Options

New Zealand gun lobby backs gun ban (Look at that US...)

Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,944
edited April 2019 in A Moving Train

New Zealand will crack down on firearms ownership this week after the Christchurch mosques massacre that killed 50 people.

In stark contrast to the United States, where even the most minor curbs on gun ownership meet ferocious opposition led by the National Rifle Association, New Zealand gun owners agree action is needed.

"We want to support our government in any changes to prevent a terrorist attack from happening in New Zealand again," said Nicole McKee, secretary of the Council of Licensed Firearm Owners.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2019/04/zealand-gun-lobby-backs-ban-christchurch-mosques-attack-190401040859005.html

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on

Comments

• Options
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=12217785
    Looks like the gangs in NZ will be keeping theirs...
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    Any opportunity to bash America, it's hilarious at this point lol
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    edited April 2019
    PJPOWER said:
    In NZ the gangs hold pressers....lol
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    edited April 2019
    PJPOWER said:
    Hardcore evidently, lol.  And the regular people have nothing to worry about since the gangsta said so!  I wonder if the NZ government will actually crack down on them.
    Post edited by PJPOWER on
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    Hardcore evidently, lol.  And the regular people have nothing to worry about since the gangsta said so!  I wonder if the NZ government will actually crack down on them.
    Don’t bet on it...

Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,835
    my2hands said:
    I think it's a valid point. Americans have become immune to mass shootings bc they happen so often. Nothing ever changes so citizens will needlessly continue to die.
    If it didn't concern human life it would be a joke at this point. It deserves to be bashed.
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,122
    Are they going to be allowed to keep body armor forged in mithril?  
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,230
    my2hands said:
    That's an interesting take. So, by pointing out that another country is doing something about gun violence that the US has not done, is bashing? It almost seems like you understand how ridiculous it is that the US has done nothing so you're getting a little defensive. Maybe take a minute before you take your usual opposition stance to anything on here these days. You've become captain contrarian, just to go against the flow and wave the flag. There are plenty of reasons to point out pathetic inaction (or bashing as you have called it) in this country and gun violence leads the way, deservedly so.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    tbergs said:
    my2hands said:
    That's an interesting take. So, by pointing out that another country is doing something about gun violence that the US has not done, is bashing? It almost seems like you understand how ridiculous it is that the US has done nothing so you're getting a little defensive. Maybe take a minute before you take your usual opposition stance to anything on here these days. You've become captain contrarian, just to go against the flow and wave the flag. There are plenty of reasons to point out pathetic inaction (or bashing as you have called it) in this country and gun violence leads the way, deservedly so.
    It's a comment on the same posters doing nothing but bashing America over and over and over and over.... look at the 2nd post, why link to that thread? This was a thread meant to just poke at America again.... there are other threads this could go into... so i called it out... find a new schtick... 

Why are so many non-americans on this site consumed and obsessed with America and Americans, and feel the need to constantly point out it's flaws? It's fucking old, and i'm going to continue to voice my problem with it. I have no problem with people actually living here doing it, but people that live in other countrues/continents CONSTANTLY talking shit? If we suck so bad,  next time PJ tours, stay home.

It would be different if American posters constantly researched flaws in Sweden & Canada and harped on them incessantly, but guess what, that shit doesnt happen

Some of you are obsessed with America and know more about it than your own shitty country lol

• Options
    My family sucks... but only i can say that... someone else talks shit on my family, we have a problem

It's the same principle 
  • Options
    my2hands said:
    My family sucks... but only i can say that... someone else talks shit on my family, we have a problem

It's the same principle 
    LMFAO...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,844
    my2hands said:

It's the same principle 
    So true!
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    my2hands said:

It's the same principle 
    Even your own country violates that rule a hundred times a day. No one talk about my family, but I'm going to tell your family what they need to do and if they don't I'm sending in the troops or raising fees for you to interact with me on a daily basis.
  • Options
    Who cares if a few Canadians and a Swede want to bring up the hypocrisy that exists in this country. A lot of Americans agree and it's why we continue to push to be better. Let people spread shit, maybe that will help solve Trump's border invasion problem, but that only seems to backfire. 
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,515
    my2hands said:

It's the same principle 
    Now THAT is hilarious!
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,685
    I think S_C makes a good point about the U.S. being hamstrung by the NRA to the point of not being willing to make even moderate, reasonable restrictions to firearms possession.  As a nation, we're immune to gun violence.  I think a lot of people here actually find it thrilling and exciting.  Look at the people bleed and scream and die.  No big deal- it happens every day.  Pass the popcorn, please. 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    You are not hamstrung by the NRA, you are hamstrung by a limped dick system that places lobbying above decency, that the same reason you are held hostage by the insurance industry when it comes to health care.  Politicians on both sides of the aisle will do nothing to change the system, they like their pockets being lined.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    You are not hamstrung by the NRA, you are hamstrung by a limped dick system that places lobbying above decency, that the same reason you are held hostage by the insurance industry when it comes to health care.  Politicians on both sides of the aisle will do nothing to change the system, they like their pockets being lined.
    It's all part of the same thing, but in this case I hold the NRA responsible for the majority of the strangle hold.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,581
    I blame the NRA and “responsible” gun owners for not supporting and voting for what is morally right, you know, pro-life and all.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/01/us/politics/nra-domestic-violence-congress.html
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,532
    my2hands said:
    tbergs said:
    my2hands said:
    It's a comment on the same posters doing nothing but bashing America over and over and over and over.... look at the 2nd post, why link to that thread? This was a thread meant to just poke at America again.... there are other threads this could go into... so i called it out... find a new schtick... 

Why are so many non-americans on this site consumed and obsessed with America and Americans, and feel the need to constantly point out it's flaws? It's fucking old, and i'm going to continue to voice my problem with it. I have no problem with people actually living here doing it, but people that live in other countrues/continents CONSTANTLY talking shit? If we suck so bad,  next time PJ tours, stay home.

It would be different if American posters constantly researched flaws in Sweden & Canada and harped on them incessantly, but guess what, that shit doesnt happen

Some of you are obsessed with America and know more about it than your own shitty country lol

Because America has its hands in all the worlds' business.  I think when it comes to the US interfering in elections the score is US - 2,500;  rest of world - 30
  • Options
    my2hands said:
    tbergs said:
    my2hands said:

Because America has its hands in all the worlds' business.  I think when it comes to the US interfering in elections the score is US - 2,500;  rest of world - 30
    this...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    It's all part of the same thing, but in this case I hold the NRA responsible for the majority of the strangle hold.
    Nothing will change until you quit letting greedy politicians on both sides off the hook.  And how many 1000's die annually from inadequate health care because of greedy politicians on both sides.  Both because your crooked government allow this kind of lobbying.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    my2hands said:
    tbergs said:
    my2hands said:

But, but, but the Russians meddled in our elections.  The US is the perfect "wow is me" country.  
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,937
    brianlux said:
    It's part of the same system, but lawmakers are the system designers, not the NRA. If the NRA ceased to exist, there'd be a sweet little niche for the next group to try to corrupt and make some coin on the side (a corruption vacuum). Alternatively, modifying the system could prevent these realities outright. 
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    benjs said:
    brianlux said:
    It's part of the same system, but lawmakers are the system designers, not the NRA. If the NRA ceased to exist, there'd be a sweet little niche for the next group to try to corrupt and make some coin on the side (a corruption vacuum). Alternatively, modifying the system could prevent these realities outright. 
    All true, Ben.  I suppose the NRA isn't technically responsible for lack of better firearm laws but their influence is HUGE.  I'm also on my monthly rag regarding the NRA as I have to pass the local NRA meeting sign that routinely gets posted on a road near my house.

• Options
    Who are the lawmakers?  Politicians or the NRA?  Quit blaming the NRA when your system allows for them to have this kind of influence.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    I blame the American people
  • Options
    edited April 2019

Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
  • Options
    New Zealand's response does make the US look apathetic. Let's get serious.

I'd agree that there is a lot of US bashing on the MT, but in this particular instance... the comparison makes the US look relatively backwards.
    "My brain's a good brain!"