued to the TV set. It bothered me that (as I saw it) humans were embarking on a mission to deface the moon, so I went back to my records and tried to forget about it.   I still cringe when I think about those footprints, that flag (any flag), the defaced surface of our glorious  and sacred moon.  What utter arrogance to do what we did.
    You and I feel he same way about space exploration.  Too many problems need fixing on earth...yet we waste endless billions on space...

I still think this was a great day for humans in the sense that the moon landing demonstrated that if we really want to do something, we can.

So maybe there is still a sliver of hope to make this planet more liveable again.  
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    brianlux said:
    You and I feel he same way about space exploration.  Too many problems need fixing on earth...yet we waste endless billions on space...

I still think this was a great day for humans in the sense that the moon landing demonstrated that if we really want to do something, we can.

So maybe there is still a sliver of hope to make this planet more liveable again.  
    True, including that fact that these black women finally got their due:

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    Great movie about them too:

• Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,112
    edited July 2019
    brianlux said:

Because white male Kevin Costner was it in. AM I RIGHT FELLOWS!?

/s
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    brianlux said:

Because white male Kevin Costner was it in. AM I RIGHT FELLOWS!?

/s
    Oh yeah, I suppose it would have been more interesting if that part had been played by a blind epileptic Asian defector from Nepal.  

Jesus, man.  It's a true story in which Costner played the part of a white man.

Besides which, the real stars where the historic black women figures played by some fine actors, especially Octavia Spenser.  I so dig her.  She was great in this, fantastic in "The Gifted" and also most excellent in "The Help".

Post edited by brianlux on

• Options
    brianlux said:

I will be sure to check that out...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    brianlux said:

Cool!

• Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,918
    edited July 2019
    brianlux said:

It's an awesome movie.  I show it to my 8th graders every year; it goes great with social studies, math and the science curriculum.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,662
    I watched buried footage from the A11 training and mission that Discovery showed last night.  Found it pretty cool

I understand your position, Brian, but I do not share it.  I find space exploration to be admirable and not arrogant.  

Too bad we couldn't put the fat, orange, blob of a President info the next missle we send up, without any training of course.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options

Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    brianlux said:

It's an awesome movie.  I show it to my 8th graders every year; it goes great with social studies, math and the science curriculum.  
    Nice!

• Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    I think it's a hoax. 
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    I think it's a hoax. 
    Totally. 

No cheese as proof?  Not gonna buy it!

• Options
    I think it's a hoax. 
    You can read government conspiracy theories shot on a soundstage as bedtime stories to your kids...lol
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,918
    I think it's a hoax. 
    How many thousands of people were involved with the Apollo landing? If it was a hoax don’t you think at least one person would have said something by now?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    After watching some of the insane shit they did, basically signing up for something that had a much higher chance for death or disfigurement then success, helps me understand why a 80 year old Buzz is willing to throw down fisticuffs with a 27 year old unemployed dipshit who tells him it was all fake. 
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,662
    I do not understand people saying it was fake. 
  • Options
    Why have we not been back to the moon?
    That's why I believe it's a hoax.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    There are many reasons not to go back.  I am just assuming that once they established that they could indeed go to the moon and no else was going, why bother?  At that point they clearly were winning the space race.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    To do further exploration?
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,907
    https://historylists.org/events/list-of-6-manned-moon-landings.html

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    To do further exploration?
    I think they’ve established that there is not much up there...and space is wasteful spending
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options

• Options

• Options
    I don't think that is a good enough reason to call it out as a hoax.  Is the space station a hoax?  The pictures we have back from the Mars rover, are those fake?
    Silly, to me.
    I also believe the earth is round.
    I do not believe in Santa Claus, Bigfoot, God, or the Easter Bunny.

• Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    This might blow your mind but there were six successful moon landings and many more failed attempts.  
  • Options

• Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    I think it's a hoax. 
    How many thousands of people were involved with the Apollo landing? If it was a hoax don’t you think at least one person would have said something by now?
    An excellent way to end a recession:  create fake jobs!
    Jason P said:
    This might blow your mind but there were six successful moon landings and many more failed attempts.  
    A great way to create a recession:  hire inept people to do fake jobs.