Tampa 2016 Show

hey everyone, next Live On 4 Legs episode won’t be dipping too far into the past as we’ll touch upon the Tampa show from 3 years ago. Lots of cool moments from this show including a very rare In The Moonlight appearance, my favorite way to play Love Boat Captain with the extended jam intro and some love to the local hockey team sporting the same name as their latest album release.

if you were at this show and have any good stories or memories from it, let us know what you think below or shoot us an email at liveon4legspodcast@gmail.com. We’re also doing a contest this month where if you send in (email please and thanks) a show you want to hear us cover, it’ll be entered in a random drawing to get chosen to be covered in June! And you’ll get a chance to join the show to talk about it! What’s better than talking Pearl Jam with other massive fans?!?
Hi, I host a Pearl Jam Podcast. We go back to some of the classic shows in their history and break down the entire setlist front to back. From historic perspective, to performances, to setlist construction, to fan stories. We do our best to capture the magic that is their live act and help you relive those memories, or if you weren't there, maybe turn you on to a show you've never heard before.

Live On 4 Legs can be found on Apple Podcast, Spotify and any other major podcast platform. But please support our website and check out the episodes archived there. Oh, and the Concertpedia as well (for you Five Horizons and Two Feet Thick fans, we've picked up where they've left off)

http://liveon4legs.com

Comments

• Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,163
    Anytime there's a sport reference at a Pearl Jam show an angel loses its wings.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,958
    In the Moonlight is a killer song. 
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• SmallestOceansSmallestOceans Posts: 13,542
    edited June 2019
    Haha. Maybe so maybe not.

This show remains pretty clear in my memory from all the 2016 shows I saw. After partying pretty hard in Miami at the previous show, I needed some time to recover so was just chilling in Clearwater Beach for a couple days. Everybody had high expectations for this show, and so did I. I wanted to make sure I took this show in with a clear head.

I ended up arriving later at the preparty, had a beer, and met an awesome couple from Texas (forget their names/terrible with names) that made my day. Looking back, yeah it turned out to be a hot show in a hot location. Had a nice reserved seat not too far back on the floor. Didn’t have to worry about waiting for GA or any of that bs. It was nice to arrive right at show time for a change. IMO it was the best Florida show from 2016, with Jacksonville not too far behind (the whole Dimi Ghost thing was special).

The first set was one of my favorite sets that i’ve seen the band play. The energy was just there. They came out swinging and never let up. Played maybe one slow song. Great flow and escalation. Great balance. Jabs, hooks, uppercuts that ended fittingly with Blood. Nice early run with Love Boat Captain (first time seeing it live and with extended intro)>Low Light (always welcome)>Red Mosquito (always a treat)>Hard to Imagine. Hard to imagine they played Hard to Imagine in the 9 spot. First time seeing that gem.

But that’s why it’s generally better to see more shows (if you can) on years when they’re not promoting an album, because the setlists are much more unpredictable. Songs like Hard to Imagine, Long Road, Release were not being played mid set in 2013. You weren’t getting deep cuts like In the Moonlight and Education mid set. You weren’t getting full album shows in 2013. In the Moonlight is killer indeed^. :plus_one:

With that being said all the lightning bolt material still felt fresh and was kicking ass that night. Getaway, My Father’s Son, Pendulum opened the first encore which i’m not sure had happened before. Pendulum is aging realllly well. Probably my favorite song they’ve released in a long time. Saw Off He Goes for the first time. Come Back. Only 5 songs from Ten were played, so the Ten overkill factor was not present as it sometimes is later in the show. All 5 songs were evenly spaced out adding to the balance. No Black for a change, the show never get too emotional. It was just a fun show that never got too serious.

Life Wasted and Sonic Reducer always rock it out later in the show. 

And let us not forget Little Wing capping things off with McCready’s flying V. That was unforgetable and they to need to cover more Jimi. I want to see McCready shred this one...it’d be right in his wheelhouse...
    https://youtu.be/n9g6ngaWNAE

https://youtu.be/NdHHsoW6mMg

Post edited by SmallestOceans on
    Worcester1 13, Worcester2 13, Hartford 13, San Diego 13, Los Angeles1 13, Los Angeles2 13
    Trieste 14, Vienna 14, Gdynia 14, Leeds 14, Milton Keynes 14, Denver 14
    Central Park 15
    Fort Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jacksonville 16, Greenville 16, Hampton 16, Columbia 16, Lexington 16, Philly1 16, Philly2 16, NYC1 16, NYC2 16, Quebec City 16, Ottawa 16, Toronto1 16, Toronto2 16, Fenway1 16, Fenway2 16, Wrigley1 16, Wrigley2 16

Sept. 8,1998:  During the show Ed announces that Mark McGwire just broke the season homerun record and then proceeds to reenact it using a guitar as a bat and a ping pong ball.  It was fun to watch and informative as no one had smart phones to know what happened.  
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

on2legs said:
    Sept. 8,1998:  During the show Ed announces that Mark McGwire just broke the season homerun record and then proceeds to reenact it using a guitar as a bat and a ping pong ball.  It was fun to watch and informative as no one had smart phones to know what happened.  
    And Tinkerbells life was forever ruined.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • IndifferenceIndifference Posts: 2,679
      This was my 100th show - sad I didn't bring a sign to indicate that and demand a tambo ;)

SHOW COUNT: (157) 1990's=3, 2000's=53, 2010/20's=97, US=116, CAN=15, Europe=20 ,New Zealand=2, Australia=2
    Mexico=1, Colombia=1 

Upcoming:   Ohana x2  Aucklandx2, Gold Coast, Melbournex2

• my_wavemy_wave Posts: 346
    Ed smashing his guitar after betterman/save it for later was badass!!!
    st. pete '94
    west palm beach '98
    tampa '00
    tampa '03
    tampa '08
    brooklyn '13
    austin '14
    austin '14
    tampa '16

ed - clearwater '12
    ed - clearwater '12
    on2legs said:
    I think you’re confusing angels and fairies. 

on2legs said:
    on2legs said:
    Yup. Both are losing wings though.

https://youtu.be/luwAMFcc2f8

• rbhesterrbhester Posts: 212
    Ed was super pissed that the crowd was so dull. Pretty sure that's why he smashed that SG. Best Little Wing they've done that night. I had a great time, but Jacksonville was a better show IMHO.

on2legs said:
    on2legs said:

I wouldn’t worry too much about it.  I’m sure if Pearl Jam makes it out your way Ed will include some ice fishing or curling remarks to make you guys feel at home. 

on2legs said:
    on2legs said:
    on2legs said:

I wouldn’t worry too much about it.  I’m sure if Pearl Jam makes it out your way Ed will include some ice fishing or curling remarks to make you guys feel at home. 
    Is that what you people call "a dig"?
    on2legs said:
    on2legs said:
    on2legs said:

No... it’s common sense.  People here love American sports so we have no issue with the band referencing sports.  Likewise.... when the band tours near you I’m sure most people would find a local sport reference endearing and appreciate it. 

• tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 40,132
    The solos on Porch kept getting better and better and that night was no exception.  I had tix for all the Florida shows and the third night was the best of them so far.

I mentioned after McCready's solo that it was the best one I've heard yet and everyone around me in earshot that heard me had made a point to agree with me.  We were all floored at how good his playing was that night.  The band as a whole were super tight.

Lowlight into Red Mosquito was a treat.

The setlists for this tour were fantastic.
    edited June 2019
    on2legs said:
    on2legs said:
    on2legs said:
    on2legs said:

No... it’s common sense.  People here love American sports so we have no issue with the band referencing sports.  Likewise.... when the band tours near you I’m sure most people would find a local sport reference endearing and appreciate it. 
    The choices of sports adds to the "dig" thing. You know soccer is the biggest sport over here.

Summa kardemumma: angels and fairies are being forced to live handicapped.

Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,398
    on2legs said:
    That was amazing!  The whole crowd went ballistic, man what a run those three shows were.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    on2legs said:
    on2legs said:
    on2legs said:
    on2legs said:

The choices of sports adds to the "dig" thing. You know soccer is the biggest sport over here.

Summa kardemumma: angels and fairies are being forced to live handicapped.

I’m personally fascinated by curling during the Winter Olympics.  =)

• hihobibohihobibo Posts: 1,086
    rbhester said:
    Ed was super pissed that the crowd was so dull. Pretty sure that's why he smashed that SG. Best Little Wing they've done that night. I had a great time, but Jacksonville was a better show IMHO.

I disagree with the crowd being dull, for the whole show. I can get where that might be one thought, since a lot of the songs played that night weren't the "hits" that people in the seats would know. But I think there was just frustration about the band screwing up a few times. You can hear it on the earlier songs in the setlist, I think Matt drops his sticks during one song, and I heard a few other things that would make the guys a bit frustrated that things were off that night. 
    mcgruff10 said:
    on2legs said:
    That was amazing!  The whole crowd went ballistic, man what a run those three shows were.
    Indeed!  Had tickets to all three shows and loved every minute of it!

hihobibo said:
    rbhester said:

I disagree with the crowd being dull, for the whole show. I can get where that might be one thought, since a lot of the songs played that night weren't the "hits" that people in the seats would know. But I think there was just frustration about the band screwing up a few times. You can hear it on the earlier songs in the setlist, I think Matt drops his sticks during one song, and I heard a few other things that would make the guys a bit frustrated that things were off that night. 
    Here I thought that they played tight and you think they were off...
  • my_wavemy_wave Posts: 346
    edited June 2019
    hihobibo said:
    rbhester said:

I thought the crowd was fucking awesome! I think ed smashed the guitar out of passion... if he was pissed about anything maybe it was the fact that very few people in general admission were losing their minds and going fucking nuts, for the most part from my memory people were just standing there looking bored while people in the seats were jumping up and down going crazy, i just kept thinking to myself these must be all the flippers... but the crowd was loud and you can hear it on the boot, the show was badass!
    Post edited by my_wave on
    st. pete '94
    west palm beach '98
    tampa '00
    tampa '03
    tampa '08
    brooklyn '13
    austin '14
    austin '14
    tampa '16

ed - clearwater '12
    ed - clearwater '12
    my_wave said:
    hihobibo said:
    rbhester said:

I thought the crowd was fucking awesome! I think ed smashed the guitar out of passion... if he was pissed about anything maybe it was the fact that very few people in general admission were losing their minds and going fucking nuts, for the most part from my memory people were just standing there looking bored while people in the seats were jumping up and down going crazy, i just kept thinking to myself these must be all the flippers... but the crowd was loud and you can hear it on the boot, the show was badass!
    My section was very loud!!!  Lower bowl.
    I wasn’t there but... The boot sounded great.  

• Mike D88Mike D88 Posts: 723
    rbhester said:

Not sure if it was the crowd but Ed was definitely pissed all night. Mind Your Manners and Life Wasted sound genuinely angry.
    i-Brzk3Rdjpg
    2008 Tampa - 2013 Buffalo - 2016 Tampa - 2016 Fenway II
    Audioslave 2005 MSG
    Mike D88 said:
    rbhester said:

Not sure if it was the crowd but Ed was definitely pissed all night. Mind Your Manners and Life Wasted sound genuinely angry.
    I like Angry Ed.  We don’t get enough of that these days.  

• rbhesterrbhester Posts: 212
    I got the "are you not entertained?!?!" feeling from Ed after he threw his arms in the air after smashing the SG. I was on Stone's side and lots of folks seemed asleep around me and across the way that I could see. Reaction after songs seemed a bit quiter than usual. Just what I picked up.

• mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 29,404
    rbhester said:

That wasn't really my recollection.  In the beginning of the song, the guitar seems to go out of tune, so then after he did the windmill at the end, I thought he just went full out Who because he was pissed at the guitar.  He did give the Wtf arms thing at the end though.  I didn't notice the crowd to be lame, but when you're in 10C, it usually doesn't feel that way.  Starts at 2 hours 11 minutes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bxZwOpIccc
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 29,404
    hihobibo said:
    rbhester said:

Here I thought that they played tight and you think they were off...
    They were fucking great that night.  FLL was just okay, Miami was better.  Tampa was excellent.  Although in an interview later, Mike said he didn't feel like they did a great show until Hampton.  That was also kick ass.  
  • Sobelberg8Sobelberg8 Posts: 971
    Speaking of sports, on my first listen to this I immediately thought his dedication to Come Back was for Gordie Howe because I knew he died around that time, but it wasn't for another two months. Does anyone know who the dedication was for? I'm a hockey guy, so I'll know who everyone is, legend or current guy
    Hi, I host a Pearl Jam Podcast. We go back to some of the classic shows in their history and break down the entire setlist front to back. From historic perspective, to performances, to setlist construction, to fan stories. We do our best to capture the magic that is their live act and help you relive those memories, or if you weren't there, maybe turn you on to a show you've never heard before.

Live On 4 Legs can be found on Apple Podcast, Spotify and any other major podcast platform. But please support our website and check out the episodes archived there. Oh, and the Concertpedia as well (for you Five Horizons and Two Feet Thick fans, we've picked up where they've left off)

http://liveon4legs.com
  • myoung321myoung321 Posts: 2,855
    Tampa 2016 hmmm  - A few images I snapped at the show/

"The heart and mind are the true lens of the camera." - Yusuf Karsh