Options

Skyscrapers and building are killing many birds each year.

brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,723
edited April 2019 in A Moving Train
This is just sad.  I hope this news gets around and someone comes up with a way to reduce the number of avian deaths.  This has to stop.  Birds are hugely important.  They keep ecosystems in balance.  Birds have been referred to as "the voice of nature".  Their status is a barometer to the health of the planet. 

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Post edited by brianlux on

Comments

• Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    "Skyscrapers are one our most important resources" - Randy Johnson
  • Options

• Options
    there are 639 skyscrapers in the US.  1B dead birds = 1.564M dead birds per skyscraper ... me thinks people would start to notice that many dead birds
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,109
    Was the study called “Yes, birds are really dumb”?
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,798
    edited April 2019
    Post edited by mickeyrat on
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    Fuck birds, this is MY planet 
  • Options
    Well OK, fuck me and the birds then.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    brianlux said:
    You know i was being sarcastic brother lol

Although, i may have eaten 1 million chicken wings and chicken breasts in my lifetime :)
  • Options
    my2hands said:
    brianlux said:

Although, i may have eaten 1 million chicken wings and chicken breasts in my lifetime :)
    Yes, I know.  Yours I laughed at, the others... 

• Options
    Hot sauce + butter + vinegar + blue cheese dipping sauce have killed at least 5 billion birds

I blame the Anchor Bar in Buffalo, murderour fucks lol
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,109
    brianlux said:
    my2hands said:
    brianlux said:

Yes, I know.  Yours I laughed at, the others... 

Really Brian? 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    1000's of birds die flying into windmills...anything erected up in the sky will kill birds.  And is it only American skyscrapers that kill birds?  Making birds in other countries smarter than American birds.  What about planes? Automobiles?  
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    1000's of birds die flying into windmills...anything erected up in the sky will kill birds.  And is it only American skyscrapers that kill birds?  Making birds in other countries smarter than American birds.  What about planes? Automobiles?  
    Yes, sadly that's true also.  And house windows.  There are things that can be done to prevent that- bushes in front of windows, owl stickers in windows, etc. 

What I'm suggesting is looking at solutions to the problem.  I'm not seeing any concern here- so far at least- about the situation.  That's just disappointing to me. 

• Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,827
    Approximately 13,159 birds killed by airplanes in the US in 2014, plus some deer, turtles, and an iguana. That seems manageable. 

https://www.vox.com/2016/1/19/10789816/airplane-animal-kill
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    Approximately 13,159 birds killed by airplanes in the US in 2014, plus some deer, turtles, and an iguana. That seems manageable. 

So, and do have a point other than trolling me.  And as already has been pointed out if it was 100 million birds, we'd know...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    Yes, sadly that's true also.  And house windows.  There are things that can be done to prevent that- bushes in front of windows, owl stickers in windows, etc. 

What I'm suggesting is looking at solutions to the problem.  I'm not seeing any concern here- so far at least- about the situation.  That's just disappointing to me. 
    Remember these skyscrapers are in the city.  City dwellers care far less about the environment than country folk.  
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    They shouldn't be flying into skyscrapers at night, anytime I've spent time in the cities they leave their lights on all night...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,798
    edited April 2019

So, and do have a point other than trolling me.  And as already has been pointed out if it was 100 million birds, we'd know...
    trolling you? take a fucking pill.

you asked about planes. the post answered that specifically. they didn't offer anything about buildings.

nor did you offer any solution.
    Post edited by mickeyrat on
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,827

Seems like you can turn even an interesting little article that answered a question you asked into an argument. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    brianlux said:

Remember these skyscrapers are in the city.  City dwellers care far less about the environment than country folk.  
    That is 100% false

City living is generally FAR greener than suburban/country living 
    Post edited by my2hands on
  • Options
    my2hands said:
    brianlux said:

That is 100% false

Generally speaking, I think this could be quite true.  Considering transportation alone: Cities have mass transit, rural areas not so much.  Rural and suburban dwellers more often drive truck and SUVs, city drivers generally either take mass transit, walk, ride bicycles or drive smaller vehicles.

On the other hand, cities kill more birds, which is the concern.  Wouldn't it be great if some creative person developed a means of keeping birds from crashing into all that glass?!

• Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,520

• Options
    my2hands said:
    brianlux said:

That is 100% false

100%?

The Amish would beg to differ. And others. 
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,014
    brianlux said:

I have to admit I get immediately turned off when I read stats that can no way be near to true. As JasonP said, we'd notice if 1 billion birds were flying into buildings. If his number of skyscrapers was right, that is over 4000 birds, per building per day on average. Even taking the low end of the estimate of 100 million that's still over 400 a day. I think people would notice walking over a wall of dead birds when entering the building. 
    The same article later mentions some studies put the number at 90,000 in NYC. 90,000 in our biggest city seems plausible, but honestly I'm just questioning everything about this article when they lead off with the 1B number.
    So at least for me, thats why you won't see a big concern from this article. But if there is a wy to fix it, we definitely should.
  • Options
    I did a (relatively quick- maybe someone here has done or will do a more in-depth study) search for answers to which is more environmentally friendly- urban or rural living.  Most of the article I ran across touted urban living as being greener, including one by Scientific American. On the other hand, a different article by Scientific American states this: 

"... there are large indirect energy and material demands that are not often accounted for in calculations of urban energy use.An example is all the energy and materials it takes to get gasoline to an urban consumer, whether for a car or bus, (searching for and drilling wells, pumping the oil to a refinery that converts the oil to gasoline, and transporting the gas to a network of gas stations) and, in fact, almost everything from building materials to artificial lighting to clothing to food that is used in a city is produced elsewhere, often at high energy costs."

• Options
    mace1229 said:
    brianlux said:

I have to admit I get immediately turned off when I read stats that can no way be near to true. As JasonP said, we'd notice if 1 billion birds were flying into buildings. If his number of skyscrapers was right, that is over 4000 birds, per building per day on average. Even taking the low end of the estimate of 100 million that's still over 400 a day. I think people would notice walking over a wall of dead birds when entering the building. 
    The same article later mentions some studies put the number at 90,000 in NYC. 90,000 in our biggest city seems plausible, but honestly I'm just questioning everything about this article when they lead off with the 1B number.
    So at least for me, thats why you won't see a big concern from this article. But if there is a wy to fix it, we definitely should.
    One billion may or may not be far from true, I will admit that.  Maybe we can just call it "lots of birds" and talk about the fact that it's true that glass in buildings (be it anything from massive sky scrappers to houses to windshields on cars) kill A LOT OF birds.  Then we could move on to the topic of how birds are an important part of ecosystem's life cycles and see what we can do to reduce the death of birds.  They really are an important part of life. 

• Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,202
    mace1229 said:
    brianlux said:

only sort of on this topic but i've always wondered where birds die. i mean in spring and summer i will see thousands of birds flying around and yet maybe once a year do i ever see a bird dead on the ground.  shouldn't there be a hell of a lot more dead on the ground? i wonder where they die.

i've also wondered if most states have birds, and most birds fly south for the winter, wouldn't the southern states be overrun with birds in the winter? how can southern states handle almost all the countries birds during the cold months? weird things i think about...
  • Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,824
    mace1229 said:
    brianlux said:

The Deep State hires bird-picker-uppers (at inflated government salary, of course) to hang out outside of skyscrapers and bag them.

Yeah, this number seems huge.  I know this happens.  And I know it can be mitigated (not eliminated).  And it should be.  But with a number like that, people will focus on that being incorrect and not worry about what's actually going on.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    pjhawks said:
    mace1229 said:
    brianlux said:

only sort of on this topic but i've always wondered where birds die. i mean in spring and summer i will see thousands of birds flying around and yet maybe once a year do i ever see a bird dead on the ground.  shouldn't there be a hell of a lot more dead on the ground? i wonder where they die.

i've also wondered if most states have birds, and most birds fly south for the winter, wouldn't the southern states be overrun with birds in the winter? how can southern states handle almost all the countries birds during the cold months? weird things i think about...
    I'm no ornithological expert, but I think most birds that migrate go further south, many to central and south America. 

The other thing to note is that there are far fewer birds today than there were even just a few hundred years ago.  The last passenger pigeon was killed on September 1, 1914.  In colonial times, they numbered (no exaggeration here) in the billions.  And that's just one species. So I'm thinking, any place today can handle the number of birds that migrate today.

Post edited by brianlux on

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,543
    brianlux said:
    This is just sad.  I hope this news gets around and someone comes up with a way to reduce the number of avian deaths.  This has to stop.  Birds are hugely important.  They keep ecosystems in balance.  Birds have been referred to as "the voice of nature".  Their status is a barometer to the health of the planet. 

That doesn't sound right. If it said that was worldwide I MIGHT believe it.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata