BOB DYLAN and NEIL YOUNG playing together!

Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,919
edited July 2019 in Other Music
In Dublin. Just saying. 

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"

Comments

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,661
    Judging from what I've read around here recently, I'm guessing there are at least a couple of people around here who will hate the idea.  I think it's fantastic.  I don't pay the outrageous sums of money to see shows any more, but that would be one I would seriously consider.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,919
    brianlux said:
    Judging from what I've read around here recently, I'm guessing there are at least a couple of people around here who will hate the idea.  I think it's fantastic.  I don't pay the outrageous sums of money to see shows any more, but that would be one I would seriously consider.
    My friend who dissed my suggestion to go to Dublin is freaking out now. That's funny to witness.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    brianlux said:
    My friend who dissed my suggestion to go to Dublin is freaking out now. That's funny to witness.
    Are you getting to see Bob and Neil?  If so, please do a little write-up on it for us!  :smiley:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• RenfieldRenfield NYC NY Posts: 1,054
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    Are you getting to see Bob and Neil?  If so, please do a little write-up on it for us!  :smiley:
    Have you read the reviews from Hyde Park? Here’s one: https://www.google.com/amp/s/variety.com/2019/music/news/bob-dylan-neil-young-london-hyde-park-1203266867/amp/
    They played together! So 😎and a Johnny Cash song😎😎
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,265
    Nothing quite like a portrait video of a landscape screen...
    It would have been cool to see Neil do that song. Still can't stand Dylan's voice though
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • This made me so happy when I'm crying...thank you so much for sharing..only thing that could top this for me is if Eddie was singing along too...know he is there in Spiritus Santos....
  • goldrush said:
    It would have been cool to see Neil do that song. Still can't stand Dylan's voice though
    Not sure about you or others when they haven't been able to hear or appreciate anything of Dylans voice...makes me wonder if what people have listened to is just the parodies or the distillation that has been capitalized on... give modern times a listen...melodious and lyrically brilliant as ever...
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,265
    goldrush said:
    Not sure about you or others when they haven't been able to hear or appreciate anything of Dylans voice...makes me wonder if what people have listened to is just the parodies or the distillation that has been capitalized on... give modern times a listen...melodious and lyrically brilliant as ever...
    I used to like Dylan, and I still have a lot of his albums, but I have always said that I usually prefer cover versions of his songs. There's no doubting his lyrics or his songwriting, he's certainly 'up there' - but I really don't like his voice. I've yet to see or hear a live recording that does anything to change my mind on that.

Admittedly the last record of his I really listened to was probably Love and Theft, but I do have Modern Times around here somewhere. Just my 2c.

And I do realise there's a kind of irony about this comment being on a Neil Young video. I appreciate that his voice is certainly an acquired taste too!
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
    Renfield said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    Have you read the reviews from Hyde Park? Here’s one: https://www.google.com/amp/s/variety.com/2019/music/news/bob-dylan-neil-young-london-hyde-park-1203266867/amp/
    No, I hadn't.  Thanks for posting it.

I can see why fans would be disappointed that the two of them didn't do a song together but that fact that they showed up- that they're still doing it- says a lot about their commitment to music.  It's like when I saw Dizzy Gillespie when he was well into his sixties and had lived some mighty hard years.  No, he didn't sound like he did in the 1950's when he was charging through hot numbers with Bird or on the verge of the new jazz with Trane, but what an honor it was to get to see the man sit in for a few numbers.  The musicians that love what they do the most keep on going, even on days when it's hard to get out of bed (I know what a few of those are like). 

Major kudos to Bob and Neil.

goldrush said:
    goldrush said:
    I used to like Dylan, and I still have a lot of his albums, but I have always said that I usually prefer cover versions of his songs. There's no doubting his lyrics or his songwriting, he's certainly 'up there' - but I really don't like his voice. I've yet to see or hear a live recording that does anything to change my mind on that.

Admittedly the last record of his I really listened to was probably Love and Theft, but I do have Modern Times around here somewhere. Just my 2c.

And I do realise there's a kind of irony about this comment being on a Neil Young video. I appreciate that his voice is certainly an acquired taste too!
    Do you like Love And Theft? I love it and think he sounds wonderful.
    Did you see Rolling Thunder Revue? I was so engrossed, hanging on every word he sang.  I love the way he sounded in ‘75/‘76. Blood On The Tracks is my number 1 favorite. Desire ‘ain’t’ too shabby either.  But if you’ve never/ever liked his voice, then there’s no winning you over to our side :)
    Renfield said:
    goldrush said:
    goldrush said:

Did you see Rolling Thunder Revue? I was so engrossed, hanging on every word he sang.  I love the way he sounded in ‘75/‘76. Blood On The Tracks is my number 1 favorite. Desire ‘ain’t’ too shabby either.  But if you’ve never/ever liked his voice, then there’s no winning you over to our side :)
    I've know one or two that came around by listening to "Lay, Lady, Lay".  That particular recording kind of rounded out some of Bob's vocal edges.  Another friend years ago really liked some stuff from Infidels like "Neighborhood Bully" and he got into Dylan a bit. 

goldrush, if you don't start liking Bob more, he's going to throw a fit, haha!

brianlux said:
    Renfield said:
    goldrush said:
    goldrush said:

I've know one or two that came around by listening to "Lay, Lady, Lay".  That particular recording kind of rounded out some of Bob's vocal edges.  Another friend years ago really liked some stuff from Infidels like "Neighborhood Bully" and he got into Dylan a bit. 

goldrush, if you don't start liking Bob more, he's going to throw a fit, haha!

Awww,  love this clip, he can be so endearing when he chooses to be.
    I made a mistake by not seeing him last November (he played 5 nights at the Beacon) I thought best to not see him again live if he truly sounded so awful. I should have gone. 
    Girl from the North Country Musical is coming to Broadway next year- I plan on seeing that

• JPPJ84JPPJ84 Hamburg, Germany Posts: 3,435
    I saw Bob Dylan two weeks ago with my parents. I only knew the big hits whereas my parents have known and loved his music for decades. I can honestly say we found the concert so bad we didn’t know wether to just shake or heads in disbelief or laugh about it. You could hardly recognize any of the songs. I accept the man is 78 years old but if you charge 97 Euro you should be able to at least half decently sing a flipping melody. There was no atmosphere in the arena at all so we were quite surprised people wanted an encore. Droves of people left though, including us. The review in the local paper next day was very positive... so yeah, I guess Dylan really is only for the diehards 
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,961
    goldrush said:
    Saw Dylan 6 years ago and his voice is shot.

That is why I wouldn't bother with this.  If his voice cleaned up then I would have a change of heart.
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,835
    JPPJ84 said:
    I saw Bob Dylan two weeks ago with my parents. I only knew the big hits whereas my parents have known and loved his music for decades. I can honestly say we found the concert so bad we didn’t know wether to just shake or heads in disbelief or laugh about it. You could hardly recognize any of the songs. I accept the man is 78 years old but if you charge 97 Euro you should be able to at least half decently sing a flipping melody. There was no atmosphere in the arena at all so we were quite surprised people wanted an encore. Droves of people left though, including us. The review in the local paper next day was very positive... so yeah, I guess Dylan really is only for the diehards 
    Lots of people walked out in 1965 when Dylan went electric.
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,835
    goldrush said:
    Saw Dylan 6 years ago and his voice is shot.

That is why I wouldn't bother with this.  If his voice cleaned up then I would have a change of heart.
    His voice has been shot for a while. It's not cleaning up.
    He chooses a setlist that he can play with his limited range. Having said that, I thought he sounded pretty good last night. I haven't seen him live since '98, and I was pleasantly surprised after hearing a lot of negatives. At the end of the day, it's Dylan. And there will come a time when we will miss him, and long to hear him live...shot voice and all.
    His voice has been shot for a while. It's not cleaning up.
    He chooses a setlist that he can play with his limited range. Having said that, I thought he sounded pretty good last night. I haven't seen him live since '98, and I was pleasantly surprised after hearing a lot of negatives. At the end of the day, it's Dylan. And there will come a time when we will miss him, and long to hear him live...shot voice and all.
    That does it. I’ve been vacillating all day...I will see him live again!
    edited July 2019
    If someone goes to see ANYONE play music who is 78 years old and has made the kind of impact on music, culture and thinking the way Bob Dylan has and you have high expectations beyond getting a chance to see a legend you are... I won't say it, but come on people, really?  And dissing Bob like he's some kind of piece of crap?  Wow.  Brazen.  That's really messed up.  And I'm trying, really trying to not be too nasty here.

brianlux said:
    If someone goes to see ANYONE play music who is 78 years old and has made the kind of impact on music, culture and thinking the way Bob Dylan has and you have high expectations beyond getting a chance to see a legend you are... I won't say it, but come on people, really?  And dissing Bob like he's some kind of piece of crap?  Wow.  Brazen.  That's really messed up.  And I'm trying, really trying to not be too nasty here.
    “You talkin' to me?”
    I wouldn’t dare diss Bob, even if his voice has gone bad. He’s an outstanding musician and there is no other lyricist as brilliant as him.
    I’ve only been to 6 shows and that’s not nearly enough, and that saddens me. 
    brianlux said:
    Thing is, I didn’t have high expectations, not at all. And I still love his songs. It’s fair to say though that his live concert wasn’t for me.
    Renfield said:
    brianlux said:
    “You talkin' to me?”
    I wouldn’t dare diss Bob, even if his voice has gone bad. He’s an outstanding musician and there is no other lyricist as brilliant as him.
    I’ve only been to 6 shows and that’s not nearly enough, and that saddens me. 
    Oh, heck no, Renfield!  I was reading some earlier posts that kind of got to me, not yours!  Sorry about the mix up!

JPPJ84 said:
    brianlux said:
    Thing is, I didn’t have high expectations, not at all. And I still love his songs. It’s fair to say though that his live concert wasn’t for me.
    Fair enough, JPPJ. 

JPPJ84 said:
    brianlux said:
    Give it 2-3 more tries. You will get it. I promise. I did on try number 3.
    JPPJ84 said:
    brianlux said:
    Nah I’m good! I‘d rather spend my money on PJ ;-)
    JPPJ84 said:
    JPPJ84 said:
    brianlux said:
    You got to sort of, kind of, in a way hear Things have changed live. PJ can't give you that.
    JPPJ84 said:
    JPPJ84 said:
    brianlux said:
    Live (for free) ;)
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wts1nD1t5Zc