The US Constitution

Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
Well, let's hear it.  Is it one of the greatest documents ever written.  It certainly has stood the test of time.  It seems most Americans are firmly behind the constitution.
Give Peas A Chance…

The US Constitution 10 votes

yes
80%
cincybearcatjeffbrPJPOWERBentleyspopHesCalledDyerOnWis97Gtilley8Meltdown99 8 votes
no
10%
Smellyman 1 vote
no opinion
10%
ConorKavanagh 1 vote
just burn it and start over
0%

Comments

• OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,812
    edited March 2019
    yes
    Yes.  There are more "hits" than "misses."  And the true genius is that it can be amended but not on a whim.

Who knows, maybe if the founding fathers could appear in 2019, they'd say "holy shit, you're still using that thing?"  I think our devotion to the constitution is a bit of a double-edged sword.  We like to (at least when it suits us) pretend that things cannot change over 200 years. Of course I say this as someone who doesn't love our interpretation (and the lack of change with technology) of the Second Amendment.  
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    yes
    The Constitution reminds me of when we were creating our Will.  You cannot foresee everything and some things in it are probably going to upset some people, but it is better to have it than not.
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    A limited yes from me.  Some of it needs to be re-written to work better in modern times, particularly the second amendment which was well written and positioned for it's time, yet is extremely outdated in the present.  And to make matters worse, the NRA and other gun fans very often quote it out of context  and only the parts that fit their agenda.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,929
    An honest question - what's the goal of the Constitution? I couldn't even succinctly tell you that, so I can't vote on whether it's hit the mark or not.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,812
    yes
    benjs said:
    An honest question - what's the goal of the Constitution? I couldn't even succinctly tell you that, so I can't vote on whether it's hit the mark or not.
    There are probably dozens of answers.  The first two things that come to mind for me are 1) a guarantee of rights that the government cannot take away from the people and 2) a backbone for the "law of the land."

For the most part, the Bill of Right (First ten amendments) protects people from the government.  
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited March 2019
    I don't like these options. I agreed with what S_C was saying in that other thread. The Constitution badly needs to be updated in several ways. That's not rewriting anything. It's keeping up with the times. The USA has managed to do that to a great extent through the SCOTUS, but there are some major points that still have to be addressed, especially when it comes to the 1st and 2nd amendments, and all the parts that have to do with what can and can't be done when it comes to corrupt or incapable presidents..... The way the SCOTUS is managed also needs to be updated, since it has become insanely partisan, which is very very dangerous for the country. The POTUS should absolutely NOT be allowed to nominate SCOTUS judges, for one thing, and partisan senates and houses should not be able to elect them.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,786
    benjs said:
    form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    CM189191 said:
    benjs said:
    form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity
    Also can be used to wipe one's ass in a pinch.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    dankind said:
    CM189191 said:
    benjs said:
    Also can be used to wipe one's ass in a pinch.
    Yes the current president has done this on a monthly basis some of it even got stuck on the bottom of his shoe remember...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    the problem is people look at it like it's the fucking bible. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

yes
    Not the Bible, “just” the supreme law of the United States :)
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    Maybe Trump will sign it, then. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    yes
    Hmmmm...not sure what I think about this.

We should be looking at it and it should be very difficult to change.  Otherwise you get what we sometimes get when we change leadership....just starting stuff and then stopping it and re-starting it, etc.  It should be looked at even more closely than the Bible.  I mean its actual written law of the country, it's not just one groups laws.
    hippiemom = goodness

We should be looking at it and it should be very difficult to change.  Otherwise you get what we sometimes get when we change leadership....just starting stuff and then stopping it and re-starting it, etc.  It should be looked at even more closely than the Bible.  I mean its actual written law of the country, it's not just one groups laws.
    yes, it should be difficult to change, absolutely. but people clutch to those AMENDMENTS like they are UNAMENDABLE. which, as you can see, makes absolutely zero sense. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    yes
    There are 3 statements presented, what exactly is the question we're voting on?
    edited March 2019
    yes
    I think the “is it one of the greatest documents” line maybe?
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,408
    PJPOWER said:
    lack of proper punctuation, its the only sentence that reads as a question.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,929

The parallels between a Constitution and the bible are plentiful.
    Both were constructed over a specific range of time, but are seen as absolutely and perpetually valid.
    Both justify the perpetual validity by providing guiding principles, under the assumption that values themselves are absolute, and that the absolute documents created accurately align with the absolute values. 
    Because values are often at odds with each other, both offer room for interpretation, and can be interpreted in ways authentic to the values they represent, or can be interpreted in ways antithetical to the intentions of the documents' drafter(s). 
    At least with the values of the nation, they are undeniably the values proposed for the design of America. I have no idea whose proposal the bible was (and whether a believer in god or not, we don't truly know whose words are on those texts).
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
    yes
    mickeyrat said:
    PJPOWER said:
    Yeah, I had to look at it twice too.
    yes
    mickeyrat said:
    PJPOWER said:
    Ah, derp.  I was reading it as "It is" instead of "Is it."
    They've got that one all wrong, for sure...

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

brianlux said:

i distinctly recall stumbling across this in my parents room one time when searching for stashes of cash. 

EEEESH
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

yes
    brianlux said:

i distinctly recall stumbling across this in my parents room one time when searching for stashes of cash. 

EEEESH
    Did you find the cash?
    brianlux said:

EEEESH
    Did you find the cash?
    My question is, did he find their stash?  :wink:

yes, I did. But I was temporarily distracted. LOL
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited March 2019
    It's okay, but I don't think it's superior to what is comparable in several other countries, and has some problems that some of those others don't, just because it's outdated in some ways. I wish Americans didn't feel so freaking married to it as it is. I agree some seem to think it's like what they conceive the Bible to be and can't be changed (and joke's on the Christians - even the Bible has actually been changed countless times over the Centuries to better suit respective political and social atmospheres).
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • njnancynjnancy Northern New Jersey Posts: 5,096
    CM189191 said:
    benjs said:
    Long live SchoolHouse Rock

https://youtu.be/GtYrorYu9OE