Options

What is going on with records. RSD is coming

2»

Comments

• Options
    FR181798FR181798 Posts: 2,165
    Bought a copy of the R.E.M RSD album on ebay. Paid probably what my local would have been charging £32 but had to pay just over £10 postage as it's coming from Europe and I'm in the UK. Usually 1 release a year that I'm fine with paying a little extra for. Only 1500 copies in the UK so unlikely that stores here will have extras. 
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,542
    I bought the 2018 Michael Kiwanuka RSD release from my record store in March 2019 for $8CAD! :) I think the person who originally got it on RSD 2018 came back and traded it in later, so it was sold at a used price. RSD is more than just reason to complain after all! ;)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    ND260106ND260106 Posts: 101
    Anyone know if Pearl Jam release is making its way to Australia? Can't find it on RSD AU website anywhere. 
    PJ
    2006 - Melbourne - Nov. 16
    2009 - Melbourne - Nov. 20
    2013 - LA Nov. 24 / Oakland - Nov. 26 / Portland Nov. 29 / Vancouver Dec. 4
    2014 - Melbourne - Jan. 24
    2018 - Boston - Sep. 2 / Boston Sep. 4
    EV
    2011 - Melbourne - Mar. 24
    2014 - Melbourne - Feb. 16 / Melbourne - Feb. 18
    TOTD
    2016 - Seattle - Nov. 21 / Seattle Nov. 22
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,166
    PJ_Soul said:
    I bought the 2018 Michael Kiwanuka RSD release from my record store in March 2019 for $8CAD! :) I think the person who originally got it on RSD 2018 came back and traded it in later, so it was sold at a used price. RSD is more than just reason to complain after all! ;)
    I overheard one record shop owner talking to the owner of the shop I was in.  They were discussing how difficult they find it to order for RSD.    People tend to buy a lot more vinyl on RSD than your average day.  They thumb through them all and buy stuff they might not ordinarily buy.   On the other hand if the order stuff and it doesn't sell on RSD, it sits on the shelf forever.  Its easy to move stuff for bigger 90s bands, but trying to stock some of the lesser known names is a bit of roulette for them.  They don't want to get stuck with the inventory :(

As usual I'm both looking forward to and dreading RSD.  I love all the special releases that come out.  There's a number of them I want to buy.  I dread having to wait around for hours to get them.    I love going to my record store, wandering in and shopping at my own pace.  If you could make RSD like any other day without the lineups and craziness, but with all the special releases.  I'd really enjoy it.

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,542
    edited April 2019
    Zod said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    I overheard one record shop owner talking to the owner of the shop I was in.  They were discussing how difficult they find it to order for RSD.    People tend to buy a lot more vinyl on RSD than your average day.  They thumb through them all and buy stuff they might not ordinarily buy.   On the other hand if the order stuff and it doesn't sell on RSD, it sits on the shelf forever.  Its easy to move stuff for bigger 90s bands, but trying to stock some of the lesser known names is a bit of roulette for them.  They don't want to get stuck with the inventory :(

As usual I'm both looking forward to and dreading RSD.  I love all the special releases that come out.  There's a number of them I want to buy.  I dread having to wait around for hours to get them.    I love going to my record store, wandering in and shopping at my own pace.  If you could make RSD like any other day without the lineups and craziness, but with all the special releases.  I'd really enjoy it.

I honestly never even participate - My bday is April 20th, so there is always something going on for me on or around RSD - I'm always too busy to make it to the record store for it (or too hungover/tired because someone took me out to party the night before, lol!). I guess once or twice I've grabbed something online on RSD, but that really defies the point.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,850
    edited April 2019
    ND260106 said:
    Anyone know if Pearl Jam release is making its way to Australia? Can't find it on RSD AU website anywhere. 
    Here's one. Discrepancy Records in Australia will be selling copies in store & online. https://www.discrepancy-records.com.au/pearl-jam-live-at-easy-street-lp-gatefold-first-ti

Post edited by demetrios on