Options

Europe Requires Speed Limiters For New Cars By 2022

HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
I have no idea why this hasn't been implemented in progressive nations as soon as the technology existed (or just didn't give cars the ability to go that fast in the first place). it is just common sense. 

https://www.cnn.com/2019/03/27/tech/europe-speed-limits-scli/index.html
Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Comments

• Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    I can tell you why you'll never see that over here...$$$...you think the provinces want to give up that cash cow.  Speeding gives the cops all they need to pull people over, and often a speeding ticket leads to other charges, like impaired, people without insurance/licence...

I do not want to give the provinces an excuse to reduce police patrols on the highways.  

But in the end, traffic violations are cash cows for local municipalities...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    Thorns2010Thorns2010 Posts: 2,199
    Volvo, which is owned by China's Geely, said earlier this month that it would its stop cars from going faster than 180 kilometers per hour (112 miles per hour).
    First, that is still pretty damn fast, and secondly, ummmmm back in my youth I drove at least 2 different cars that fast, and yup, they wouldn't go faster than about 110 mph, so uhhh..... way to get on board with 20 plus year old technology Volvo.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,683
    What the hell will happen to the bahn bahn bahn the autobahn?

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,941
    fastest speed limit in Sweden is like 120 km/h so I don't really see the problem... and doesn't Autobahn have a limit of 130 km/h pretty much? So... why have cars going much faster than that...
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,515
    edited March 2019
    I have no idea why this hasn't been implemented in progressive nations as soon as the technology existed (or just didn't give cars the ability to go that fast in the first place). it is just common sense. 

Europe is so much more progressive in terms of transportation (and environment) than North America, it's embarrassing for me as a member of the North American community.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    PJ_Soul said:

Europe is so much more progressive in terms of transportation (and environment) than North America, it's embarrassing for me as a member of the North American community.
    geography has a huge impact on that. there's no 20 minute train I can take from one major city to another. our country is just too damn huge. in terms of bike lanes and local mass transit and walking and not owning a tank to go 2km from your house to 7/11, yeah, I hear ya. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    edited March 2019
    PJ_Soul said:

geography has a huge impact on that. there's no 20 minute train I can take from one major city to another. our country is just too damn huge. in terms of bike lanes and local mass transit and walking and not owning a tank to go 2km from your house to 7/11, yeah, I hear ya. 
    I know what the issues are in terms of geography and am not suggesting NA does all the same things, as that wouldn't make sense obviously. But the lack of progressiveness here is 100% due to the wrong attitude/lack of progressive thinking. That's all. There are of course things that would have to be done differently in N. America because of geography, but nothing particularly good is being done at all just because there is no political will to do it, because our governments and our population tends to have a HUGE problem with foresight.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    So what do you want to be done that will make us seem more progressive in your eyes?  Do you want the government to invest 100's billions in high-speed rail(money that we do not have)?  Because until the federal government gets involved and decides that they want to be partners in Canada's infrastructure nothing will get done...In my opinion, that's what lacking in achieving those goals...a federal government that is a partner in these things...

High-Speed rail nationwide is not happening until the feds get involved...and hell it would be nice if the trans-Canada highway was modernized and brought up to 4 lanes coast to coast...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    The federal government is already a partner in these things actually, FYI. The Feds do sometimes invest portions of what's needed for transit improvements in cities. It just gave metro Vancouver funds for just that. But indeed, many cities are way behind when it comes to transit, due to a lack of planning. And then sometimes they come up with stupid, unsustainable ideas, like building a transit system with a hodge podge of different modes that don't connect with one another, etc etc.
    But yes, of course the goal is high speed rail between cities across the country. But no, of course that isn't done all at once or anything close. Such things take several decades, and even centuries. My point is that nothing at all is even being discussed - nothing to grow upon is even happening. And that is simply because there is no will and no forward thinking about it.The only good way to plan like this is to build for what things will be like 50 years from now, not to try and catch up after the population is already in need. Canada, and the US, are notorious for making that mistake. Instead of good planning it's simply trying to fix problems.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    The federal government is already a partner in these things actually, FYI. The Feds do sometimes invest portions of what's needed for transit improvements in cities. It just gave metro Vancouver funds for just that. But indeed, many cities are way behind when it comes to transit, due to a lack of planning. And then sometimes they come up with stupid, unsustainable ideas, like building a transit system with a hodge podge of different modes that don't connect with one another, etc etc.
    But yes, of course the goal is high speed rail between cities across the country. But no, of course that isn't done all at once or anything close. Such things take several decades, and even centuries. My point is that nothing at all is even being discussed - nothing to grow upon is even happening. And that is simply because there is no will and no forward thinking about it.The only good way to plan like this is to build for what things will be like 50 years from now, not to try and catch up after the population is already in need. Canada, and the US, are notorious for making that mistake. Instead of good planning it's simply trying to fix problems.
    LMFAO at our federal government is reliable partners in anything they undertake.  These ragtag liberals couldn't even legalize pot and make $$$.  And speed limiters do no good if all I have to do is hammer the accelerator to override it...lol...yes real progressive.  It would be overridden by the time I got to first stop.  
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,683
    I guess if the only option we have to increase progress in issues like safety and environment is to enact laws, so be it.  An even better solution of course would be if people would do things differently and better simply because that leads to improvements.

Part of the problem is that there is a conflict between wanting to do what's best (slow down and save fuel) and being seduced to drive at higher speeds because that is how cars are made.  My yuppie libtard Prius is an interesting example. It's aerodynamics are such that at high speeds (especially over 90MPH/ 145 KPH), the vehicle actually hugs the road more and makes the car easier to handle.  I tried this once going west from my area heading toward Sacramento topping out at about 95 MPH/ 153 KPH.  There's no doubt about it- that vehicle performs quite well at very illegal speeds.  Before you get the wrong idea, I did this only once to test it out, alone on an empty road, and heading downhill, allowing gravity to boost the speed as much as the engine and was getting about 80 MPG (about 3 liters per 100 km).
    (On the uphill, I have to poke along to get good gas mileage)

I often see ROATS (ridiculously over-sized American Trucks) flame past me on the up, down or level, getting very low mileage.  Many SUVs and ROATS both are particularly designed to be driven at high speeds and get horrible gas mileage.  And their owners are speed demons.  There is a strong trend toward aggressive, fast, "me-first" driving practices here that are jacking up the carbon emissions, burning up the planet. This is a real problem we have, at least here in America.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.