Options

A little positivity

pearljammr78pearljammr78 Posts: 1,613
Pearl Jam has opened me up to so many bands that I would have never listened to. It’s the covers they do. I am in no way a fan of the Police, but Pearl Jam’s version of Driven to Tears, I absolutely love. I love that this band can write so many amazing songs but also pull out covers that they make all their own. I know some people don’t enjoy when they play covers but I absolutely love it. And it makes me examine the original artist after the fact. The Suggestion tag from 92-93 shows got me into Fugazi ( who i was lucky enough to catch live ). I for one say bring on the covers. Shit, I’ll take a covers album from Pearl Jam any day. What covers do you love? The only one I don’t is Last Kiss, but they can’t all be zingers. Lol. 
Peace,Love and Pearl Jam.
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,680
    Missoula, 9/30/12  CCR's "Fortunate Son".  EXCELLENT!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Great cover too. I love it. 
  • Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,908
    edited July 2019
    They got me on to Stereolab when they tagged The Noise of Carpet onto Daughter during the 96 tour. I went out and bought Emperor Tomato Ketchup when I saw the MTV news broadcast of their Bridge School show. I'm seeing "the Groop" for the first and second time this weekend. I cannot wait. 

Great thread idea. Though it is a bit odd the poster who has brought a bunch of negativity today decides to pursue a little positivity.

Post edited by Tim Simmons on
  • Options
    Yen to the yang. 
  • Options
    @Tim Simmons have a great time at the shows!
  • Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,908

Thanks! I will. Can’t wait!
  • Options
    tschavtschav Posts: 2,762
    Early in my experiences seeing them live they got me hooked on The Who (Baba, later Love Reign), CCR (Fortunate Son), and with some of EV's latest covers I appreciate Pink Floyd a little more than I thought I would (Comfortably Numb). 

I think the random cover is worth pulling in if the band is down with it, especially when it's a tribute (Tom Petty, Andy, Cornell).
  • Options
    RW8297RW8297 Posts: 1,581
    Sonic Reducer, Masters of War, Know Your Rights, Leaving Here, Fuckin' Up, I've Got a Feeling, Little Wing,..
  • Options
    chitownp76chitownp76 Posts: 1,435
    Aint Talkin Bout Love -Van Halen
    2014: Moline, IL
    2015: EV Solo (Metro Chicago)
    2016: Philadelphia PA 1, Philadelphia PA 2, New York City NY- MSG 1, EV Solo (Metro Chicago), Boston MA Fenway 1, Wrigley 1, Wrigley 2
    2017: EV Ohana Fest (Dana Point, CA), EV/Pete Townshend Quadrophenia Rosemont, IL
    2018: Seattle WA 1, Seattle WA 2, Missoula MT, Wrigley 1, Wrigley 2, Boston MA Fenway 1, Boston MA Fenway 2
    2019: EV Tempe, AZ
    2020: PPD
    2022: EV & Earthlings Chicago 1 & 2, Phoenix AZ, Camden NJ, Nashville TN, St. Louis MO
    2023: EV Tempe, AZ, St Paul, MN 2, Chicago 1 & 2
    2024: Noblesville, IN, Wrigley 1, Wrigley 2
  • Options
    helplessdancerhelplessdancer Posts: 5,262
    edited July 2019
    i am a patriot. holy shit is that little steven cd ever amazing.
  • Options
    JammalamboJammalambo Posts: 1,321
    Bruce Springsteen. Yeah, the Boss himself.
    I have to admit I never really liked him before... found him pretty boring, except for maybe a couple of songs. But Ed "forced" me to listen to him. Ten years ago Eddie played three songs from Nebraska (Open all night, Atlantic City and State Trooper) during his 2009 solo tour. That made me check out that album. Shortly after, I became a fan. Never thought it would happen.
  • Options
    Nebraska is my favorite Bruuuuuuuuuuce album. Eddie’s version of City of Ruins is killer. Seeing Bruce and the E street band live is what showed me why he is called the boss. 
  • Options
    Gimme some Truth. Great original version and great cover by the boys. 
  • Options
    I should add that my wife and i’s first dance was to Harvest Moon- covered by Pearl Jam and the great Sleater-Kinney. 

Side note, she walked down the aisle to Parachutes. 
  • Options
    wiscojamwiscojam Appleton Posts: 295
    All though I've known these artists, Eddie and the band got me to dig much deeper into:

James Taylor - "Millworker" is probably my favorite JT song all due to Eddie's cover

Cat Stevens - "don't be shy"

Mark Seymour - "Throw our arms around me"

Sleater-Kinney

• Options
    As it’s blasting in my ear. 

Kick out the Jams. 
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,529
    Cat Stevens - “trouble”

outstanding.
  • Options
    jimjam1982jimjam1982 AZ Posts: 1,188
    Sitting on the dock of the bay. It's so old I cant even find the bootleg anymore. They nailed it though.

I had it, and lost it from the Napster days. I wanna say Memphis mid 90s going off memory.
  • Options
    PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,774
    I'm a huge Who fan, so those and PT covers, while enjoyable, did not "enlighten me."  Masters of War (Dylan) and 25 Minutes to go (Cash) brought me to my knees.  I don't know who wrote the lyrics to these songs, just passing on how Ed identified them.  But those covers are emotionally overwhelming.