Options

The Future of the Presidency

OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,823
edited March 2019 in A Moving Train
The idea here is not to name names of who might win future presidential elections.  It's more about what personal assets will be electable.  How future Presidents will conduct themselves. Maybe party, given the electoral college.  Most of this is Trump-based...will he be the standard now?

I think the future of the presidency is a fascinating question.  Trump is kind of the first Twitter President...sure it existed when Obama took office, but grew over time.  Trump was the first one to come in with it.  So I wonder what role Twitter will play.

Some thoughts:
  • I tend to think future presidents will use Twitter to communicate certain things; puff pieces and scheduling mainly.
  • I tend to doubt that future presidents will use Twitter to belittle people, calling them "losers," etc. (I know I said not to name names, but if DJT, Jr. is ever President, he will obviously do this but I don't see it being the norm).
  • Intellectualism will continue to be construed as "elitism" and gut-driven assumptions based on ignorance will be more greatly valued than expertise.  Al Gore (it's OK to bring up past names) was hurt by having a "wonk" image and lost to a guy you'd like to have a beer with.   And I don't think anti-intellectualism was even where it is now in 2000.  People forget Trump has an Ivy League degree, though his persona belies it.  I could see having a non-college-graduate president.
  • We are still a ways from a female president...the first one will have to be a Republican because left-wing women are pretty vilified (though in fairness, I used to think the first minority president would have to be a Republican, too).
  • Similarly, there's no way there will ever be a gay president in our lifetimes...if for no other reason, the "tradition" of the First Lady.  I think we've made great progress in my life, but I think a lot of people that are OK with their gay neighbor and have seen every episode of Will and Grace would shy a way from the role that Nancy Reagan and Jackie O played being played by a gay person.
  • Trump was sort of the result of a perfect storm.  I don't think the narcissism is an integral characteristic as much as it's bad luck that it is a part of what we have.  I do believe that future presidents will not be all about themselves the way Trump is.  That said, and this goes beyond the presidency, I tend to think things will not get better in terms of bi-parasitism.  Party before country is just too ingrained at this point. 
  • One thing about Trump that probably will stick is the lack of emphasis on qualifications.  Qualifications indicate being part of "the establishment."  Business people and young upstarts are going to be the candidates. One could argue this did not start with Trump, but Obama...he beat Hillary in part because he had no baggage.
  • It's pretty much going to be a GOP office.  The Dems have to slaughter the GOP in order to win the EC.  The EC is going nowhere.  The only Dems that ever win are going to have Obama-like qualities (no skeletons, upbeat personality, ability to bring people to the polls).
  • At the risk of repeating two bullets above, the issue of "skeletons in closets" is probably going to hasten the move away from qualifications and experience.  The less we know about someone the less we can criticize.
Again, not "so and so is going to win in 2020" but what is going to happen to the behavior of presidents and the types of people that are elected.  Has Trump changed the office permanently or is this just an one-time fluke?
1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
Post edited by OnWis97 on

Comments

• Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,294
    Hopefully the Baffoon won’t be the one but whoever he/she is they all use Twitter but I doubt they would to communicate policy like this idiot does now , and anyone will be better than a Baffoon ..6 or 8 years from now people won’t be saying I wish the Baffoon was still president ! 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,711
    OnWis97 said:
    The idea here is not to name names of who might win future presidential elections.  It's more about what personal assets will be electable.  How future Presidents will conduct themselves. Maybe party, given the electoral college.  Most of this is Trump-based...will he be the standard now?

I think the future of the presidency is a fascinating question.  Trump is kind of the first Twitter President...sure it existed when Obama took office, but grew over time.  Trump was the first one to come in with it.  So I wonder what role Twitter will play.

Some thoughts:
    • I tend to think future presidents will use Twitter to communicate certain things; puff pieces and scheduling mainly.
    • I tend to doubt that future presidents will use Twitter to belittle people, calling them "losers," etc. (I know I said not to name names, but if DJT, Jr. is ever President, he will obviously do this but I don't see it being the norm).
    • Intellectualism will continue to be construed as "elitism" and gut-driven assumptions based on ignorance will be more greatly valued than expertise.  Al Gore (it's OK to bring up past names) was hurt by having a "wonk" image and lost to a guy you'd like to have a beer with.   And I don't think anti-intellectualism was even where it is not in 2000.  People forget Trump has an Ivy League degree, though his persona belies it.  I could see having a non-college-graduate president.
    • We are still a ways from a female president...the first one will have to be a Republican because left-wing women are pretty vilified (though in fairness, I used to think the first minority president would have to be a Republican, too).
    • Similarly, there's no way there will ever be a gay president in our lifetimes...if for no other reason, the "tradition" of the First Lady.  I think we've made great progress in my life, but I think a lot of people that are OK with their gay neighbor and have seen every episode of Will and Grace, would shy a way from the role that Nancy Reagan and Jackie O played being played by a gay person.
    • Trump was sort of the result of a perfect storm.  I don't think the narcissism is an integral characteristic as much as it's bad luck that it is a part of what we have.  I do believe that future presidents will not be all about themselves the way Trump is.  That said, and this goes beyond the presidency, I tend to think things will not get better in terms of bi-parasitism.  Party before country is just too ingrained at this point. 
    • One thing about Trump that probably will stick is the lack of emphasis on qualifications.  Qualifications indicate being part of "the establishment."  Business people and young upstarts are going to be the candidates. One could argue this did not start with Trump, but Obama...he beat Hillary in part because he had no baggage.
    • It's pretty much going to be a GOP office.  The Dems have to slaughter the GOP in order to win the EC.  The EC is going nowhere.  The only Dems that ever win are going to have Obama-like qualities (no skeletons, upbeat personality, ability to bring people to the polls).
    • At the risk of repeating two bullets above, the issue of "skeletons in closets" is probably going to hasten the move away from qualifications and experience.  The less we know about someone the less we can criticize.
    Again, not "so and so is going to win in 2020" but what is going to happen to the behavior of presidents and the types of people that are elected.  Has Trump changed the office permanently or is this just an one-time fluke?
    Pretty much sounds right if the American public continues to be dumbed down as it has in recent years. 

Two possibilities I see:

WORST CASE SCENARIO:

-More time spent between the sheets with big business, big pharma, big agra business, etc.

-Communication via Tweets utilizing an excessive number of the words such as "like", "ginormous", "gonna", and "swag" and a plethora of acronyms.

-More time on the links than in the oval office.

-Either engaged in religious fervor or base paganism (as opposed to creative paganism), but nothing in between.

-Complete ignorance of the importance of environmental issues, particularly of climate change.

-War mongering.

BEST CASE SCENARIO:

-A return to good oral communication utilizing excellent language skills in an honest and forthright manner.

-Someone willing to go out on a limb to promote economic and social justice.

-Dedication to the duties of the office at the expense of personal pleasures and time off.

-Highly dedicated to setting into motion a rapid scaling back of carbon emissions and doing so as smoothly as possible.

-A strong focus on resolving other environmental issues such as pollution and resource depletion.

-A resolve to work for peace rather than wage war.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    Twitter is the message board of the idiots.

It numbs your brain.  Destroys reasoning and thought.  Thus, it’s very popular. 
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,711
    Jason P said:
    Twitter is the message board of the idiots.

It numbs your brain.  Destroys reasoning and thought.  Thus, it’s very popular. 
    w twitter no need gd engl com sent puct grammer spell fk that
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.