Our Little Charity

jamofpearlsjamofpearls Florence, AL Posts: 347
A couple of years ago, after the passing of my brother, my wife and I started a memorial Kayak float, called Jobre Float. (his name was John Oubre Henderson, my little sister couldn't pronounce that, and could only say "Jobre")
We raffled off a Kayak at the end and was able to spend about a hundred dollars or so on some local families in need.
The next year, we made about $800 and was able to start buying some more toys, food and jackets.
The following year, we decided to expand the day, and call it JobreFest.  We had the memorial float that day, and three bands played that night.  
We were able to spend quite a bit more.
Then we went to Seattle for the Home Shows and got really really inspired from the community involvement!  
I came back with a drive to build this thing even more.  I filed for us to become official, and have the name John Oubre 4 The Holidays. We've had a few more events, like Hilarity For Charity and Back to the Brewery!
So we've split the two events into two different days and now have EIGHT performers playing two different stages!
My goal is to make enough money to work with a local charity group to feed the local homeless and those in need a thanksgiving meal this year.
Things are looking up for our little local charity!
JohnOubre4TheHolidays.org for more!

98-Birmingham, 00-Nashville, 03-Nashville, 12-Atlanta, 14-Memphis, 16-New Orleans, 18-Amsterdam, Night 1 & 2, 18-Seattle Night 2, 21-New Jersey, 22-Imola, 22-Nashville, 22-Louisville
Ed Solo: 17-Louisville
Tagged:

Comments

• jacquelyncajacquelynca Yay Area CA Posts: 372
    Awesome nice work!  What an amazing way to honor your brother <3
    IG and twitter - @jacquelynincali

1994 - Bridge School Benefit, Shoreline Mountain View CA
    *** 1995 - 2015 High School, College, Broke, Having Kids***
    2016 - Temple of the Dog, Bill Graham Civic Center Auditorium, San Francisco CA
    2017 - Eddie Vedder, Bourbon and Beyond, Louisville KY
    2018 - The Home Shows, Show 2, Seattle WA
    2019 - Eddie Vedder, Ohana Fest, Dana Point CA
    2020- Oakland Nights 1 and 2
    2020 - Ohana Fest
    2021 - Ohana Fest
    2022 - Oakland 1 and 2

"Watch out for music. It should come with a health warning. It can be dangerous. It can make you feel so alive, so connected to the people around you, and connected to what you really are inside. And it can make you think that the world should, and could, be a much better place. And just occasionally, it can make you very, very happy." -Peter Gabriel