Options

The father of the Ford Mustang...Lee Iacocca: Auto Industry Legend Dead at 94

Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739

Comments

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,533
    He had a hell of a name, that's for sure. Who doesn't love saying it?
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    He saved Chrysler.

He is the man behind the minivan and k car ... all major reason Chrysler survived.  I live 30 minutes from Chryslers last minivan plant...

I also read that he was responsible for the modern SUV.  I will check in to that.

Of course, he was the man behind the Ford Pinto.

Me being surrounded b the auto industry realize what a great man he was.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,709
    He wrote what for me was a surprsing ly good book- definitely a book for our time:

R.I. P Lee Iacocca
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,629
    He saved Chrysler.

He is the man behind the minivan and k car ... all major reason Chrysler survived.  I live 30 minutes from Chryslers last minivan plant...

I also read that he was responsible for the modern SUV.  I will check in to that.

Funny, you're in Windsor, home of the 351W.  I grew up 10 minutes from the Cleveland Ford engine plant, home of the 351C.  They were both legendary motors that you could stroke out and actually get that fuckers to breathe with some bigger injectors/carbs, cams, etc.  I did a fair amount of work on the 302 in my youth, but I would have loved to have had a 351.  
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    One of the few left who appreciated the all-encompassing beauty of muscle cars.  My husband and I are happy to carry on that fine tradition.
  • Options
    hedonist said:
    One of the few left who appreciated the all-encompassing beauty of muscle cars.  My husband and I are happy to carry on that fine tradition.
    I love working on muscle cars.  They're so easy and so much room to move.  Honestly though, I don't love driving them.  The transmissions are just so clunky compared to today's vehicles.  They are simply not that comfortable.  Absolutely gorgeous though, especially 68-71 Mustangs.  
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    hedonist said:
    I love working on muscle cars.  They're so easy and so much room to move.  Honestly though, I don't love driving them.  The transmissions are just so clunky compared to today's vehicles.  They are simply not that comfortable.  Absolutely gorgeous though, especially 68-71 Mustangs.  
    My husband would love you (for the working on them part, not the dislike of driving them!) - his dream car:

But he somehow makes do with this ;)

• Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,756
    MOPAR or Nocar......
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,709
    mrussel1 said:
    hedonist said:
    These days I think I'd rather chew on hot nails than work on cars.  But back in the early to mid seventies I had a '65 Chevy Malibu two door- not exactly a muscle car as it only had a 283 small block V-8, but at around 110 MPH the electric fuel pump couldn't keep up with the motor (thank you state of Nevada for no speed limit on highways back then) and that was kind of cool, lurching at that speed. 

Even back then, working on my car wasn't my #1 hobby, but it was easy.  Like you say, lots of room.  You could climb in under the hood and practically have a picnic.  Tune up?  So easy with a few simple tools.  I even replaced rear wheel seals once-- only when I pulled the rear axle, all of the differential gears fell into a heap in the diff. oil pan.  That was a hoot.  I did somehow manage to put that confusing puzzle back together with the assistance of a repair manual diagram as guide. 

That was a great car but it got ruined sitting all winter in a damp garage in Western New York.  I went to get it out of storage and it was a mildew and mold farm.  I cut my loses and headed for home here out west.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    mrussel1 said:
    He saved Chrysler.

Funny, you're in Windsor, home of the 351W.  I grew up 10 minutes from the Cleveland Ford engine plant, home of the 351C.  They were both legendary motors that you could stroke out and actually get that fuckers to breathe with some bigger injectors/carbs, cams, etc.  I did a fair amount of work on the 302 in my youth, but I would have loved to have had a 351.  
    Yes, I'm just outside Windsor.  Those were some great engines they were being built.  Windsor auto industry is a shadow of its former self.  I believe all that is left from the Big 3 in Windsor are the Chrysler Minivan Plant and I believe Ford has to plants left...GM is gone completely.
    There might be more Big 3 in Windsor that I'm not aware of...but there is not much here...the minivan plant is eliminating the 3rd in October. Of course, we have parts plants supply the van plant and Ford. The Van will be gone in 10 years.  People are buying trucks and SUV's.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    hedonist said:
    mrussel1 said:
    hedonist said:
    My husband would love you (for the working on them part, not the dislike of driving them!) - his dream car:

Nice looking rides, both of them.  I guess your husband is a GM guy.  I like GM's too, have a Yukon now.  I think they're better quality than Ford these days.  But.... I always thought the Ford motors breathed a little better, with a little less work than 350s.  I never got to really experience the big blocks like 427 and 454.  If he likes that Firebird, then he's probably a fan of the 6.6 400 big block, the last of the generation.  It's amazing that a motor that big produced less than 300 hp.  My brother and I co-owned a 79 TA (Smokey and the Bandit style) for a few years in the late 80's.  
    What kind of Camaro is that?  Blackout rims are the best. 
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    MOPAR or Nocar......
    Ha, nice.  I've never been around Mopar's at all.  Are you really a fan, or just like the saying?
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    MOPAR or Nocar......
    Ha, nice.  I've never been around Mopar's at all.  Are you really a fan, or just like the saying?
    lifelong. Since my brother bought his 70 challenger rt as a second owner back in 82? original owner didnt feel the stock 383 was powerful enough so he drove it to detroit and had a 440 put in. ended up blowing the motor somehow in germany when he was stationed there from 83 to 85.

my first was a 73 Charger 318... Currently drive a Ram 1500. 6 cyl but it rides so damn smooth and still has some gitty up.
    Post edited by mickeyrat on
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    MOPAR or Nocar......
    lifelong. Since my brother bought his 70 challenger rt as a second owner back in 82? original owner didnt feel the stock 383 was powerful enough so he drove it to detroit and had a 440 put in. ended up blowing the motor somehow in germany when he was stationed there from 83 to 85.

my first was a 73 Charger 318... Currently drive a Ram 1500. 6 cyl but it rides so damn smooth and still has some gitty up.
    MOPAR people are committed.  I feel like they are on a different parallel than the Ford/Chevy crowd. I really like the new Chargers/Challengers and I'm impressed with how much bhp they are producing, the times they are running in such an enormous vehicle.  

Sadly, today, I'm a BMW M guy.  I have an 02 E46 M3 that is the closest thing I've ever had to riding a sport bike.  While it only produces 343 (in a naturally aspirated straight 6), it just wants to rev and it's easily the best handling car I've ever owned.  This includes an 87 fox body Saleen that I had in the 90's.  Problem is that there's very little I can do to it outside maintenance and basic mechanical work.  It's just too specialized.  
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    for me, fords and anything gm is way too common.

euro sports/touring  cars are the grownups hotrods....
    Post edited by mickeyrat on

• Options
    mrussel1 said:
    hedonist said:
    mrussel1 said:
    hedonist said:

Nice looking rides, both of them.  I guess your husband is a GM guy.  I like GM's too, have a Yukon now.  I think they're better quality than Ford these days.  But.... I always thought the Ford motors breathed a little better, with a little less work than 350s.  I never got to really experience the big blocks like 427 and 454.  If he likes that Firebird, then he's probably a fan of the 6.6 400 big block, the last of the generation.  It's amazing that a motor that big produced less than 300 hp.  My brother and I co-owned a 79 TA (Smokey and the Bandit style) for a few years in the late 80's.  
    What kind of Camaro is that?  Blackout rims are the best. 
    It's a 2010 SS.  The newer ones look nothing like it; they lost those beautiful hips and squished it all down.

Yes on the Europeans...the closest we get is while playing Gran Turismo.  Some of those are beyond beautiful, fast as a motherfucker, and handle like a dream.