Options

Proposed Solution to 10c Ticketing, I wanted to get your thoughts.

2»

Comments

• Options
    Ticketmaster? Really? Have you bought tix through them lately? I just did and it was a huge mess across the country for the tour. Their server went down for hours, sales botched, fans furious, presale fraud. The entire system needs an overhaul IMO, not just 10C and not just TM. So many people are getting on the internet at one time to buy tix and there doesn't seem to be a server out there these days to handle it. Yeah, it sucks that the process gets screwed up. Where are the tech savvy folks who can create a superpower server to solve the problem? Going to TM would be worse on so many levels and the tix would still be screwed up! Who here can make a big ole hunkin server that will work everytime? That's the idea of the century.
    Nothing divine dies. All good is eternally reproductive. The beauty of nature reforms itself in the mind, and not for barren contemplation, but for new creation. ~ Nature, Emerson
  • Options
    squidsquid Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere Posts: 85

I didn't try to buy tickets yesterday so I don't have any first hand experience with what happened. However, I will say that going back to purchasing tickets by postal mail is not the way to go.

Ten Club needs to embrace technology. Online ticketing is definitely the way to go. I think Ten Club just needs to come up with a creative way of dealing with demand (both in terms of tickets and server capacity).

There are so many fan clubs out there with online ticketing. Ten Club should take a look at what they are doing. It might be a good idea for Ten Club to work with a third party like Ticketmaster (gasp).

What I think may work well would be if every Ten Club member received a personalized code to purchase tickets through Ticketmaster per tour/leg. Seniority likely could not be accounted for. Every show would have 2 days worth of Ten Club presale. Day 1 would be for people who pick that show as their first choice. Day 2 would be for anyone else (members) to buy tickets. Members would be allowed to use their code on Day 1 only once per tour/leg, but the code could be used an unlimited amount of times on Day 2. All shows would have a 2 ticket limit, and sales would be subject to availability.

I think you are correct, this is a technology issue. The number of people logging into the system is too great for the capacity of the server. Ideally the application server should be load balanced amongst multiple servers to accommodate the high throughput. Also, tuning the database to accommodate the high number of transactions will need to be looked at.
    But I am sure the 10c staff are looking at this
  • Options
    teskeinc wrote:
    when the tix are extremely limited like these shows just have a lottery.

agreed!

i didn't even try for tix, but absolutely...for limited shows, i think it's an excellent idea! in a way, much more *fair*.....everyone who wants a ticket TRULY has an *equal shot*...not dependent on internet provider, server speed/issues, etc.

however, outside of limited shows, i still personally believe there could be a better system in place, to open up more to many...not leave the BEST to a very small minority of fans, ALWAYS...for ALL shows. it just don't seem fair. ;) seniority or not, while i agree in rewarding long-term fan club members.....not an *always* thing imo, especially in regards to tickets. i think all pearl jam fans should have the chance of enjoying what few too many have experienced the past couple tours, and next to impossible to get to experience in the US anyway, w/o an excellent 10c #, or friend with such a #...it just should not be that limited, but just my little ole opinion.

*actually, now that i think a sec...lottery might be a great idea for ALL shows, b/c hell, the # of 10c tix allotted for shows nowadays *IS* so much less, i think at most 10% of the venue capacity is all that is allowable nowadays? for big shows in big cities.....a lottery would make sense as well! again, would be a bit more *fair*.....rather than at the mercy of fickle technology.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    all shows should be 10c only.if there are extra tickets after the 10c get all of theirs, then ticketmaster would get the rest and sell to public.if none were avil. then ticketmaster would get no tickets.then all the good tickets would be at will call for 10c and no tickets would be scalped.
  • Options
    covered in blisscovered in bliss chi-caw-go Posts: 1,329
    play 2 nights in each city and make one of the shows NON seniority seating.