Options

Thank you Dave Abbruzzese

Comments

• Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    PJ has been fortunate to have many awesome drummers. 
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,743
    mfc2006 said:
    This is true.

Funny how people jump down your throat around here if you say anything positive about Dave A.  I'm not a musician so I don't know anything about his drumming techniques or any of that stuff but all I know is that I absolutely love listening to those bootlegs from the early years with Dave A....so much energy and intensity.  
  • Options
    RS65573RS65573 Posts: 2,369
    I loved Dave for the WHAP of that snare.
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,629
    It’s not? I actually thought that kid from Hanson was better. Haha
    I liked the guy from Nirvana...

• Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,007
    DewieCox said:
    Dave A and G are overrated.
    Dave B all the way for me.

Go Team B!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Best drummer from the ‘90s????? He’s not even the second best drummer to play for Pearl Jam. 

Yikes. 
    In your opinion 
  • Options
    KV4053KV4053 Mike's side, crushed up against the stage Posts: 1,455
    mrk2 said:
    He was too busy bashing his annoyingly large collection of cymbals to be counted as a drummer
    This.
    I know I was born and I know that I'll die. The in between is mine.
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,987
    KV4053 said:
    mrk2 said:
    He was too busy bashing his annoyingly large collection of cymbals to be counted as a drummer
    This.
    He plays that drumset like a harp from hell.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    Mike D88Mike D88 Tampa Posts: 722
    I'd love to see what takes on Dave A would look like with the nostalgia removed

speaking of underrated drummers

i-Brzk3Rdjpg
    2008 Tampa - 2013 Buffalo - 2016 Tampa - 2016 Fenway II
    Audioslave 2005 MSG
  • Options
    100 Pacer100 Pacer Toronto, ON Posts: 8,517
    Definitely enjoyed the band’s sound during Dave’s tenure for the raw power, had fun grooving along to Jack, but certainly appreciate the evolution with Matt and his time signature. 
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • Options
    dreamweaverdreamweaver New York Posts: 709
    Matt is their best drummer.
    Meadowlands, MSG 1, MSG 2 - '98
    Jones Beach NY 1 + 3 - '00
    MSG 1 + 2 - '03
    Boston Garden - '04
    Montreal - '05
    Boston Garden 1, Meadowlands 1 + 2 - '06
    Mansfield 1 - '08
    (EV solo) Boston 1 - '08
    Chicago 1 - '09
    MSG -'10
    Brooklyn 1+2 - '13
    Central Park - '15
    MSG - '16
    Fenway - '16
    Wrigley - '16
    (RRHOF) Brooklyn - '17
    Fenway - '18
    MSG - '22
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,296
    nicknyr15 said:
    Hate the way the songs have been sped up with Matt ! 
    Lmao. Another bad point. Do you really think If EV and the rest didn’t want certain songs at that tempo, they wouldn’t say something?i think we all know who’s in charge and it’s certainly not Matt.  Matt can play at any tempo, any time signature anytime. He’s a world class drummer. 
    lol it doesn’t mean I have to like them being played that way , so what your a drummer I’m not questioning Matt prowess as a drummer..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,832
    Dave was the best man for the job in that era. However, I don’t think PJ would have evolved into the band I fell in love with Dave behind the kit.  Don’t forget about Jack, he brought something to the table that inspired them greatly in the studio. 

Also Matt F Cameron is the best overall drummer they’ve had 😬
    thank you for inspiring me to go listen to Jack era PJ. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    edited March 2019
    Mike D88 said:
    I'd love to see what takes on Dave A would look like with the nostalgia removed

speaking of underrated drummers

I don't think people enjoying his drumming on Pinkpop 92 or whatever early show are blinded by nostalgia. 

I do think there is a big chance that the people feeling they have to add the "fucking" between Matt and Cameron though are towing the party line. 
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    riley540riley540 Denver Colorado Posts: 1,128
    As a fan, 

i love Matt. He’s been with them for ever and fits with the band really well. They all have impeccable chemistry. 

Also as a fan, I love how they still do stuff with krusen, irons, ect. I wish they would show some love towards Dave A. There is a lot of tension still and as a fan, I don’t like that kind of tension. 

Its like when David Gilmour is in the same room as Roger Waters. The fans love it! 
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,832
    riley540 said:
    As a fan, 

i love Matt. He’s been with them for ever and fits with the band really well. They all have impeccable chemistry. 

Also as a fan, I love how they still do stuff with krusen, irons, ect. I wish they would show some love towards Dave A. There is a lot of tension still and as a fan, I don’t like that kind of tension. 

Its like when David Gilmour is in the same room as Roger Waters. The fans love it! 
    I think that tension has eased off. they played Angel, and mentioned how Dave wrote it. Then Ed mentioned him at the RRHOF and said how awesome a drummer he is....
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    riley540 said:
    As a fan, 

Right, we don't have to live with the guy in the studio and on the road for months at a time.  If MC make them happier, more comfortable, better able to enjoy their work, then MC every day of the week.  For me, it's about keeping the music alive. 
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,761
    nicknyr15 said:
    Hate the way the songs have been sped up with Matt ! 
    Lmao. Another bad point. Do you really think If EV and the rest didn’t want certain songs at that tempo, they wouldn’t say something?i think we all know who’s in charge and it’s certainly not Matt.  Matt can play at any tempo, any time signature anytime. He’s a world class drummer. 
    lol it doesn’t mean I have to like them being played that way , so what your a drummer I’m not questioning Matt prowess as a drummer..
    My only point is, it’s not up to him therefore he can’t be blamed. 
  • Options
    rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,353
    My two favourite PJ albums are Vs and Vitalogy so I will give thanks to Dave A for those!
  • Options
    ...of course, I prefer the 1995 performances of the Vs and Vitalogy songs so I guess I have to give thanks to Jack for those!
  • Options
    Thank you to Matt C for the last 20 years of PJ and also for Soundgarden!
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,296
    Jack had groves that Matt just doesn’t capture, Matt is fantastic but I just like the way Jack has this tribal feel that Matt just doesn’t..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    iwasatpj20iwasatpj20 Rockford, IL Posts: 3,300
    mfc2006 said:
    This is true.

Funny how people jump down your throat around here if you say anything positive about Dave A.  I'm not a musician so I don't know anything about his drumming techniques or any of that stuff but all I know is that I absolutely love listening to those bootlegs from the early years with Dave A....so much energy and intensity.  
    Dave A was really good during his time as drummer for PJ.  A lot of energy and passion is true
    2000 - Chicago, IL
    2003 - Champaign, IL
    2006 - Chicago, IL 1 & 2
    2007 - Chicago, IL Lollapalooza
    2009 - Chicago, IL 1 & 2
    2010 - St. Louis, MO
    2011 - East Troy, WI 1 & 2 (PJ20 Destination Weekend)
    2012 - Atlanta, GA, Missoula, MT
    2013 - Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field), Dallas, TX, Oklahoma City, OK
    2014 - St. Louis, MO, Tulsa, OK, Moline, IL (No Code, IL), Saint Paul, MN, Milwaukee, WI (Yield, WI)
    2016 - Greenville, SC (Vs, SC), Raleigh, NC, Columbia, SC, Boston, MA (Fenway Park 1), Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field 1 & 2)
    2018 - Seattle, WA (Safeco Field 2), Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field 1 & 2), Boston, MA (Fenway Park 2)
    2020 - Nashville, TN, St. Louis, MO, Oklahoma City, OK, Phoenix, AZ, ??
    2022 - Nashville, TN, St. Louis, MO, Oklahoma City, OK, Phoenix, AZ, Las Vegas, NV
    2023 - St. Paul, MN 2, Fort Worth, TX 2, Austin, TX 1, and Austin, TX 2
    2024 - Portland, OR and Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field 1 & 2)

2012 - Temple of the Dog East Troy, WI (PJ20 Destination Weekend)
    2014 - Soundgarden Tinley Park, IL (with Nine Inch Nails)
    2014 - Alice in Chains Davenport, IA
    2016 - Chris Cornell Solo Madison, WI and Peoria, IL (official hometown show)
    2016 - Temple of the Dog San Francisco, CA (both shows)
    2017 - Soundgarden Dallas (cancelled) RIP Chris Cornell
    2018 - Smashing Pumpkins Chicago, IL (first show)
    2019 - Alice in Chains Milwaukee, WI
    2022 - Jerry Cantrell Chicago, IL
    2023 - Jerry Cantrell Milwaukee, WI

RIP Andrew Wood, Kurt Cobain, Layne Staley, and Chris Cornell

RIP Mom (may your star shine the brightest in the sky, our family loves and misses you very much, we'll meet again)

• Options
    SandyRavageSandyRavage Posts: 914
    edited March 2019
    the arguments in here have been really dry. 

And when I say dry, I'm talking nun levels of dry. 

You dislike the man because of his use of cymbals? Really? 

Matts 'time signatures'?  

The real difference between the two, given the sample size we have, is Abruzzese was able to bring the music up through Eddies voice. He knew when to pull back and let Ed shine, but he also knew when to beat the shit out of the drums and destroy a Snare like it owed him money. This became more apparent in the Vs. era when we got songs like Daughter and Small Town. This cymbal argument is stupid. Dave used the cymbals to keep his timing of the more fast paced songs better and accent parts of the song. The first couple of times he played with the band, all of that shit was ad-libbed as he had to figure out his groove with PJ. 

I'll give you an example: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPGiwRfGGkU

Everything Dave is doing with the splash (the smallest and most high pitched cymbal) from 1:24-2:00 is to keep time and accent. From 2:00-2:14 he pulls back on the splash accenting because he is anticipating the end of the Mikes mini solo. He then transitions his accenting to the China and other symbols. All of those are basically mini fills. Dave is literally going off the cuff to put something of his in the music that you may have never noticed before. So don't give me this bullshit that Dave A has no awareness. Watch the whole Porch solo. The man could JAM, then go back into the shit like nothing happened. To throw a shot out there, he didn't need a fucking drum solo... he WAS a fucking drum solo. 

I have absolutely no problem with MFC at all. But some of you have been listening to Ed for so long that you think you were also there that day that Abbruzzese supposedly said he quit. The funny thing is, the people saying MC is the best drummer for PJ just to slight Dave A are probably the same people who would tell you PJ isn't even Matt Camerons best work.

In the grand scheme of things, whats the point of arguing over this? We've literally had a vast spectrum of PJ drummers over different decades and eras. And if you ask me, each drummer we've gotten to meet has been perfect for the era they served in, and if it was any other way there would be a glitch in the matrix. If Dave A stayed behind the skins for PJ from 1991 to eternity, we would be so bored here we would have threads entitled "what if TOTD truly became Pearl Jam and Matt Cameron stayed behind the drum set?" The grass is always greener....
    Post edited by SandyRavage on
  • Options
    PB11041PB11041 Earth Posts: 2,765
    Dave is literally going off the cuff to put something of his in the music that you may have never noticed before. So don't give me this bullshit that Dave A has no awareness. Watch the whole Porch solo. The man could JAM, then go back into the shit like nothing happened. To throw a shot out there, he didn't need a fucking drum solo... he WAS a fucking drum solo. 

Who in this thread anywhere said Dave has no awareness of playing the drums.

His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

• Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    edited March 2019
    I have no issue with his drumming at all. But when people claim - as they did in that one thread that got shut down a couple years ago -  that he is THE reason for all of Pearl Jam’s success, I laugh hysterically.
  • Options
    I have no issue with his drumming at all. But when people claim - as they did in that one thread that got shut down a couple years ago -  that he is THE reason for all of Pearl Jam’s success, I laugh hysterically.
    Right, if that were true he would have gone and started another band that was at least equally as successful.  Alas, Dave Grohl he is not.  
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    Right, if that were true he would have gone and started another band that was at least equally as successful.  Alas, Dave Grohl he is not.  
    Tired and faulty argument. And you know it. 
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    Sure, care to explain how that doesn't support Dyer's argument?  Instead of your normal strategy of saying unsubstantiated idiotic shit, try providing some supporting argument?  Why didn't Dave A go on to do anything meaningful besides jail time if he was the force behind PJ?  Make an argument rather than trolling...once..please?  Give it a try genius.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Sure, care to explain how that doesn't support Dyer's argument?  Instead of your normal strategy of saying unsubstantiated idiotic shit, try providing some supporting argument?  Why didn't Dave A go on to do anything meaningful besides jail time if he was the force behind PJ?  Make an argument rather than trolling...once..please?  Give it a try genius.
    Why would I respond to someone describing me and talking to me like you do in your post? Answer that. Give it a try with all of your condescending.