State College 2003

hey everyone, State College is going to be the next Live On 4 Legs episode we’ll be releasing. Another extremely popular show from this era that people hold in high regard. If you attended this show and would like to share any stories, memories or thoughts from your experience, we’d love to hear from you. Let us know what you think and we’ll share your story on the show.

thanks for the support, hope you’re all enjoying the show. If you have a show you’d like us to cover, we’re always taking requests. Don’t be shy, this is your show more than it’s ours because it’s your memories that we’re reliving.
Hi, I host a Pearl Jam Podcast. We go back to some of the classic shows in their history and break down the entire setlist front to back. From historic perspective, to performances, to setlist construction, to fan stories. We do our best to capture the magic that is their live act and help you relive those memories, or if you weren't there, maybe turn you on to a show you've never heard before.

Live On 4 Legs can be found on Apple Podcast, Spotify and any other major podcast platform. But please support our website and check out the episodes archived there. Oh, and the Concertpedia as well (for you Five Horizons and Two Feet Thick fans, we've picked up where they've left off)

http://liveon4legs.com

Comments

• eboweddieeboweddie Posts: 914
    Love that show
     The way they butchered satans bed was gas. 

i wish i wish i wish i wish, i guess it never stops
  • kramer73kramer73 Posts: 2,594
    Vault worthy
  • Lost In OhioLost In Ohio Posts: 6,748
    That YL is one of my all-time top five.
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • PSUS2HPSUS2H USA Posts: 2,049
    kramer73 said:
    Vault worthy
    Truly, they were really on that night, and If I recall correctly its one of their longest shows ever.  
    Pittsburgh, PA September 28, 2005 || Washington, DC June 22, 2008 || Barstow, VA May 13, 2010 || Seattle, WA  August 10, 2018 || Dana Point, CA September 29, 2018 (EV) || Dana Point, CA September 28, 2019 (EV) || Dana Point, CA September 25, 2021 (EV) || Dana Point, CA October 1, 2021 || Dana Point, CA October 2, 2021 
  • PB11041PB11041 Earth Posts: 2,758
    Spoiler alert this show is not vault worthy.  Wasn't even the best show of the week. But it was fun as hell, with one of the best encores in encore 3.
    His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

PB11041 said:
    Spoiler alert this show is not vault worthy.  Wasn't even the best show of the week. But it was fun as hell, with one of the best encores in encore 3.
    What was the best show of the week in your opinion?  Its a great tour, I'm always pulled towards State College, but if there is another I should check out I'd love to. 
    Pittsburgh, PA September 28, 2005 || Washington, DC June 22, 2008 || Barstow, VA May 13, 2010 || Seattle, WA  August 10, 2018 || Dana Point, CA September 29, 2018 (EV) || Dana Point, CA September 28, 2019 (EV) || Dana Point, CA September 25, 2021 (EV) || Dana Point, CA October 1, 2021 || Dana Point, CA October 2, 2021 
  • 100 Pacer100 Pacer Toronto, ON Posts: 8,449
    PSUS2H said:
    PB11041 said:
    What was the best show of the week in your opinion?  Its a great tour, I'm always pulled towards State College, but if there is another I should check out I'd love to. 
    Buffalo the night prior was stellar. 
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,712
    PB11041 said:
    Spoiler alert: No show that has an official bootleg is vault-worthy.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • CopperTomCopperTom Posts: 2,989
    PB11041 said:
    Agreed.  Vault releases aren't just about vinyl.
  • Sobelberg8Sobelberg8 Posts: 924
    PB11041 said:
    I second that. I’d like to see some of the Vote For Change shows get vaulted, Toledo would be great.
    Hi, I host a Pearl Jam Podcast. We go back to some of the classic shows in their history and break down the entire setlist front to back. From historic perspective, to performances, to setlist construction, to fan stories. We do our best to capture the magic that is their live act and help you relive those memories, or if you weren't there, maybe turn you on to a show you've never heard before.

Live On 4 Legs can be found on Apple Podcast, Spotify and any other major podcast platform. But please support our website and check out the episodes archived there. Oh, and the Concertpedia as well (for you Five Horizons and Two Feet Thick fans, we've picked up where they've left off)

I still vote for Pittsburgh 2005 as a vault, THEY OPENED FOR THE STONES!!! Gahhh
  • rival9500rival9500 Posts: 530
    I was there.  My ten club seats were disappointing, but still an amazing show.  I really loved the 2 improvs.  That 3rd encore though.  When Ed said “If you guys want to stick around, we’re willing to make this the longest Pearl Jam show that ever has been played. Everyone went fucking crazy.  Great time being a touring fan on that tour.
    1998: Pitt
    2000: Pitt
    2003: Pitt, State College, Columbus,DC, Hershey
    2004: Reading, Toledo, DC
    2005: Pitt
    2006: Cleve, Camden 1+2, DC, Pitt, Cinci
    2008: Camden 1+2, DC
    2009: Philly 3
    2010: Columbus
    2012: Philly
    2013: Pitt, NYC 1+2
  • foodboyfoodboy Posts: 988
    buffalo the night before was stellar. almost as long. they decided to pay the fine and keep playing. never forgot that one. just as when the solo memebers of pearl jam opened for themselves at the molson amphitheatre in 09. 
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,632
    Second best Pennsylvania show ever behind Spectrum 03
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    I remember EV held his wine bottle up at one point and said "We're not leaving til this is empty!"  And during the jam in one of the next songs, he ducked behind a speaker cabinet and poured the remains of the bottle out.  Came back up to the mic and held it upside down to show the crowd.  I don't know how many people caught him getting rid of the evidence, but I thought it was pretty hilarious.  Ed, you still owe us a few swigs' worth of songs for that little trick!!
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171
    I remember EV held his wine bottle up at one point and said "We're not leaving til this is empty!"  And during the jam in one of the next songs, he ducked behind a speaker cabinet and poured the remains of the bottle out.  Came back up to the mic and held it upside down to show the crowd.  I don't know how many people caught him getting rid of the evidence, but I thought it was pretty hilarious.  Ed, you still owe us a few swigs' worth of songs for that little trick!!
    I remember at what point while Ed was talking Stone leaning against a speaker with a look of like 'ok enough let's get out of here'.  the encore songs were so long Crazy Mary and Porch back to back were like a combined 18 minutes or something.  Crazy Mary with Mike and Boom going back and forth was fantastic.  also remember no beer sales in the arena. only show i've ever  been to with no beer sales.
    pjhawks said:
    I remember at what point while Ed was talking Stone leaning against a speaker with a look of like 'ok enough let's get out of here'.  the encore songs were so long Crazy Mary and Porch back to back were like a combined 18 minutes or something.  Crazy Mary with Mike and Boom going back and forth was fantastic.  also remember no beer sales in the arena. only show i've ever  been to with no beer sales.
    College arenas are usually dry during basketball games, even when it's technically not an arena that belongs to a school. I went to a college basketball game at MSG once and they didn't sell any alcohol. I didn't know that rule translated to other events, especially when (this gets mentioned on the episode) school was pretty much out by then and the entire town was shut down on a Saturday night.

• NWOntarioNWOntario Toronto Posts: 823
    The legend of State College is bigger than the show itself, imo. It was awesome - the last 45 minutes was one of the best stretches of any Pearl Jam show I've ever been to - but the show itself wasn't quite as good as Buffalo the night before. I mean...State College was great, don't get me wrong, but the Buffalo 2003 fan in me (I still maintain it's the best concert I've ever been to) wishes it was the better known of the two.
    Minneapolis 1998 | Jones Beach I & II, Montreal, and Toronto 2000 | Buffalo, State College, Toronto, Montreal and Hershey 2003 | Boston I & II 2004 | Thunder Bay, Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa and Toronto 2005 | Toronto I & II 2006 | The Vic and Lollapalooza 2007 | Calgary and Toronto 2009 | PJ20 I & II, Toronto I & II, Ottawa, Calgary and Edmonton 2011 | London, Chicago, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver and Seattle 2013 | Ottawa and Toronto I & II 2016 | Chicago I & II 2018 | Ottawa, Hamilton and Toronto 2022
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,712
    NWOntario said:
    The legend of State College is bigger than the show itself, imo. It was awesome - the last 45 minutes was one of the best stretches of any Pearl Jam show I've ever been to - but the show itself wasn't quite as good as Buffalo the night before. I mean...State College was great, don't get me wrong, but the Buffalo 2003 fan in me (I still maintain it's the best concert I've ever been to) wishes it was the better known of the two.
    Remember that at the time, the State College show was their longest show ever. That kind of elevated the show's legend right off the bat. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
    PSUS2H said:
    PB11041 said:
    Spectrum and Buffalo.  Falo has a better setlist in terms of interesting stuff you don't always get.  Spectrum was off the hook.

I absolutely loved the experience of State College.  There are some fine moments including they sheer insanity that they could pull of an intense 3rd encore after playing for the 5th night in 6 days.  And there are other moments scattered throughout.  State is a great show, everyone should listen to it and enjoy it, but in fairness, it has some pretty big flaws.  But that is why I love pearl jam, they walk the tightrope and if they fall in the net, so be it, they hop back up and give you something.

NWOntario said:
    This is true.

• HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    There are definitely some sloppy moments from State College but the show in its entirety is an experience unlike any other.  It was when I realized Release was a killer song for an opener.  The crowd singing the whooooooaaaaa-oh-oh's during Jeremy was probably the loudest I ever heard a PJ crowd until Wrigley.
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    Prefer Mansfield #3
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    There are definitely some sloppy moments from State College but the show in its entirety is an experience unlike any other.  It was when I realized Release was a killer song for an opener.  The crowd singing the whooooooaaaaa-oh-oh's during Jeremy was probably the loudest I ever heard a PJ crowd until Wrigley.
    It really was a spectacular show. I remember during half full Ed reflected the lights off his guitar into the crowd. Eventually in the upper deck he landed on agroup of people who had a penn state flag, the crowd went nuts!  I thought it was the best show of that leg for me but preferred holmdel better to close the us segment of the tour. Penn state was show four of 11 for me that year. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    mcgruff10 said:
    It really was a spectacular show. I remember during half full Ed reflected the lights off his guitar into the crowd. Eventually in the upper deck he landed on agroup of people who had a penn state flag, the crowd went nuts!  I thought it was the best show of that leg for me but preferred holmdel better to close the us segment of the tour. Penn state was show four of 11 for me that year. 
    Porch during the 3rd encore, he used the mirror this night.  No 1/2 full at this show.  

• mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    PB11041 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Porch during the 3rd encore, he used the mirror this night.  No 1/2 full at this show.  
    You would be right!  I stand corrected.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    Great great show not so much as quality but rather quantity and vibes , I got there a bit late to pick up my tickets it landed me 10 rows back stones side if I could of gotten there early I would of been front row back then tickets were allocated by blocks ! 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
    If you have some time on your hands this weekend, check out the episode: