Online Petitions - Merit Case Study

Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
I've always railed that online petitions that can be “signed” while you are pooping and playing Candy Crush are worthless yet the media constantly references them to give their articles merit. Well now there is a chance to see what percentage of people are serious when they sign them ... the Area 51 takeover!

So far over 500,000 have said they will be there to storm Area 51 in September with another million stating they are interested.  If even 1% show up that will be 5000 people.  My money says less then 500 actually make the trip. 

If it less then 1% then I say online petitions are worthless and should no longer be cited by journalists.  Maybe I should start an online petition to see who agrees with me ...

Comments

• josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    I agree 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Agreed
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • OffSheGoes35OffSheGoes35 Posts: 3,487
    Are you trying to say that people don't do their best thinking while on the toilet???

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    I'm not aware of "one click activism" ever creating any useful change but I sometimes do it anyway if I feel strongly enough about an issue.  But I sure as heck don't follow it up thinking, "Man, I sure hope my vote counts!"  I think mostly it's done to appease people fears and biases.  A better way to express one's concerns is to make calls and write letters to representatives.  The best thing to do is live in accordance with one's beliefs.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.