Options

Interview with Nirvana-manager Danny Goldberg

Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,013
edited April 2019 in The Porch
 Transcribed by me:

And also Eddie Vedder, he had like almost a rivalry with Eddie Vedder?
Yeah. He liked Eddie Vedder personally. This was somebody that he personally did like. But he felt competitive with Pearl Jam and he wanted Nirvana to be number one. No question about it.

When In Utero came out, I think a Pearl Jam album came out shortly thereafter and than it sold better the first week...
Well, there's no question. (During) The Nevermind cycle, Nirvana was bigger than Pearl Jam. By the next album, Pearl Jam commercially in terms of sales became bigger than Nirvana. That's just the reality, it was a bigger record and it was Pearl Jams moment. And Kurt was not crazy about that. He called me once and said "Geez, I've seen three Pearl Jam videos on MTV and our video only once. Is someone mad at us over there? Is there something we should do?". /.../ So he was competitive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5KLhqfBH9s
"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on

Comments

• Options
    SarahSarah Toronto Posts: 736
    Fascinating...
    "Somewhere in between / There and here / I got lost / I got scared..."
  • Options
    PJWGIIIPJWGIII Chicago, IL Posts: 806
    edited April 2019
    Fascinating to see Kurt depicted as a character who thirsted success in this interview. Very uncharacteristic of how Kurt has seemed to be in the past.
    "Red Rover, Red Rover, Mike McCready – Take Over!!" - E.V.

Ten Club "Ambassador" (recap-writer) - DEEP.pearljam.com
    : Chicago 2 (Wrigley Field) 8/20 | 20(20)22: St Louis 9/18 | 2023: Chicago 2 (United Center) 9/7, Indianapolis (Deer Creek) 9/10

EV:
    2018: CURE Benefit Show (Chicago - Navy Pier) 10/15

RIP: Andy, Kurt, Chris
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    PJWGIII said:
    Fascinating to see Kurt depicted as a character who thirsted success in this interview. Very uncharacteristic of how Kurt has seemed to be in the past.
    Courtney Love has said that over and over again, but suddenly, a man says it and people take notice. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    dankind said:
    PJWGIII said:
    Courtney Love has said that over and over again, but suddenly, a man says it and people take notice. 
    Maybe people don't care to look up Courtney Love interviews...
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    cropdustdaircropdustdair Lakewood, CO / Earth Posts: 2,006
    I wouldn't believe one thing that came out of Courtney Love's mouth anyway. She's nothing, but a lying murderer.
  • Options
    I wouldn't believe one thing that came out of Courtney Love's mouth anyway. She's nothing, but a lying murderer.
    Are you 12 years old?

And right at this moment googling ”Stanley kurbrick moonlanding” ?