Colorado "Man"hunt for Columbine Obsessed Woman

tbergstbergs Posts: 9,204
This is just crazy and terrifying. She has the Denver school district on lockdown and nobody knows where she is yet.

Pais is a student at Miami Beach Senior High School, said Daisy Gonzalez-Diego, spokeswoman for Miami-Dade County Public Schools. "We are fully assisting the FBI in their investigation," the spokeswoman said. "The threats appear limited to schools in Colorado." Gonzalez-Diego declined to give more details about Pais.

After the 18-year-old came to Colorado on Monday, she purchased a pump-action shotgun and ammunition and went to the foothills, where she was last seen, Phillips said.
"Her comments, her actions that we have heard about from others tend to cause us great concern that she may pose a threat to a school," he added.

Pais is about 5-foot-5 and was last seen wearing a black T-shirt, camouflage pants and black boots, authorities said. Authorities said they are being especially cautious because Pais' statements don't express a specific plan and were mostly spoken. "She did make statements that were threatening to schools and she did purchase a firearm ... and that's why she's a credible threat," said Patricia Billinger, a spokeswoman with the Colorado Department of Public Safety.

A man who said he is Pais' father told the Miami Herald he lost contact with his daughter Sunday. "I think maybe she's got a mental problem," he told the Herald. "I think she's gonna be OK."

https://www.cnn.com/2019/04/17/us/columbine-threat-search-for-woman/index.html
It's a hopeless situation...

Comments

• CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,790
    Oh good they found her
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,204
    Thought she may take the suicide route. 
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • njnancynjnancy Northern New Jersey Posts: 5,096
    I think it is really disconcerting that there is a subculture of people who have groups where they glorify the Columbine killers.  The fact that social media allows it is a moot point - they have all failed miserably on this type of thing in their quest for money and power.  I just think it is disturbing that someone would do what she did. And the fact that she lands in CO and is able to buy a shotgun is disturbing. 

I remember when Columbine happened - it was shocking and so so sad. That was before it became so common place that  a generation of kids thinks that shooter drills are a normal activity. 

It's the 20th anniversary on Saturday - and I hate that people use Hitler's birthday to do messed up things as it also happens to be my birthday and I know I share it with @PJ_Soul .  It is a shame that Columbine has to continually deal with threats every time there is a shooting or the anniversary comes around.

I don't understand the worship of teen agers that killed so many of their classmates, in such a cold fashion, and then decided it would be cool to end it by killing themselves.  I really find the confluence of gun culture, obsession with violence and the lack of safety in schools to be one of the saddest and most terrifying activities to become commonplace in America. 

I'm glad she was not able to hurt anyone, but I wish someone could have helped her at some point so that this was not her greatest goal in life. It boggles my mind. 
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,661
    "Man hunt" used in looking for a woman?  Doesn't sound right.

Womanhunt? 
    Pursuit of Female? 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,570
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
    brianlux said:
    "Man hunt" used in looking for a woman?  Doesn't sound right.

Womanhunt? 
    Pursuit of Female? 
    Clear and present danger.

Credible threat. 
  • Thirty Bills UnpaidThirty Bills Unpaid Posts: 16,881
    edited April 2019
    Columbine

The book was a captivating read.

Inagree with Nancy: it was jaw dropping at the time. It’s since become somewhat commonplace for the US.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
    We, as a nation, don't focus on how traumatic these shootings are to the survivors. The FCC does not allow pictures of dead or maimed bodies on TV in the US - in many other countries they show the effects of war and terrorism in its truest sense. 

Part of me wants the nation to see just how devastating these weapons are to a human body and what these teen agers have to see in their mind for the rest of their life. Survivor is a touchy word. You have not been killed but you have seen your friends slaughtered and you have spent hours terrified - especially the Columbine students who had no clue what to do and the police response was not what it is today - they waited so long to go into the school. 

I don't want to exploit a dead person either or bring more pain to their family. But I wish there was a way to convey what the actual deaths and injuries look like after a shooting with an AK type weapon. Maybe, maybe it would change some minds about safer gun laws. Probably not. But the country gets to watch the 'exciting' event on breaking news while people are going through hell and dying in horrendous ways and we never see that or the after effects of it. When someone is wounded people don't think much about it, they just 'pray' it's not critical. But the wounded have horrible, deforming, life changing injuries. 

It is unacceptable that our country does not act to keep our children from living, or dying, in these war type scenarios. We are f"king up our kids, for their lives. But guns are more important than our children. It's true and it is unacceptable. But we put kids in cages to never see their parents again so who the hell have we become. 

So sad for these kids and adults who are reliving this event as 20th anniversary approaches. 
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117

for an active shooter training I've had we were shown pretty much all of the video from what happened inside the school...

sick shit happened that day.... those two kids were as calm and relaxed as could be, cracking jokes, taunting students, didn't even crack a sweat

njnancy said:
    We, as a nation, don't focus on how traumatic these shootings are to the survivors. The FCC does not allow pictures of dead or maimed bodies on TV in the US - in many other countries they show the effects of war and terrorism in its truest sense. 

Part of me wants the nation to see just how devastating these weapons are to a human body and what these teen agers have to see in their mind for the rest of their life. Survivor is a touchy word. You have not been killed but you have seen your friends slaughtered and you have spent hours terrified - especially the Columbine students who had no clue what to do and the police response was not what it is today - they waited so long to go into the school. 

I don't want to exploit a dead person either or bring more pain to their family. But I wish there was a way to convey what the actual deaths and injuries look like after a shooting with an AK type weapon. Maybe, maybe it would change some minds about safer gun laws. Probably not. But the country gets to watch the 'exciting' event on breaking news while people are going through hell and dying in horrendous ways and we never see that or the after effects of it. When someone is wounded people don't think much about it, they just 'pray' it's not critical. But the wounded have horrible, deforming, life changing injuries. 

It is unacceptable that our country does not act to keep our children from living, or dying, in these war type scenarios. We are f"king up our kids, for their lives. But guns are more important than our children. It's true and it is unacceptable. But we put kids in cages to never see their parents again so who the hell have we become. 

So sad for these kids and adults who are reliving this event as 20th anniversary approaches. 

True, there is going to be a whole generation raised with PTSD.  Not just from actual school shootings, but from shooting drills.  These drills put kids in a state of stress and shock from the constant fear of impending terror.  
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,919
    Maybe make it harder to impulsbuy a shotgun.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,644
    CM189191 said:
    njnancy said:

True, there is going to be a whole generation raised with PTSD.  Not just from actual school shootings, but from shooting drills.  These drills put kids in a state of stress and shock from the constant fear of impending terror.  
    a friends THREE YEAR OLD recently had an active shooter drill at his preschool.

kids this young are in a sense being indoctrinated to the normalcy of school slaughters....
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,919
    mickeyrat said:
    CM189191 said:
    njnancy said:

kids this young are in a sense being indoctrinated to the normalcy of school slaughters....
    Well. The US is so big and so diverse. What are you Gonna do?

or Whatever it is @PJPower and @my2hands always falls back on. 
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,537
    Maybe make it harder to impulsbuy a shotgun.
    No
    It is every Americans God given right to be able to wake up, go down to their local gunship, by the gun of their choice, and go shoot up a school.

Keep up
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,082
    mickeyrat said:
    CM189191 said:
    njnancy said:

Well to be fair, that is obviously for the preschool staff and a huge liability if they ignored the risk and didn’t do it. Like a fire drill.

hippiemom = goodness
    mickeyrat said:
    CM189191 said:
    njnancy said:

Well to be fair, that is obviously for the preschool staff and a huge liability if they ignored the risk and didn’t do it. Like a fire drill.

this is a gross misconception of liability

school shooting != fire

I work in commercial insurance.  I have clients that are school districts.  I work with specialty lines of coverage specifically for school shootings.  

Schools would never be held liable for not stopping or preventing a school shooting. 

(to be specific: we're about 3rd party shooting, or someone outside the school.  Now if you were to arm school teachers, and then they shot a student, well that's obviously a different story.)
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,644
    mickeyrat said:
    CM189191 said:
    njnancy said:

then staff didnt really need to include any children at all. further, my friend at the least was not informed prior to this drill.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14