Options

Same Song Title, Different Band/Artist: "Angel”

Glorified KCGlorified KC KCMO Native Posts: 2,502
Happy Friday!  This week's song title is "Angel."  I've found several good versions of this song and tried to narrow it down.

Jimi Hendrix - Released on the album "The Cry of Love" in 1971
Aerosmith - Released as a single off the album "Permanent Vacation" in 1988
Shaggy - Featuring Rayvon, released as a single in 2000
Jack Johnson - Released on the album "Sleep Through the Static" in 2008
Depeche Mode - Released on the album "Delta Machine" in 2013

If I'm not including your favorite, please feel free to bring it up! 
I wish I was a sacrifice, but somehow still lived on.

Same Song Title, Different Band/Artist: "Angel” 18 votes

Jimi Hendrix
44%
hedonistcutzNo CoderDewieCoxbrianluxHobbesBlack,red,yellowGlorified KC 8 votes
Aerosmith
16%
DC29940eeriepadaveOffSheGoes35 3 votes
Shaggy
0%
Jack Johnson
11%
pjhawksPap 2 votes
Depeche Mode
5%
pjl44 1 vote
Other
22%
dankindF Me In The BrainrummySmallestOceans 4 votes

Comments

• Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    Jimi Hendrix
    I was on the fence about including Sarah McLachlan's version, but now I'm wishing I had put it down as an option.
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    Other
    PJ

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,731
    Jimi Hendrix
    Jimi, Angel, one of my favorite Hendrix songs.  And not just because it's Jimi (although that could be reason enough), but also because it's such a fine tribute to his mother and for me personally, it's one of those songs that is hugely important in place and time.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,203
    Jack Johnson
    i went with Jack Johnson from your list but would probably vote Sarah MacLachan's version if listed.
  • Options
    Jimi Hendrix
    pjhawks said:
    i went with Jack Johnson from your list but would probably vote Sarah MacLachan's version if listed.
    I regret leaving off Sarah.
  • Options
    Jimi Hendrix
    pjhawks said:
    I'm not sure, but I think you can add it by editing your original post.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    Jimi Hendrix
    brianlux said:
    pjhawks said:
    I can edit the description, but not the poll choices.
  • Options
    Jimi Hendrix
    brianlux said:
    pjhawks said:
    I can edit the description, but not the poll choices.
    Oh bummer!

• Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,891
    Aerosmith
    Aersomith was the first one that popped into my mind
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,891
    Aerosmith
    could have added Dave Matthews Band and a few others

Dave Matthews Band

Stabbing Westward

Mondo Kozmo

bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Jimi Hendrix
    Gimme Jimi.

Back when I first lived alone and started painting and adding colors to the walls and whatnot, his music kept me great company, this song among them.

(the buzz didn't hurt either)
  • Options
    rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,353
    Other
    I don't think I can ever vote against a Pearl Jam option. Well, maybe with Supersonic (Oasis).
  • Options
    PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,277
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • Options
    Jimi Hendrix
    I’m trying to decide whether I should include more choices.  So far I’ve been trying to keep the choices more mainstream.  If I had, say, 10 different choices, would that be too much?  
  • Options
    OffSheGoes35OffSheGoes35 Posts: 3,487
    edited June 2019
    Aerosmith
    I’m trying to decide whether I should include more choices.  So far I’ve been trying to keep the choices more mainstream.  If I had, say, 10 different choices, would that be too much?  
    It is hard to please everyone with the poll options, so I would do 9 choices, if possible, and then always have an "other" option. Eeriepadave will always think of extra songs, he's like the rain man of songs, so don't feel bad. ;)
    Post edited by OffSheGoes35 on
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    Other
    You gotta go what you gotta do. Whatever the case, I like these threads.

Much like "Dreams" there certainly are a lot of songs of songs that include the word "angel" in it... 
    Angel Eyes... If God Will Send His Angels... Angel Child... Angel of the Morning...She Talks to Angels...and don't get me started on the Christmas carols!
  • Options
    Other
    could have added Dave Matthews Band and a few others

Dave Matthews Band

Stabbing Westward

Mondo Kozmo

Madonna, too.
  • Options
    Aerosmith
    I love "Angel" by Aerosmith, even though it pretty much sent them in an entirely new direction...a direction with too many love songs. I loved them a little bit more when their idea of a love song was "One Way Street".
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    Jimi Hendrix
    @OffSheGoes35 That's what I'll do for next week and just bring up a lot of choices.  I think in the end there will probably be one or two that win the day.  I really enjoy that other versions are brought to light by others.  I'm all for hearing new stuff.
  • Options
    Aerosmith
    @OffSheGoes35 That's what I'll do for next week and just bring up a lot of choices.  I think in the end there will probably be one or two that win the day.  I really enjoy that other versions are brought to light by others.  I'm all for hearing new stuff.
    I enjoy the other versions as well. And I would also like to add that you have the right kind of attitude to run these polls, not everyone can swing it. You have to be fluid and easygoing, because this can be a tough crowd. 
  • Options
    Jimi Hendrix
    I enjoy the other versions as well. And I would also like to add that you have the right kind of attitude to run these polls, not everyone can swing it. You have to be fluid and easygoing, because this can be a tough crowd. 
    I think music is very personal, next expressive way of showing who you are.  My intention isn't so much to debate which song is best, it's to give those the opportunity to share their favorite.  Especially if it's a version that many of us hadn't thought about.  I love sharing music.  It's a phenomenal way to meet new people and not feel so alone in this world.
  • Options
    Aerosmith
    We definitely need more sharing and less debating, if you ask me. That may just be because I suck at debating, but I am wholeheartedly with you on that one!
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    Other
    Nailed it @OffSheGoes35
    Lol, jk.

I like these as well, they are fun.  Nobody gets upset and acts like an asshat.  

Yet.
  • Options
    Jimi Hendrix
    For example, when I put out the poll for "One" I had voted for the Three Dog Night version, not so much because I thought it was the "best." My mom was/is a Three Dog Night fan growing up and I heard that song quite a bit, and I connected to it.  If I were to debate that it was better than other options, e.g. Metallica or U2, I don't think I could have done that. 

I'm glad you guys are having fun with this.  There are several more to come!
  • Options
    Aerosmith
    Ha! My theory is that while I went to kindergarten everybody else on the board went straight to Harvard Law Elementary School. Did you go there F Me?
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,021
    Add an S and you have the winner:

https://youtu.be/luwAMFcc2f8
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    Jimi Hendrix
    For example, when I put out the poll for "One" I had voted for the Three Dog Night version, not so much because I thought it was the "best." My mom was/is a Three Dog Night fan growing up and I heard that song quite a bit, and I connected to it.  If I were to debate that it was better than other options, e.g. Metallica or U2, I don't think I could have done that. 

I'm glad you guys are having fun with this.  There are several more to come!
    Great!  :smile:

• Options
    Other
    Ha! My theory is that while I went to kindergarten everybody else on the board went straight to Harvard Law Elementary School. Did you go there F Me?
    My parents paid $500k for my admission to University of Southern California Pre-School.
  • Options
    Other
    Add an S and you have the winner:

https://youtu.be/luwAMFcc2f8
    That was indeed a pretty big hit, wasn't it? Hard to believe it's been over two DECADES since its release.